Author Topic: RMX question...  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
RMX question...
« on: August 28, 2009, 05:01:14 PM »
My spellcaster players are complaining that by the time the get done preparing a spell, the combat is over (or very close) or the conditions have changed so the spell is less applicable/efficient.
I too feel that the preparation rounds are a little harsh.

Anybody have any suggestions on mitigating casting times?

Thanks!
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMX question...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 05:20:15 PM »
SL allows one to cast a spell faster, by risking ESFs... Also, a spell class decreases as a caster's level increases, so it's more a matter of level if your spellcasters "often" have such a problem. Oh, wait, RMX? How different is it from RM2/C? Isn't it supposed to be pretty similar?
Anyway, based on the ESF idea, if RMX has spell fumbles at casting time, you can increase the fumble range, depending on how faster a spellcaster decides to cast his spell (SL suggests roughly +25% if one round faster, +50% if two rounds faster).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:29:04 PM by OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol »
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:04:18 PM »
Express Additions #10 has an article called "Irregular Casting Times", which essentially says casting spells take 1 round for every 5 PP in the spell (all rounds, except the last require 90% activity, last round requires 75% activity).

This allows for lower level spells to be cast faster, thus magician would have to decide between 1 round for a Shock Bolt or 2 rounds for a Lightning Bolt.

And if you use ESF options that allow less rounds at -10 per round, that makes things even faster for them.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »
Express Additions #10 has an article called "Irregular Casting Times", which essentially says casting spells take 1 round for every 5 PP in the spell (all rounds, except the last require 90% activity, last round requires 75% activity).

This allows for lower level spells to be cast faster, thus magician would have to decide between 1 round for a Shock Bolt or 2 rounds for a Lightning Bolt.

And if you use ESF options that allow less rounds at -10 per round, that makes things even faster for them.

Excellent!

Thanks Rasyr!
 ;D
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc