Author Topic: Navigator questions  (Read 6273 times)

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Navigator questions
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »
My new Jaiman map has all the Navigator Obelisks on it (which combines all the existing maps), as well as a redrawn Essaence flow map.    When I do the Emer map it will definitely include all the obelisks - not sure about the Flows.    They can shift over time, especially the minor ones.

Offline Kurgath

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »
I vaguely remember Terry saying somewhere that he was withdrawing the map of the Jaiman Essaence flows from circulation.

I can't remember if it was because he didn't want players to see it or if it was because he didn't like the map anymore.

When I bought the Jaiman pdf (for convenience) the Essaence flow map isn't in it, but it was in my original printed version dating back to something like 1995

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 12:06:16 PM »
I talked with Terry about it a couple months ago as I was drawing the map.   It was because how the flows can shift over time and so he didn't think a flow map was useful.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 05:44:08 AM »
I had forgotten about those. I mostly use the pdfs...

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 06:32:59 AM »
Hi, All,

There was a map of the flows in a small addendum to the First Edition Master Atlas (the boxed set.) I'm reasonably sure that it also showed weather patterns, techtonic plate boundaries, etc, etc. Along with a glossary of Shadow World terms. (I'll have a look and see if I can find my copy- although, lord knows where it actually is.) Don't remember it showing Navigator Obelisks, though.

Be useful if the maps were available.

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »
 I guess you could make a map of the shifting flows so GM's and players get an idea of how they can shift and not just that they shift here and here like a tidal shift.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 06:34:15 PM »
There were also flows shown in the Jamain book. I remember distinctly that therie was this solid circle flow around the forge in the big central lake.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 07:37:40 AM »
Note that the flows shown in the Jaiman book for Jaiman are completely different then the Jaiman flows shown in the atlas addendum flow map

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »
Just imagine it...
10 secret students who in their turn enroll 10 secret students of their own and so on.
Anarchy will follow... *evil laughter*

"Three can keep a secret if two are dead."

This lasts until one of the first generation of students is observed using navigator-like spells by a navigator.  Then eleven would-be navigators have mysterious accidents and it never reaches the third generation of 100 students.

Free hint to anyone who learns navigator spell lists without being a navigator:  don't tell a soul.

Free hint to anyone who comes into possession of a compass:  Summon a navigator and sell it to them.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 10:46:48 PM »
I'll have to dig up the Atlas flows, but yes I did regret trying to publish set ones. Think of them more like winds on our earth. The jet stream is always there, but it moves up and down across the continent. The gulf stream shifts. Major Flows never completely vanish but they may shift, and ebb and flow, while minor ones fluctuate much more, partly based on the changes in the major ones. And with the Northern Eye gone, there would be radical changes. And the navigators would play on this.

I am writing about this now because there is a major flow following the Spine of Emer, which sometimes blocks the Gap of Uj and the Cloud Pass. Think of how that can affect trade.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 01:53:09 PM »
Here's an idea: the Flows shift in a regular pattern, but the pattern is so long (say 500 years) that the only ones who know and have documented this are the elves (and other immortals). Which is why there are so many elven navigators.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 01:54:22 PM »
Of  course, with the northern eye gone, this would have changed everything so everyone is scrambling to figure out the new pattern.

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »
Here's an idea: the Flows shift in a regular pattern, but the pattern is so long (say 500 years) that the only ones who know and have documented this are the elves (and other immortals). Which is why there are so many elven navigators.

And every time Sa’kain visits Kulthea, the patterns change (until the next visit, when they change again).

Remember, Sa’kain is imbued with powerful Essænce and almost every visit of is a harbinger of terrible flow-storms and other magical disruptions all across Kulthea.

DonMoody

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 04:24:10 PM »
I would put Sa'kain as a temporary alteration to the flows, not permanent. When it is near the flows go wacky, but after it goes they return back to their normal pattern. How long does the comet's path take again? Thousand's, tens of thousand's of years, right?

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 11:27:54 PM »
1500 years

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 03:24:03 AM »
1500 years

Hmmm... why did I think it was longer? Still, only the elves would be able to keep active records of the event.