Author Topic: Yet another question, equipment for higher starting levels  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Mhairtrym

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Yet another question, equipment for higher starting levels
« on: July 05, 2009, 11:41:45 AM »
I have noticed alot of people here will start a PC at a higher level say lv 3-7.  If you do this do you give them any more starting money, or equipment?  Or do you leave that alone and simply assume this was gained from more indepth training before going out.

Also for a NPC, for example for one PC they have a rival, Major, it turns out this is a higher level NPC say level 12 or so what kind of equipment might you hand him to start off.  So far in the RMSS/ARMFRP books I have I have not seen any specific rules regarding this or guildelines.  Thanks again for your input.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Yet another question, equipment for higher starting levels
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »
 I start PC's at 3-5 and give them no extra equipment or special equipment unless the story calls for it or they spend some Talent Points on a special table I create for my world.

For NPC's IMO it really depends on your game world and what would be the norm in that world. I do not really have a better answer than that.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »
In RM equipment does not depends on a character's level, but on his background: you can find a 20° lvl fighter with no magic items at all and a 1° lvl character with an ancient magical +20 weapon and a daily item.

For PCs I usually give them the normal starting equipment or whatever I think would fit their background.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Mhairtrym

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 04:23:08 PM »
Hmm what about herbs and things like that?  Would they have any more starting income?  So far I have done much like you, If I start an PC above level 1 I do the normal creation, with talents and flaws.  Then give normal starting equipment plus any items added by a training package.  Now if they start later they may get another training package if it fits, and follows the one Lifestyle TP, and vocational.  Ussually they will have an age at which they will start, and TP's cannot put them over that age.

Now NPC's I had to create a rival and made the rival basically 10 levels above the PC, in most adventures the NPC's have a few items.  In this case I followed the normal character creation rules and rolled random talent/flaws.  This NPC is an older Elven race.  By the way planned to use in Shadow World.  It's the idea that the NPC has lived a life either with an adventure here or their or becoming the head of a city cult.  Even if they do not have magic items they had to earn money.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 05:19:13 PM »
 I hand out herbs based on culture and background but if the world is herb heavy or if combat is going to be tough at the beginning I tend to hand out more herbs to aid them.
 The big thing about herbs is that they do not last forever unless there is magic keeping them fresh. This in itself can be a problem for a GM and players or a boon to the GM who gave out a few to many at the start of the adventure or during a specific point in the game. Look at the Ess Comp for some good stuff on keeping stuff from spoiling and how to handle herbs in solutions.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.