Author Topic: Some magic item creation questions  (Read 2697 times)

Offline whitedalek

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Some magic item creation questions
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:22:42 AM »
I have a few magic item creation questions.  I'll be grateful for any answers.  My players are entering a long downtime and are looking to get some items created and a few questions arose.

1:  Can an item be given a DB bonus in of itself?  An example is an item from the Lords of Middle Earth supplement such as a headband that gives +20 DB.  Would it be a constant item or armor?  How about a ring of DB?  (My players have come from D&D).

2:  Another example from the Lords of Middle Earth are robes that protect as chain or plate.  Can that be done in RMSS?  It seems that you could only increase an AT up to 2 spots, such as AT2 to AT4.

3:   Can robes be given a DB bonus?

4:  Is there a recommended cost for a caster to cast a spell on a character?  Healing, rez, etc.

5:  I know that there used to be a price reduction for making an item for a specific person or class, but I can't find it in my RMSS books.  (I lost a bunch of my older RM books in a hurricane a few years back).  Can someone give me the price reduction?

Thanks for the help.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Some magic item creation questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:14:02 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

First, an advice: most of the items from Lords of Middle-Earth are really powerful, they're made for characters of really high level (just check the level of the elf-lords...).

1. Yes, an item can give a bonus to DB, and it would be considered a "bonus item"... I suggest you to make most of the DB boosting items armors or similar items. Smaller items, like rings, can be enchanted to give a bonus to DB, but imho it's better to keep the bonuses from such item low (+10 or lower).

2. A robe that protect a character like a plate armor is an artifact-like item imho, extremely rare and difficult to find.

3. Yes  ;)

4. This really depends on the economy of your setting and on how is magic common in your world.

5. I think it's in the Tresaure Companion.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:44:18 PM »
Whitedalek,
 As you said most of your questions about items are from Middle Earth products which used the RM2 material. But some of the items do translate very well to RMSS/FRP but there are some others that are very powerful compaired to RMSS magic level.
 Also some of the questions you have about items can be found in the Armsmaster profession from The Mentalism Comp and maybe in the Of Mentalism book. BTW, the Armsmaster is one of my favorite professions to play.

1) There are items that give DB bonus through superior metals and magical bonuses. The GM has to make the decision to what the bonus is from and go from there. So your circlet is basicly a metal head band that protects the wearer as if they were wearing a helm, which gives them a +20 DB. I would rule that the DB bonus it is magical as the item is not a helm. 
 2) Yes
 3) Yes
 4) I can not think of a chart right now but depending on your game it can be a lot or a little.
 5) I do not think there is a cost reduction for limiting a magic item to a specific person, group, race, etc. It is generally a spell that is added to prevent magic items from falling into use by people you do not want to use the item.
 If there are rules for limiting users it would be in the TC.

Also a GM may change the rules as he or she see's fit as it is their game and game world. So I would check it out with the GM or bring the GM the info so he can fgure it out.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:58:18 PM »
Okay, so I'm the local resident alchemist lover, always re-reading the Treasure Companion, so I'll go ahead.

1.  Yes and no.  You cannot give a straight armor bonus to a non-protective item as you would an armor or shield.  What you can do, however:
A) Create a general item giving a bonus to adrenal defense.  Obviously, that means the bonus only applies where adrenal defense applies, and under the same conditions.  For monks though, bandanas, etc. will work wonders, but it might be less useful to those who already wear armor, use weapons, don't have spare action %, etc.
B) You can give an armor bonus to an item that can be used for parry, but the bonus would only apply if actively used to parry.  For an exemple, a sword could be given a +X DB bonus similar to an armor, but it would apply only when full OB is used defensively - ie: when the sword becomes a shield.  The nice thing is it would stack with the magical bonus of the sword itself.
C) You can create a constant item with a defensive spell on it, from Shield & Blur to Deflections I which would automatically be used 1/round(would require item intelligence to work though), etc.
D) Daily / Charged items, with more limited impacts.

There are a few more ways I could think of that would be more obscure.  But the basic way you could get a ring of +X DB would either be through constant item(costly, and requiring lvl 30+ alchemists), or through a general item of +X to Adrenal defense, again limited by the restrictions which apply to adrenal defense.

Another thing I could think of is using an Armor spell on a circlet to make it protect as a helm, the same way you could make a buckler protect as a wall shield for exemple, and it would require a separate enchantment to also give DB.  That would be another option.

2: To get AT 3 or 4 from a robe is easy, it only requires an appropriate level armor spell.  To get AT 5-20, you would need a constant item with the appropriate spell giving an AT imbedded.

3: Yes, robes are AT 2 armors, they can be enchanted with regular armor spells, or given a constant spell of Enchanted Robes, for exemple, but the former option is cheaper.

4: Depends on the spell used, the level of the caster.  I'll direct you to p. 53 of Essence Companion for a good table.  Without giving the same numbers, you might want to consider base cost of 2 bp / level of the spell for pure spell users, adjust it down if the spell isn't a base list, adjust it up if the spell is high level.  Spells which might have a direct market value (Herb mastery spells improving the effectiveness of an herb for exemple, Earth Law used to build a whole building from scratch, etc.), a risk factor, legal implication, etc. might also have different costs.

5:  Actually, there isn't, that's in D&D, and I haven't found any reason to believe keying an item to a class gives a cost reduction, despite my digging in the Treasure Companion repeatedly about the subject.  Keying in RM is basically a way to control who has access to the item, not a way to reduce costs.  And its highly suggested to DMs not to allow keying to particular individual, mostly for balance considerations (if items could be keyed to work for someone, all old elven relics might end up unusable, as they could be created for immortal King X who doesn't want his toys stolen, for exemple).