Author Topic: Wanted: Advice from an Evil Genius  (Read 5509 times)

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Wanted: Advice from an Evil Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »
OK, a scenario composed of the thing the others stated:

My first thought on this was:
There was the historical incident in which a train just disapeared (it becomes that ghost train).
In the historical incident the train-personal couldn't deccelerate the train as it approaches the bridge.
So a magician/witch/priest/sorceror spell caster opens a gate in front to send it to another plane (and so prevent it to fall from the bridge). But it didn't save the people on it, so they found a way back as ghost who want to die in that incident (fall off the bridge).

Now the PCs are on the historical train (play it like it is the real train, but there are ghost giving them hints or just fighting them, some of the ghost are theyself, like Devvin is aperaring some of the others and talking strange things (giving him a ghostly appearance later or never?). *

But a spell caster stands up and tells something about opening a gate in front of the train ...
___

The other twist: The soul engine (also is a nice idea)
But since Davvin's family was involved in the construction, it is unknown or did someone else change the construction, so the idea of boiling water just didn't function so the "engineerer" came up with "soul fire".
The souls escape the enigne core and want to end their pain with that accident collision. To free the souls means to stop the train (but this may mean to end this kind of transportation, if it becomes general knowlegde how the trains are fueled).
___
To insert a roof fight: Let the PCs have to get to the tender over the roof and the ghost didn't want them there. *
___

And now another twist:
As we learned (and no one took it) an opposing NPC is on the train.
So only together they can solve the problem.
* Or the opposing NPC is the one of the ghosts who tries to warn the PCs about the truth (If they aren't successful s/he would also die). Or stop them from getting over the roof to the tender.
___

And they really evil thing:
The PCs have to let the historical train (they really aren't on it) fall off the bridge to succeed (or someone have to get an idea how to stop the train).
But would they believe their opposing NPC ?
___

Hope it make sense ...

R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 08:37:07 PM »
All this talk of a runaway train.  You must see Runaway Train - Jon Voight's finest work!

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 01:20:04 AM »
These are some really evil ideas.  I like 'em.

I like the thought of getting the rival NPC involved.  He has a couple henchmen with him to do his dirty work. He is the son of a very wealthy Count, and doesn't have to do that sort of thing for himself.  He might interfere with the PCs by habit, without realizing he is putting his own life (soul?) in danger too. 

I think I am going to throw in some shamanistic magic too.  The train could be running through who knows how many graveyards, shrines, and other holy sites.  The folks who built the railroads in the US sure didn't mind trampling a few dozen traditions.  Perhaps this is the way a particular tribe struck back, and could explain how the historical train crashed.  Or perhaps the tribe is just now acting, in a less violent way, to show these crazy "civilized" folk the error of their ways. 

Ooooh.  Perhaps the historical train crashed in one of the holy sites, and because they defiled it when the track was built, both the souls originally in the graveyard and the souls of the passengers are continually struggling, unable to move on.  That provides a handy pool of bad guys: the warriors and shamans from the ancient tribe.  The rich fops on the train probably get slaughtered each night, and the PCs will have to figure out that defending them is not the solution to the problem.  Perhaps they have to find a way to "cleanse" the burial ground.

So many good plots here.  I started off not being able to think of anything.  Now I have to choose one from a bunch of good ideas.  Decisions, decisions... ???

There was no deity involved.  It was my cross-circuiting to B...

Offline Archangel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 01:38:31 PM »
During the formal dinner in the dining car (or private compartment) one of the PC's finally makes a gen. perception roll, and notices that the signet ring of the Barron's son is missing. Not only is it personally important but also is keyed to the magical back door at home (and maybe a few other places) so it must be found! (the PC may not know about the key until the thief found later spills the beans)! After searching for a bit a few other passengers notice things are missing. a car by car search (assuming that due to the movement of the train Tracking  spells (Ranger list) are useless. A thief is caught (or clues of a thief are found leading off the train) the thief was not targeting the party, just got "lucky". The thief has a prearranged time/ place he chucks any goods off the train so he doesn't get caught red-handed. And as luck would have it, that was some time ago.  Of course he recognized the house signet and after a "lucky" attunement knows about the key (or suspects) and scratched out some instructions to his partners to quickly head to the summer/winter estate to grab easy(er) loot..... on with the chase.
This can lead to finding a bandit camp or a more well organizes crime syndicate.... Yea to the heroes!
The Eeeevviiillll part comes when you taunt the pc's with thoughts of having to pay for new magical doors, parental disapproval and what not.

:angel3:

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 07:17:19 PM »
If anyone is interested, here is the "history" I will be using for the Great Train Disaster.  I am going to use Arioch's idea of a Ghost Train.  The PCs will find themselves in the Grand Dining Car at 10:51 PM on the night of the crash.  They will have 62 minutes to solve the mystery, (I hate the thought of giving them exactly one hour) and I will be tracking time very carefully during this adventure.  The point of the entire adventure will be for them to discover the truth of what happened.  Since I haven't decided on it, I can't reveal that truth just yet.

The PCs will have access to some of this information based on a History roll.  Davvin Del Tarrion will be allowed a bonus to this roll, since it is his own family history.  Most of them will have a rudimentary knowledge of the diesaster, but little in the way of specifics.  Since all the PCs are third level, and all the players (except one) are serious power-gamers, I doubt any of them took History skill, so they will have to spend their precious minutes learning what they need to know.

I'm not sure where the snakes will come from, but I'm confident I can work something out.

26 years ago, on the first commercial run of the new rail line from Yorndale to Relian, celebrating the completion of the last segment of this line, there was a terrible disaster.  Just before midnight on April 23rd, the Colossus, the largest, most opulent passenger train ever built, ran off the tracks in a steep section of the line and crashed into a deep ravine.  Only 12 people survived by jumping from the moving train several miles before the crash.  Many others jumped, but were killed by the fall onto the rocky terrain.  Of the 12 who survived, none were able to tell exactly what happened.  All of the survivors were passengers.  The crew of the train remained to the end, trying desperately to fix the problem. 

22 nobles of the region were killed in the crash, including the elderly Count Chester.  Ironically, Count Chester was one of the major investors in the line, and was so enthusiastic about the new trains that he was credited as the first to say, ?The gods themselves could not stop this train.? 

The Del Tarrion family was nearly bankrupt by the disaster.  Much of the house revenue was tied up in the speculative venture.  It is said that the elderly Cleon Del Tarrion, Barron Yorndale, sacrificed his health to save his project.  He worked until the day he died to try to uncover the truth of the accident.  He lived to see his dream become reality, but died without knowing the truth of what happened on that night. 

Since the time of the crash, there have been many theories of what happened.  The theories range from conspiracies and assassination plots to accusations of sloppy manufacture and poor safety standards.  There are only a few facts about what happened, based on statements from the 12 survivors and other records:

?  The clock from the grand dining car was salvaged from the wreckage.  The time on the stopped clock was 11:53 PM.  It is widely accepted that this was the time of the actual crash. 

?  The Model 17 engine pulling the train was the most powerful engine yet created.  In fact, no engine that powerful has been created since.  It used a multi-chambered ?hot box? steam production system.  (In game terms, a Heat Solid spell was used to heat metal plates to 500 of, with Cool Solid spells in place to contain the heat in the proper places.  These plates were lowered into water tanks to create steam.  Because the plates could not cool off for the duration of the spell, the hot plates could produce large amounts of steam.)  This model train used 8 separate chambers and could use them one at time or all together depending on the load.  The Engineer could adjust the speed by raising or lowering the plates in the different chambers using a series of levers to increase or decrease the amount of steam.  The plates themselves were enchanted periodically by magicians working for the railroad, and the enchantments typically lasted for weeks before they needed to be refreshed.  For this reason magicians were not typically carried on the trains, and the engineers did not normally have any skill with magic. 

?  The Engineer could bleed off excess steam by continuously sounding the train?s whistle.  All of the survivors remarked that the train whistle began to blow continuously at about 11:30 PM, although the exact time varied by account. 

?  Barney Luddick (<< Where did that HTML code come from?  I can't get rid of it.  Anyway, Barney's last name is Riddick.)  was in the dining car at 10:55 PM when he saw the conductor walking quickly through the car toward the front of the train.  He did not think anything of it at the time, but remembered the conductor seemed unusually distressed.  Barney admits he was not paying close attention at the time, because he was deep into a conversation and bottle of brandy with his companion Dr. Jason Billick.  Dr. Billick jumped from the train with Barney, but was severely injured in the fall, and died before help could arrive.  Sadly, Dr. Billick could have saved the lives of several other passengers had he not himself been critically injured. 

?  Ted Lane, a talented young Magician and son of an up-and-coming merchant clan, was a passenger who survived.  He was in the dining car when he heard the train whistle begin to blow continuously (by his account, the time was 11:34 PM).  He made his way forward.  He later said he managed to go over the top of the cars to the engineer?s compartment (which is not normally accessible while the train is in motion).  He said the top of the engine was almost too hot to walk on.  He tried to shut down the engine by countering the spells heating the plates within the engine.  After repeated tries, he was unsuccessful at breaking the powerful spells.  The Engineer, by this time, was trying to use the brakes to slow the train which was cresting a rise and beginning to accelerate dangerously.  As the brakes began to fail, the Engineer told Ted to get out and save himself.  Ted used his remaining magic to fly from the train as it speeded down toward the MacIntyre Bridge.  Ted later gave only one account of the crash as the train jumped the track on the curve just before the bridge and fell into the canyon.  After, he said it was too painful a memory and refused to discuss it ever again.  Ted was the only passenger to escape the train without injury.

?  Many conspiracy theories involve Ted as the evil manipulator on the train.  The fact that a branch of his family later married into the Del Tarrion family, coincidentally bringing the family the wealth it needed to keep the railroad going, figures prominently in several variations.  Opponents of this theory point out that the Lanes were a large and prominent family in the Yorndale region, and it was not unlikely to have a member of that family on the train.  It was also almost inevitable that a member of the Lane family would someday marry into the Del Tarrion family.  But coincidence is the fuel of the conspiracy theory, and this one was too strong to be denied. 

?  Ellen Brown, the eldest daughter of a wealthy merchant family, remarked that she saw a ?Mysterious Stranger? in the Observation Lounge around half past eleven.  Her descriptions of the Stranger changed in different variations of her story, and she is variously considered to be hysterical or mistaken by most of the population.  She died of a fever 3 month after the crash, possibly brought on by her injuries.  The conspiracy theorists generally accept her stories, and claim her subsequent death ?proves? their theory since she was ?silenced? by the guilty parties for being a witness to their devious plot(s).  The fever story was, naturally, all a cover up. 

?  Andre Unden was only 8 years old on the night of the disaster.  His parents were both killed.  They all jumped together, and his parents shielded him from the fall.  He was injured but recovered.  He was raised by his father?s side of the family.  He remembers the brakes squealing for a ?long time? but did not remember the actual time they started.  He woke up when he first heard the brakes.  Shortly after that, his parents left their compartment, then returned a few minutes later and took Andre with them for their ill-fated leap from the train. 

?  At about 11:35 PM, Finneus Workman saw huge flames coming from the galley car.  Finneus was one of the lower-class passengers, and he was in the ?common? dining car to the rear of the galley car. His table was about 1/3 of the way back from the front of the car, and he remembered the flames almost completely obscuring his view out the window.  It was later determined that the now-dangerous speed of the train had caused some kind of accident in the galley resulting in a large oil fire.   The galley car was fully consumed in flames before the train left the tracks.  As the flames began to spread to the rear of the train, driven by the wind of their passage, Finneus chose to risk a jump to the rocky ground rather than be burned alive.  As he stood at the rear doors of the car, one of the pursers decided to attempt to disconnect his car from the forward section of the train.  Before the other passengers could stop him, the purser opened the connecting door and the interior of the car was engulfed in flames.  Finneus slammed the connecting door on the rear of the car shut in time to save himself.  As the flames spread back to his passenger car people began to panic. Many were hiding in their cabins.  Others were running around screaming.  Several tried to go forward to help those in the dining car.  Finneus was one of many who chose to jump from the burning section of the train.  He broke his leg in three places when he hit the ground, and later lost his leg below the knee to infection. 

?  The other seven survivors of the train wreck all came from the ?common? ranks of passengers in the back of the train where the fire was the worst.  They all tell of a small, mousy young woman who helped them escape the flames of the dying train.  None can remember her name, but they all agree on one thing; they would not have survived without her.  She took charge of the panicking group of passengers, her voice cutting through the noise as she shouted instructions to all.  As the flames raced back into the passenger car at the last, she stood between the fire and the passengers, her arms up and her hands pressing forward as if she could hold back the fire.  The inferno stopped its advance as if held back by an invisible wall.  Jason Brant, the last survivor out of the train, remembered looking up from the ground to see several others jumping out, the last of them burning in the night as they fell.  The unknown woman never made it out of the train.  Her identity remains a mystery. 

?  On one occasion, Jason Brant remarked that he thought he saw people fighting on top of the train.  When pressed for details he demurred, saying the only light was from the burning cars and he was probably seeing things.  The conspiracy theorists loved this tidbit, and it figures in many of their versions of the disaster. 

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 09:03:47 AM »
22 nobles of the region were killed in the crash, including the elderly Count Chester.  Ironically, Count Chester was one of the major investors in the line, and was so enthusiastic about the new trains that he was credited as the first to say, ?The gods themselves could not stop this train.? 

Ah, it was divine vengeance then. Don't annoy the gods in a world where they're real.

One caster with Lofty Bridge could have saved a lot of lives.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »
There was one caster with Lofty Bridge on the train.  According to his story, he was trying to stop the train, and only flew off at the last second. 

I figured there were only a few casters of any type on the train, as they are not a huge percentage of the population.  I assume a higher concentration will be among the rich and influential, but there weren't more than 200 people on the train, so 2 or 3 casters seemed a good number. 

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »
Yes, he used his PP trying to save the train. I expect, assuming he told a true story, that part of his later reluctance to discuss the wreck was a sense of guilt when he considered how many of the jumpers could have survived if he'd used those PP casting Landing spells instead. That'd boost the ol' survivor guilt up a notch.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 08:14:17 PM »
I expect, assuming he told a true story, that part of his later reluctance to discuss the wreck was a sense of guilt when he considered how many of the jumpers could have survived if he'd used those PP casting Landing spells instead.

Now that raises another interesting question.  Would Landing have worked?  I know the spell allows you to "land safely from any fall up to a certain distance based on level," but is that just the vertical dimension?  The "fall" itself was only about 10 - 20 feet, depending on the variations in terrain, but the motion of the train itself added in the real deadly factor.    Would "Landing" cancel your sideways motion too?   ???

I suppose a truly evil GM would have you land safely from the fall, then slap sideways into a rock at 40 mph... 

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »
FatSteve,
 I think you have just created a new spell, Negate Momentum. Now all you have to do it give it a rank and fill in all the good stuff.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 12:09:17 AM »
The difficulty in landing is just that sudden stop. It shouldn't matter what direction you happened to be going in. If the train is going fast enough, the lad might not have been able to complete negate the impact, but injured is a lot better than splattered. The Landing spell is not Feather Fall. It does not work against gravity, it just allows you to absorb the impact safely.

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 02:17:04 AM »
The Landing spell is not Feather Fall. It does not work against gravity, it just allows you to absorb the impact safely.

So, could you use it to safely absorb the impact of something else?  Cast it just before you are hit by a bus, for instance?  Or perhaps it just works to negate the target's momentum.  Yeah, that was probably the intent.  But what about spell mastery?  Hmmmm....

I think you have just created a new spell, Negate Momentum.

Warning!  RPN is now required!  Break out the HP calculators and let no function go unused!

Level 3 - Negate Momentum I* (c) (F):  Target object loses momentum in the amount of 1 kgm/s2 each round.  The loss of momentum is gradual, occurring over the course of the entire round. 

Level 6 - Negate Momentum II* (c) (F):  As Negate Momentum I, except target loses 5 kgm/s2 each round. 

Level 10 - Negate Momentum III* (c) (F):  As Negate Momentum I, except target loses 10 kgm/s2 each round.

Level 15 - Negate Momentum IV* (c) (F):  As Negate Momentum I, except target loses 20 kgm/s2 each round.

Level 20 - Neagate Momentum True* (c) (F):  As Negate Momentum I, except target loses 2 kgm/s2 per level each round.

But then this would beg the question, "Momentum in what frame of reference?"  Then the physics would start to fly, and people would argue this could cause the target to move relative to the earth, or would work differently at near light speeds, or other problems I can't even imagine.  Then the calculators and slide rules would come out and the entire game would devolve into a giant intellectual towel fight.  And you know how ugly those can get.   ;D

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 08:18:38 AM »
Just use the landing spell.  The GM then only needs to figure out how many feet a round the PC is moving at and apply accordingly.

Geeks.  Geesh.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 06:15:04 AM »
FatSteve,
 There momentum would be relative to the field of magic it trumps the physical laws when used.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 09:43:38 AM »
oh, throw in some Ori and have some fun with that.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
How Evil do you want? The problem isn't comming up with nastiness, it's keeping the pc's alive or at least giving them a fair chance of staying alive.
Keeping it simple...
- An Evil Cleric is always bad news
- A Lich
- A wraith
- Never forget the minions...
It's all human sized. Maybe the railroad passes by som ancient burial grounds? Maybe the inhabitants doesn't like being disturbed all the time by the train going past? Creating a railroad disaster is easy. Like I said, the hard part is giving them a fighting chance.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »
While the ghost train idea works for this trip, you might want to look at this month's Guild Companion. The White Lady could be adapted for rail and feature in a future train-based adventure.

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 03:43:08 PM »
good idea.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline FatSteve

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »
Yeah, I looked at the White Lady in the Guild Companion.  I think a place could be found for her in my game...