Author Topic: Rolemaster Companion I is BACK!  (Read 7058 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Rolemaster Companion I is BACK!
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:37:07 PM »
The first and the original Rolemaster Companion is back in shiny new electrons. A true classic, revitalised, reformatted, and renewed.

If you're new to Rolemaster Classic, Rolemaster Companion I adds new professions (such as Archmage, Druid, Nightblade and Paladin), new spells and new spell lists (with proper RM Classic spell typing), new races  (with Racial Level Offsets), new monsters (meet the Black Reaver), intelligent artifacts, magic item construction rules, and a whole lot more.

If you're a RM2 fan from way back and your copy of Rolemaster Companion I (like mine) has seen hard usage, here's an opportunity to retire your original copy to a place of honour.

Available from guild.ironcrown.com and our other outlets.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster Companion I is BACK!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:51:56 AM »
Yay!  I always wanted a PDF copy of this book because of how much I use it.

Oh, and that's 'Mister Black Reaver' to you.  ;D
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 01:39:55 AM »
Are there many (or indeed any) changes from the original? I have a copy of the original and its still in good condition, so it doesn't need replacement. However, if there's new material (or slight alterations to fit with RMC rather than RM II) then I'd likely buy a copy - which I may anyway just to help support the Guild Companion.

Hawk

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 02:52:46 AM »
Are there many (or indeed any) changes from the original? I have a copy of the original and its still in good condition, so it doesn't need replacement. However, if there's new material (or slight alterations to fit with RMC rather than RM II) then I'd likely buy a copy - which I may anyway just to help support the Guild Companion.

Hawk

We added in RM Classic spell classifications (in addition to the original RM2 spell types), put in the necessary Racial Level Offset notes for the new races, did some very modest tweaking of herb names where there were potential IP issues, and removed one very modest paragraph that was entirely to do with a certain other game system. Plus brand-new art and layout.

I'd need to consult my notes for any other changes but the aim was to bring the book back as close as possible to the original content, but in a better condition.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:04:54 AM »
And it looks really nice too ... layout is much better than the original

All the professions are grouped together

Spell lists are laid out properly

readability is greatly improved.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:29:25 AM »
Does that mean that the Delver profession actually has spell lists this time?  That mess they made of the Delver lists the last time was hideous from a design perspective.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 10:35:55 AM »
Does that mean that the Delver profession actually has spell lists this time?  That mess they made of the Delver lists the last time was hideous from a design perspective.

Yes, we fixed the Delver's spell lists. From talking to the people who contributed various odds and ends to RM Comp I, the book had more or less been finished, they happened to meet up with ICE folk at a convention or somesuch, made some suggested contributions and they were all then shoehorned in (the contributions, not the people).

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:23:13 AM »

LOL ... the delver lists were always there, but in a different format, and in the wrong place :)

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 12:29:38 PM »
And it looks really nice too ... layout is much better than the original

All the professions are grouped together

Spell lists are laid out properly

readability is greatly improved.

thankyou  ::)

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline Bubba Ho-Tep

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Kentucky Fried Gamers
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 10:18:50 PM »
There went $15 of my money.
Life is like a dogsled team, unless you are the lead dog, the view never changes.

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 02:12:32 AM »
and well spent it was too..... ;D

this was possibly the most useful of all the companions, so for those new to RMC it will be great, for those of us who are old RM2 hacks, it's needed just to replace our very tired and well used hard copies.

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 07:58:59 PM »
S'funny, companion 2 saw more use with us, but just for the tables and the unified skill listings.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 05:55:18 AM »
LordMiller>I would agree with you on that, RoCoII was the sh*t back then. But considering how RMC is written and how the new ICE team are talking I'm thinking RoCoII would look quite different today skillwise.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 12:27:27 AM »
True, IMO it might not be best to have quite so many skills that seem, in retrospect to be shades of the same thing. . .

I think near the peak of my RM2 bloatology days, people were taking Iajitsu and Adrenal Quick Draw and stacking the bonuses. . .just as a for instance.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 03:26:49 PM »
My 10+ year old Rolemaster Companion is still useful. :)
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline Aotrs Commander

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »
Hmm. Considering my copy of RoCo I has literally fallen apart (though I still use it!), I may have to invest in the new version at some point. (Have to be after Christmas now, though.)

Incidently, it and C&T II are the only ones out of the ENTIRE RM2 line I have that has (after what, nearly twenty years of use, heavy use at that, until about 2000 when D&D 3.0 came out); though the covers of the original RM and Spacemaster and Arms Law are a bit tattered and/or detached.

Nice to know...

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 04:23:32 PM »
it's testament to the sheer quality of those original prints...

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »
Just ordered my pdf like a week ago. Very happy with it, and eagerly awaiting a print run so I can get in book form too. Even managed to find a pdf of the old RM2 Companion 1 and downloaded it to compare it with the new one and the new one is very excellent in layout compared to the old one so I'm still happy to have supported you guys. Now I am just waiting for next Guild Companion to arrive hehe.

Offline GamerDude

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »
The first and the original Rolemaster Companion is back in shiny new electrons. A true classic, revitalised, reformatted, and renewed.

If you're new to Rolemaster Classic, Rolemaster Companion I adds new professions (such as Archmage, Druid, Nightblade and Paladin), new spells and new spell lists (with proper RM Classic spell typing), new races  (with Racial Level Offsets), new monsters (meet the Black Reaver), intelligent artifacts, magic item construction rules, and a whole lot more...
I just wanted to say I'm finding how ICE is organizing it's website and the online store.

The description (above) for the RM Companion I says it is for RMC. Yet it is not listed on the main page for RMC, and when you check it out in the online store the cover is totally different from the other RMC products.  Finding it is also not easy as it is not listed with the other RMC products.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 04:27:34 AM »
GamerDude ... the Republished RoCo 1 is published by the Guildcompanion ... not by ICE; as such, its in the Guiildcompanion store