Author Topic: Thank you Rolemaster  (Read 5402 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thank you Rolemaster
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:00:05 AM »
I wanted to post this because of all the fun this game has provided for me over the years.  I picked this up sometime in 1988 and couldn't believe the detail.  We were playing Warhammer and AD&D then and frankly it was pretty vanilla (except the Warhammer crits I thought).  I seen the Arms Law and was mesmerized by the detail.

I bought all of them and locked myself away from my group for about a week.  It was so different from anything I had played that I instantly was a fanboy.  When I told my group not to bring their AD&D books they started to whine like players do.  When we rolled up characters their mouths dropped wide open.  They just sat there and couldn't believe the adventures and fun that awaited them. 

Through the years we played everything, but always came back to Rolemaster because of the detail.  We used to have character sheets that were 10 pages long and loved every minute of it.  It seems other products come along, but we always come back to Rolemaster for the real meat and potatoes of gaming.

Recently we brought in some young pups (16 yr olds) who played DnD and stuff.  They seen my huge Rolemaster collection and asked if they could play!  The old guard at the table told them they are to young and wouldn't understand it.  I brushed them off and now we started another Rolemaster campaign.  This time we are using the Talsilanta world (easily converted into RM) and they cannot believe how all the weird classes in Talislanta easily are in Rolemaster.

They thought people like Cartomancers, Astromancers, Talismancers and Warrior Mages wouldn't fit in RM.  I pulled out all of the old RM companions and they just drooled.

Well I would like to raise my glass to ICE and the Rolemaster community for making my years of gaming oh so enjoyable!

Offline bottg

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Arion Games
Re: Thank you Rolemaster
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:16:55 AM »
I'm in with this.

We started playing Rolemaster in about '89

SInce then, we have had thousands of hours of gaming time, and more than 80% of that will have been Rolemaster!!

The fact that i am about to start a new RMC campaign in a week or so, despite having hundreds of game books and systems says it all

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:40:03 AM »
Ditto, and in a big way.  Been playing RM since 1982.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »
Yeah, count me as a RM fan too...it's a great game!
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:20:29 PM »
I GMed on many systems and our party enjoy changing from time to time but RM is definitively one of my favorite, I always come back to it sooner or later. Glad to see ICE is planning to release new products and that the game is still "alive"  ;)

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »
My best friends, who are like a second family to me, introduced me to roleplaying when I was young.  The father had been playing since Chainmail, and he taught his son and daughter the family-fun of roleplaying.  I was brought into the flock, and had a session of AD&D2.

When I was maybe fifteen, some other friends from school wanted to try D&D.  We bought the starter kit, and had a blast.  Well we loved D&D, but we thought we could make it better.  We started working on our own roleplaying system.

Then I met up with my best friends again, and they brought me into a game of Rolemaster, Dad's favorite game; he even had a copy of the original Arms Law.  Rolemaster was everything I wanted in roleplaying, and it was more.

I didn't make a race/class combination with bonuses, I made a character with certain natural affinities.  Combat was long, but tense.  I didn't care that we didn't have pieces on a board; hearing "E critical" was far more satisfying than knocking a piece on its side (conversely, when you're told you take an "I Electric Critical", your brain dies for a moment.  Apparently there's more than five letters in the alphabet.  Never stick your long sword in an electrical outlet).

Since then, I've obtained my own Rolemaster FRP books, and am currently working hard to make a campaign setting (and completely overhaul the magic system).  Rolemaster gives me everything I want.  It gives me detail as a player, but most importantly, FLEXIBILITY as a GM.  Despite being a youth in a generation of preferring free things on the internet (because they're not going to support "the man"), I love Rolemaster.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 08:17:05 PM »
Well, when you purchase and play Rolemaster, your not supporting "the man", your supporting "the cats".

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 08:36:07 PM »
And as a former cat-owner, I'm aware that felines are the true Masters.  So by supporting The Cats directly, we cut out The middle Man.

Do I get Experience for solving the mystery? 8)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »
The current ICE has always known that the cats were in charge...

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 01:23:04 AM »
As a current dad to 3 cats - siblings: Big Dog, Boots & Little Girl - I understand who the real masters are (though one of them is really a dog in a cat suit) as well.

As for Rolemaster, the biggest aspect I try to describe to others is the 3-D feel of my character. I do not feel like a cardboard-cut-out like in other games, I feel a part of the "world." Plus, I like games with more "realism" built into them.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 04:33:43 AM »
Go in the game in 95 with RM2, bought RMSS 6 months later. Never stopped.

And now, I understand why my cats always sit on my books when I am playing.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 07:57:45 AM »
The current ICE has always known that the cats were in charge...

Yep .. the ferret abdicated :)

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 10:05:37 AM »
I was a huge MERP fan for many years, then I heard ICE was going under and i felt i missed my opportunity to get into an awsome game.  When ICE was reinvented i bought  everything i could and have loved it ever since.

I have hard and softcover complete ( as complete as they can be)
RMSS
RMFRP
and just bought the Combat Companion.

Thank you ICE for 23 years of role playing goodness.
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 12:19:14 PM »
I'm a fan of RM & can't see myself going back to the D&D hoardes unless I have no other choice. Though I've never played RM until about a year n' half ago. I love the game. The only ICE game I ran back in the day was Cyberspace. It's still my favorite game w/ RM coming in a very close 2nd. I see SM 2nd ed becoming my third fav. soon .All hail ICE!
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »
I started with MERP and graduated to Rolemaster... I still own the Rolemaster original book with a party of adventurers standing on a shiny marble floor looking down at a hobbit holding a map...
The equipment list was in the front, along with the herbs, and then the "game" content started...

Gah, those were the days!!!! 88' here baby!!!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline Lord_Kjeran

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Dark Lord of Isungsgardr
    • Polar Bear Dreams and Stranger Things
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »
Chello!

Played MERP1 in the Army (1988-1990); Merp2 in College (93-96) we switched over to RM at 6th lvl. :)

Currently introducing my kids (who have played AD&D (1E) for about 3 years now) to RM.

Keep up the good work, guys!
Anthony N. Emmel

Q: GM, what is good?
A: To crush the PCs, see their character sheets pile before you, and hear the lamentation of their players.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 05:52:50 AM »
RM is lots and lots of fun.
Some complain that books are expensive, but over here a RM book cost about as much as 3 tickets to the cinema.. 3 tickets is about 2 hours of fun for 3 people or 6 hours of fun (if the movie is any good that is ;) )
A RM book can be hundreds of hours of fun.. so basically, they are very cheap :)

Ohh and take a look at how long we've played, guys and girls (20 something years for me).. If it weren't good, we wouldn't have played it still *grin*

And God, I'm starting to feel old when I realise that I started playing before some of the people I'm teaching RM have lived!! :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 06:36:44 AM »
Kudos to ICE for keeping the best game ever alive. :)
We just started a new campaign with RMC (mostly new players) and although there was some grumbling about timconsuming character generation that all changed when we started playing. They're all hooked now...

Offline Spartan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Forge: Western Martial Arts
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »
I GMed on many systems and our party enjoy changing from time to time but RM is definitively one of my favorite, I always come back to it sooner or later. Glad to see ICE is planning to release new products and that the game is still "alive"  ;)

Me too. I always come back to RM, no matter how long I stay away. Only H?rnMaster has that same kind of special place in my gaming memories.

I'll be gearing up for a brand new "Grand Rolemaster Campaign" in the near future... gritty high-ish fantasy with that old Robert E. Howard vibe thrown in for good measure.

I figured it's about time, since at regular intervals, someone in our gaming group says "we should start up Rolemaster again", and we all agree. This time, I'm doing something about it. :)

-Mark

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
As I stated earlier I love RM & CS .Like others I have played n' run other systems . I like Palladium Books' RIFTS & Palladium FRPG.
I also like RTG's Cyberpunk 2020 . I'm interested in trying Castles & Crusades & maybe playing 1st ed AD&D  again . But when it comes down to it I'll always love & come back to RM n' CS. Those games are in my heart . The only reason (up till a year & half ago) that I haven't played or run RM/CS is lack of people willing to try it. I'm thankful my friend Scott agreed to run his RM2 game again =) He runs a fun game & I enjoy every session I game with him & the group. I hope that we can play RM2 for years to come.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax