Author Topic: How to handle thirst?  (Read 961 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
How to handle thirst?
« on: February 18, 2020, 07:30:06 AM »
I have been digging through the old books and cannot seem to find anything on handling hunger or thirst.
I play RM2 but also own the RMC corebooks.

Any hint at solutions would be greatly appreciated
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline assur

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How to handle thirst?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 02:15:36 PM »
I can suggest HARP rules (core rulebook pp.86)
Starvation & Thirst In a moderate climate, a character needs the equivalent of approximately a gallon of water and a pound of food each day. For every day that a character goes without food or water, a Stamina Resistance Roll against RR (100) is required. Failure results in a -10 modifier to all actions. Two RRs are required if the character is deprived of both food and water. This means that one day without food or water gives a total modifier of -20. Once a character reaches -100, they will pass out and will be unable to wake, with death arriving 2d10 + Constitution bonus hours later. Magical healing cannot remove these penalties – only the process of eating and drinking can save the character. Once the starving character has obtained food and water, the modifiers will be reduced at a rate of -5 per hour until they are fully gone.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 02:32:11 PM »
That sounds reasonable. I'd start the attack level low (1 or 2) and then double it every day. Maybe also increase the penalty. If they hit -100 they die.

I don't know HARP, but -10 / day in RM means you could go well over a week without water. That shouldn't be possible. At least not for a human.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline assur

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 02:46:34 PM »
I don't know HARP, but -10 / day in RM means you could go well over a week without water. That shouldn't be possible. At least not for a human.
I think u re right. A human can survive no more than 3-4 days without water. It's best to raise penality for every day without water and raise RR a little.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 02:53:16 PM »
Maybe even forego the RR entirely and base it solely on constitution. I find it hard to believe that someone can survive longer in the desert because they've fought a bunch of orcs.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 03:19:35 PM »
RoCoV or VI had that info, if memory serves.
I’ll check and reply back once confirmed.

Edit = Yup RoCoV.
It even had a critical chart(A-E) to roll on for how (randomly) severe those hunger pangs are to a PC!
Page 104 has the rules for it.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 03:28:16 PM »
It even had a critical chart(A-E) to roll on for how (randomly) severe those hunger pangs are to a PC!

Of course RM has that! It reminds me of the drowning crit chart. Because "you're drowning, what do you do?" isn't enough for the system. :)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 05:48:13 PM »
Thank you very much for your suggestions and sources.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame