Author Topic: PC Quick reference  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
PC Quick reference
« on: January 24, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »
What sorts of information do you have on a quick reference sheet for the PCs? For example, perception rating so you can roll without them knowing something is around, OB, AT (DB), etc.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: PC Quick reference
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 04:17:34 PM »
Perception, AT, DB, RR bonuses, and also their languages with the number of ranks of each.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 04:20:22 PM »
I would always have that(above) plus RR-mods for each PC.

I loved mentioning “tickles and pinpricks of energy on the napes of their necks” when they made a successful Resistance Roll.
House ruled that they’d know the actual effect/Spell Name if they beat the RR by a certain threshold with varying info for shades of hitting it.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 08:06:58 AM »
I don't make quick sheets for my PCs.  I let them roll nearly anything that pertains to their PC.  It's less bookkeeping for me and lets the player be more involved in their PC.  They feel more invested and like they have more interaction with their destiny.  Just because a player rolls high for General Perception or Sense Ambush, doesn't mean they discovered the attacker.  They see they rolled well, feel confident, but they are attacked anyway.  That plants the seed in their mind "I rolled so high, but this guy still slipped in to attack me!  He must be REALLY good."  They play a little differently, a little more cautiously.  Sometimes, if they fumble their General Perception, I let them find the item everyone else missed.  It's like giving them two chances to succeed at their goal.  With the fumbled roll, through some strange fate, they happened to be hyper-focused on  the target item.  Of course, they suffer other penalties because of the fumble, but the 'accidentally' found what the rest of the party was working so hard to find.

Metagaming really isn't an issue with my players so that helps tremendously.  That last thing I want as a RM GM is more charts and papers to look at!   :o
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 10:07:01 AM »
What sorts of information do you have on a quick reference sheet for the PCs? For example, perception rating so you can roll without them knowing something is around, OB, AT (DB), etc.
There are a couple floating around; have you checked the downloads section of the website?

I made one for my characters last year, but it was awful and needed tons of work.  I got completely dispirited after I stumbled across a community made "Player Aid" for WarHammer Fantasy 4th.  18 pages, but really 12 or so of charts, tables and attack flow charts.  Rather beautiful, but perhaps bit small and cramped for my eyes! ;) Definitely game me some thoughts though.
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 02:44:55 PM »

My PCs keep up with their own sheets.  They do give me copies, but I rarely have to edit anything.  As GM, I have enough to keep up with even without interfering with my PCs.  NPCs are a different story.  Depending upon the importance of the NPC, it varies what I keep up with.  Some are just blurb such as, "Warkin has absolutely no desire for Power.  All he wants is to be a baker like his mom.  However, being an Agasarun, Warkin is also the most powerful of all the children."  Then add what an Agasarun is:

AGASARUN
Agasarun are especially talented Power Users that are very powerful.  They tend to be reclusive because usage of their Power tends to draw large amounts of unwanted attention.  Additionally, many Agasaru never realize they are Agasaru.  In best equivalent English translation, Agasaru means “mighty wielder.”

WHAT THEY ARE
Being an Agasaru is not restricted to any species, but some species have a greater tendency of being an Agasaru than others.  The truly deadly Agasaru were the ancient Dugaru Dysonus.

CONJUNCTION WITH THE POWER
Agasarun have a natural affinity with the Power, enabling them to use Power almost as easily as you or I breathe.  They also have a greater capacity of using Power.  Finally, they can also tap into any Power source and use it without needing to use the Channeling/Sapping skill.

THEIR ABILITIES
  • Greater Aura: Agasarun receive an additional +2 Base Power Points for each developed rank in Power Development skill.  This bonus stacks with any other bonus due to other Talents, Deitic Gifts, etc.
  • Eloquence: Agasarun receive a special modifier of +50 to all Power using maneuvers.  Even if they do not know they are Agasarun, they still receive this bonus.  Through time, they may realize that Power is easier to wield, but still may not know exactly why (i.e.?still may not know are Agasaru).
  • Resistance: Due to their natural affinity with the Power, Agasarun are also highly resistant to Power used against them, receiving a special modifier of +30 to all RRs involving Power.  Additionally, due to their Leeching ability, if the Agasaru resists the power, then it is absolute, AND the Agasaru absorbs a like number of PPs as were put into the Power (i.e.?if 12PP were put into the Power, then 12PP would be absorbed).
  • Undetectable: Agasarun are also extremely resistant to all “detection” type uses of Power, including Psions and Viewings, receiving a special modifier of +50 to RRs.  If the “detection” type of Power is actually passive, such as a Ward, they still have a special modifier of +30.
  • Living Grace: Perhaps their greatest ability, an Agasaru can drain their Power Points to zero (0) without dying.  At 0PP, the Agasaru then begins using Concussion Hits as if Power Points.  However, if they drain their Concussion Hits to zero (0), then they will die.  And this death is also irrevocable.
  • Power Employment: Agasarun develop the skill Power Employment as if it were Everyman.
  • Power Leech: Agasarun have the special ability to Leech Power from any source without actually knowing the Channeling/Sapping skill.  However, knowing the skill just gives them a bonus to the RRs.  This ability is willful, being able to be turned off and on.  This ability may be used once per round, and is a 0% action.  In other words, if this ability is turned on, it is automatic.  However, Power Absorption through this ability is still only applicable once per round.
    • For Items, the Agasaru must be within 1.5 meters and the Item gets a RR.  Remember, the Item’s level is equal to the creator’s level, NOT the Item’s level.  If the RR fails, the item is Leeched of d10×2 Power Points of Power.  If completely drained, the Item becomes a normal item, keeping any modifiers due to material and quality.  However, it can be reforged into an Item of Power, perhaps with different Powers.  The gravened Runes will also disappear.
    • For Beings, the being must be within 3 meters, and the Being gets a RR.  If the RR fails, the being is Leeched of d10×4 Power Points (NOT Base Power Points).  This loss regenerates as per normal.  This form of Leeching will ALWAYS leave at least 2BPP, REGARDLESS.  Even if the Being is willing.  However, if the Being is willing, there is no RR.
    • For Power Nodes, the Agasaru must be within the ground radius of the Node’s Power Radiation.  This form of Leeching is automatic for d6×10, and the Agasaru is only limited by the amount of Power within the Node.
Additionally, an Agasaru can retain all Leeched Power indefinitely, until used.  These Leeched Power Points are NOT affected by Power Bonus Items (multipliers and adders).

Basically, if the Agasaru does not “turn off” the Leeching ability, he shall just continue Leeching Power, building up a huge Power reserve, probably later detonating when too much Power is absorbed.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline KPadish

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »
I jot down their various perceptions as well as appraisal skills and maybe herb lore.  Things that the party may very well be blissfully unaware of (secret openings, walking by a rare expensive herb, etc.)   I might even ask them to make the roll (although that can lead to paranoia) and apply the modifiers myself.  It depends on the situation and environment.

Offline farseer22

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 04:34:10 AM »
You could ask everyone to give you 5-10 rolls at the start of a session, jot them down and cross them off as you use them. That would avoid the paranoia and still allow the players to make their own rolls.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 08:58:02 AM »
You could ask everyone to give you 5-10 rolls at the start of a session, jot them down and cross them off as you use them. That would avoid the paranoia and still allow the players to make their own rolls.

That's a good idea. ERA has a "saved roll" feature, but I don't know if it's per character or if it saves all of the rolls in a single list. I'll find out. :)

If it's a single list, my screen is dry and wet erase, so I can just jot them there. It'll make it harder to read whatever is under it so I'd rather have it in the tool.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 11:34:34 AM »

That's a good idea. ERA has a "saved roll" feature, but I don't know if it's per character or if it saves all of the rolls in a single list. I'll find out. :)

If it's a single list, my screen is dry and wet erase, so I can just jot them there. It'll make it harder to read whatever is under it so I'd rather have it in the tool.

That is EXACTLY the reason ERA has that feature.
At the beginning of each adventure, I'll ask the players for 5-6 rolls (rerolling if there are high/low open ended, since ERA supports it), then store them in the saved rolls box.

Then I used the retrieve saved roll feature whenever I need them to roll an RR, or a secret perception, or whatever I don't want to let them know about. Also if they ask for the skill but knowing the result would defeat the purpose. "Is there a trap there? I roll Detect Traps... Hmmm 34 total, maybe someone else should roll instead, I failed my roll".

It is, as Ginger assumes, per character. It is not saved from one session to the next.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 11:40:32 AM »
It is, as Ginger assumes, per character. It is not saved from one session to the next.

Awesome sauce!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 06:04:16 PM »

That said, if using that kind of advanced rolling mechanism, during horror/spooky situations:
*always roll dice, look at them, smirk or feign mock shivers and then shrug every 2nd or 3rd room investigated - even for no reason at all*

Even the most stoic will start to become paranoid and attach those bull$hit rolls to any and all bad things that befall their PCs in the game to come.
They’ll ask you about them during and after the game or make comments about what they think they’re for...admit and confirm every one of them!
}8€