Author Topic: Demons and Demonic Possession in RM  (Read 1010 times)

Offline KPadish

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Demons and Demonic Possession in RM
« on: January 14, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »
I play RM Classic but this question can apply to any of the Editions.
I've read through the Creatures and Monsters section on Demons but it does not talk about demonic possession at all.  Does RM not include the possibility of demonic possession?   Way back in RMC I or II there's a Paladin list called Exorcism but that only has spells for banishing demons and doesn't go into specifics.

How do you handle demonic possession, if at all?
Are the demons that perform possession the same ones that in the six pales? Beyond the Pale? The Void?  Other?   Or maybe it's not demonic possession at all but evil spirits from the spirit plane?  Are there any articles written about this?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Demons and Demonic Possession in RM
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 11:58:03 AM »
Sorcerers and I think some other evil casters have spells that possess their targets (see the Sorcerer's Soul Destruction list for example). I think that is the main way characters get possessed.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 04:55:33 PM »
We've had it come up when the mentalist creates a mental conduit to a powerful undead or demon. You open your head and create a link, that link goes both ways. I don't know whether the GM actually has a specific rule or just deals with it off the cuff, probably the latter. :)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 05:50:03 PM »
RMSS Channeling Companion has rules for Spirits with possession as an attack. It would be easy enough to give demons a possession attack the someway spirits can have it.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:01:10 PM »
Sorcerers and I think some other evil casters have spells that possess their targets (see the Sorcerer's Soul Destruction list for example). I think that is the main way characters get possessed.

I found Demons of the Void in RMC CL have this list and they seem to be the ones focused on possession.
RAW indicate the demon must be first summoned. Although Demon Imbedding from RMC Alch enables demons to possess items.
An ensuing will contest failure by the character could mean possession.
Overall I'd handle possession as a will contest, the demon treating the character as an item with intelligence.
e crits all round

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 04:13:31 AM »
Look for the "Possession and exorcism, clerical rule options for Rolemaster", once written by Ross Henton. It contains a summary about possessions and exorcism in history in the real world, a new profession (the Exorcist), its new spell lists and well as a new kind of demons, the possessing kind.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.