Author Topic: Does ICE plan other official worlds for RMU besides Kulthea?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Does ICE plan other official worlds for RMU besides Kulthea?
« on: December 02, 2019, 11:14:36 PM »
I mean, Kulthea is kul, obviously, but it just serves one specific taste, namely that of High Fantasy at its finest.

What about low fantasy, with rare magic? What about urban fantasy, set in the modern world? What about historical fantasy, set in an alternate past with magic?

There are so many subgenres that could be served... any plans?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Does ICE plan other official worlds for RMU besides Kulthea?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 08:54:17 AM »
I'm not sure, but there is a lot of material in the ICE catalog that could be given RMU stats relatively easily. ICE published quite a few non-Kulthea sourcebooks -- Vikings, Mythic Greece, Rapier's Point, etc.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:37:44 AM »
A lot of what ICE prints is written by freelancers who have pitched an idea to them. They are much more likely to add something like that if someone came forward with a proposal, vs putting out a call for proposals and potentially not finding something they wanted to back.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
I'm not so sure you'd even want more than one 'official' setting. As a publisher I'd be far more inclined to stick with one official setting and have everything else put out as drop-in material that could be used in any setting.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 02:59:15 PM »
I'm not so sure you'd even want more than one 'official' setting.
Couldn't agree more. I certainly understand the desire for multiple campaign settings, but I fall in the camp that a RPG system has to have at least one "best of breed" place to show off it's differences and advantages.  Lacking that, it falls apart.  Heck "universal" systems like GURPS, Runequest and Savage Worlds have "semi-official" campaign settings (Yrth, Lankhmar, Savage Settings).

Now I'll grant that there are any number of d20 Campaign Settings (Faerun, Dragonlance, even non-WTC settings like Midgard and Thieves World), but that's with an entire universe of d20 systems, and the plethora of d20 players.
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 08:03:02 PM »
Birthright was an old Super Low Magic T$R Setting that might serve your purpose, but nothing from ICE that is known about as yet.

Maybe a surprise Tolkien Ent. contract with the launch of RMU, but they’re doing all they can to keep it under wraps?
 :o

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_campaign_settings For more ideas of previously created settings.