Author Topic: Reading my new (to me) RM2 boxed set  (Read 3312 times)

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Reading my new (to me) RM2 boxed set
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »
Howdy All,

So, some lucky timing on seeing a Noble Knight sale and having some pocket changes ... I've been reading my newly arrived RoleMaster 2 boxed set. All three volumes (AL and SL are red stripe, Ch&Cl the prior printing ... though I found a cheap $5 red strip of it the day after on a used shelf, so into the box it went).

I haven't read RM2 in - oh, let's call it 20 years - so it's fun to (re)read. I had a borrowed copy of the same boxed set (prior to red stripe) that I borrowed from a friend for a little bit.

I find it a lot easier to grok these days. Interestingly enough, the case format of the RM rules (1.0, 1.1, etc.) is something I work with constantly via contracts ... so it's become something of a native format.

One of my good friends is, as it turns out, a long time RM2 fan from way back. So, a game ... or more ... may be in order.

8)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Reading my new (to me) RM2 boxed set
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 11:32:37 AM »
Welcome back!

Now roll for initiative :)
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »
Yes Welcome back and to the ICE Forums if no one has done so semi officially.

If you have question ask away, as the "forums tend to be very friendly and helpful" (this is almost a direct quote from many people who come from other game forums)
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:58:29 PM »
Welcome back.

Hope you have been enjoying the reading exercise.

In my old world of Udava, we used the RMC/2 system so long that none of us even knew the updated RMSS, and later RMFRP, systems were published.  I spent quite a few years getting over the death of my family that when I came back and began repurchasing RoleMaster, I found it was now RMFRP, then a few years later, the newer RMU system began beta public playtesting.  Although I am basing my new world on the RMU system, I still have its data for the RMC/2 system.

I still love the RMC/2 system and have been debating on writing up my new world for that system also.  Just do not have the time anymore.  In fact, I am stealing some time to post this while cooling off after working in the yard.

I find it a lot easier to grok these days. Interestingly enough, the case format of the RM rules (1.0, 1.1, etc.) is something I work with constantly via contracts ... so it's become something of a native format.

I have used this outline system for many other documents I have written for companies.  We use it by default at the NCDOT in the GIS department.

Have fun with the reminisce.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 06:18:07 AM »
Thanks all! Yes, totally grooving on my RM2 set and enjoying the reading. Takes me back to my early days (and old Dragon magazine ads).

Also, tinkering already with retrofitting in some of the RMU / MERPish ideas re: Culture for adolescent skill dev, and adding a few more skills to the basic list.

Offline Khorah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:46:54 AM »
Welcome back!!!

Some of the new stuff is pretty useful in filling in the gaps that RM2 had. I like the Races and Cultures books to add flavor to the smaller races. Castles and Ruins is also useful when looking at those items. So many of the new, old books (or is that old, new books.. hmmmm.. ) are handy to have around for additional reference.

EDIT:
Oh.. and I almost forgot.. Merkir, with a hand from lots of folks here on the forums, put together Combat Minion which is a software package to speed up combat. It was built around the RM2 weapon and crit tables (although you can get the RMSS stuff if ya want..). Having used it this past weekend, it was mighty helpful to speed up combat, so it might be worthwhile to take a look once you get a group together :)

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »
BrianI I can TOTALLY relate. I had stepped into darkness of d20 for a long many years.
Coming back to d100 and the awesome that is RM2/C (and from what I've read so far of RMU!) waws like getting a glass of milk and cookies and being welcomed back into the family.
I honestly dont think there is a group of gamers that are more passionate about a system that ICE fans. :)
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »
BrianI I can TOTALLY relate. I had stepped into darkness of d20 for a long many years.
Coming back to d100 and the awesome that is RM2/C (and from what I've read so far of RMU!) waws like getting a glass of milk and cookies and being welcomed back into the family.
I honestly dont think there is a group of gamers that are more passionate about a system that ICE fans. :)

Allen, I couldn't agree with you more.  I am the newbie in the current group I game with and they are AD&D/Pathfinder fans.  We've been switching between the Playtest of D&D Next and Pathfinder and I have been trying to spark an interest in RMC.  My kids and I play it at home and they love it.  I miss the system.  I've tried a lot of different systems over the years, and either I am jaded by my 1st ever gaming experience being RM2, ICE Fans are extremely passionate, or RM2 - D100 system is just more freedom.

Having given D&D Next/Pathfinder a good go of it for over a year, I am still a RM2 fan.  Nothing has topped it.

Brian1, I till take out the RMC# from time to time to read through and see what little optional laws I've missed out on and to read the stories that get interspersed within the tomes. Elemental Companion is still my favorite and I've found Heroes and Rogues to be an absolute gift from the gods when I need an NPC because one of my PCs has sprung up a situation I wasn't ready for.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:52:39 AM »
what you just said there, the freedom. One of the things I LOVE the most about the system is that ANY 'class' or profession can learn anything. it makes complete sense how it's worked out too. I have converted a handful by simply pointing out that a certain Gray wizard from a series of books we dont mention here (wink wink nudge nudge) carried on of the most powerful long swords in that world.... so why cant theirs? that usually gets em to perk up and show some interest.
D&D.... well they lost me at 3.5.... I had just been talked into playing, bought the 3.0 books and I swear not 3 weeks later 3.5 came out. I was mad as hell.  and I've only heard bad things about 4, I could care less about anything they put out going forward. Wont get another penny from me. I happily give my gaming $ to ICE :)

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:08:46 AM »
I've always been a fan of d100 systems (maybe because I started with those), and find d20 to be very limiting. d100 (in just about any flavor) is much easier to adjust and work with, and I've found RM2 in particular to be very easy to customize (I've worked it into espionage systems, military-type games...just about anything). Not as big a fan of RMSS, though.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 10:10:11 AM »
Unfortunately that is not quite true in RM2, you have base spell lists restricted to one profession and some professions require 90's in specific stats.

But if you are talking about a list of skills that have different DP costs and most of them can be bought by anyone then yest that is RM.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »
Unfortunately that is not quite true in RM2, you have base spell lists restricted to one profession and some professions require 90's in specific stats.

But if you are talking about a list of skills that have different DP costs and most of them can be bought by anyone then yest that is RM.
MDC

But RM2 also allowed you to dump two low stat scores into those prime reqs and raise them to 90.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 01:17:21 PM »
Inflating stats does not allow you to buy all skills or spell lists but by the RM2 rules set you need 90 or above in a stat to play a spell caster. Unless IIRC an option rule is used for smooth stat bonus but that changes the PP progression rule also. 
The 90's for spell casters also changes the fact that normal people cannot channel spells for deities because they have no PP. 

But again the game was created in the 80's and was influenced by the other RPG's out in the market then so things I expect of RPG's in today's world I do not expect of RM2 as it is a product of its time.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »
when it comes to magic I believe that it should be very rare. In my fantasy worlds, the ONLY items in all the world are the ones from Treasures of A World We Dont Talk About Here. Let's just say that book has become precious to me. k?
anyways, that's all of the items in the world. once one is found, collected, stolen, lost, whatever, that's it.
I think that balances things out with the highers stats that casters need.

or

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 03:57:30 PM »
Without a stat requirement, anyone can cast magic, unless the system requires the talent to cast be purchased as in GURPS.

I require them, except for prosaic magic.  It is a natural enough way to limit the availability of magic.  Stat base could be by open/close/base instead, with a 70 for open list, 80 for closed list and 90 for base.

RM's greatest strength is its flexibility.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 08:48:21 PM »
Correct you have to buy a spell list and in RMSS Power point Development.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 08:08:56 AM »
... and it looks like I've gone from reading my Rolemaster 2 boxed set, to running it for a first session / possible campaign.

Today, that is. :)

Two players - one an old hand at RM2, and the other his wife, with the following comment: "she's been listening to me blather on about RM for years. She'd turn cartwheels to actually play RM, instead of hearing me pontificate about it."

8)

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 09:57:02 AM »
... and it looks like I've gone from reading my Rolemaster 2 boxed set, to running it for a first session / possible campaign.

Today, that is. :)

Two players - one an old hand at RM2, and the other his wife, with the following comment: "she's been listening to me blather on about RM for years. She'd turn cartwheels to actually play RM, instead of hearing me pontificate about it."

8)
NICE! Long Distance High 5!

or

Offline BrianI

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 07:31:48 PM »
Thanks - it went relatively well, and was definitely fun. It's a role-play heavy group, so most of the session was just that, with a few rolls thrown in for good measure. The two PCs were a Monk and a Force Mage, both 7th level.

Until the got two days out of Sarnak and had a short ranged encounter with a Cave Troll at ~ 25 ft.

The Monk eventually took out the Cave Troll, but he was worried to be sure.

I also ran a quick combat for the Force Mage, so she could try out her spells and such. I threw her in a 1:1 with a Greater Lugroki. It closed fast, but her spell hit before he did ... and her result was about 1/3rd of its hits, plus breaking both collar bones ...

I should also add that we were using the CAETS (Combat Activity Environment Tracking System).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 09:06:53 PM »
Was the Force Mage in the Red Books?
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.