Author Topic: Whats your favorite house rule?  (Read 13626 times)

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Whats your favorite house rule?
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
I know I am a little late on Cory's house rules, but like Cory I allow my players to overcast their spells, but I allow the spell level to exceed caster,s level.  The caster does have to pay more PP to overcast and I use a formula for that.

Total PP cost = spell level + [(spell level - caster level) + 1] * spell level

For example a 5th lvl caster wishes to cast a 6th spell it would cost the caster 6 PP for the spell plus an additional 12 PP because s/he is overcasting his/her level, for a total of 18 PP. 

It seems like a lot but co mpared to the other dangers of overcasting, it is but a pittance to pay.  Considering you could burn yourself out and live with the knowledge of it was your own greed for power that led to your problem.

Even so, after reading Cory's method of allowing the increase in spell level of a spell you already know does raise some interesting ideas. 

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2014, 09:43:12 PM »
I like the idea of being able to add PP to increase the level of spells for lock and trap type spells.  Heck even some dispel, consecration, ward, protection type spells can get a big boost from that idea.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terisonen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »
One directed spells skill. I feel that mages are already punished enough with their development costs without making them develop four "weapons".

There are 1/2 similarity here... EG 2 Skill in a directed spell 'Light' give 1 in all other.

Offline Terisonen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2014, 08:44:11 AM »
I'd say not having to declare instant spells.  Not sure if that counts, cause RM never says you can't do that... but it never says you can and the official rule is you declare everything ahead (which always seemed to make instants kinda stupid in our view).
Also, I allow you to use a shield on any foes in your forward arc.
I also give fixed DP to all characters and my next campaign the players won't bother even tracking exp, I'll just tell them when to level.

Doing the same. To long to compute XP and it is somewhat unjust with lucky kill... When you're playing for a while you know when giving levels :D

Offline Terisonen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2014, 09:26:29 AM »
A house rule who is working really fine, for sorting who strike first in a round:

Roll a D100, Open Ended + Qu - Malus you may have for the round.

Add these modifier:

Melee: +0
-You're Casting a Spell: +100
-You're firing a Missile: +50
-You're Hasted: +100
-You're Adrenal Speed (same as Haste): +100

Instant Spell, defensive still goes however always first when needed (like Blade Turn, Deflections) but you forfeit your casting for the round.

If you have 2 actions a round, the second goes at First Init -100.

EG:

Killroy is a Monk who is in Adrenal Speed this round. He roll a pretty good 84 , plus Qu 20, +100 for Adrenal speed and has a bright 204 for initiative.

Prue Rushinmore want to shot at a foe with his lovely Composite Bow made with Dir Wood and Narwhal Horn. She Roll a disapointing 14 to his roll, plus 50 for shooting missile, plus 10 from is Qu, but a recent wound pull him from a 10 penalty, to a 64 intitiative.

Ark BullyAll Swing his Great Axe to a Milician, rolling a not-so-bad 76, adiing nothing because his AT18 sucking up his Qu to 0, to a grand total of 76.

Arch Villain Hater WillHate will throw his Thunder Spear to KillRoy, having a old gruge with him. He roll a 72, + 50 (Missile) + 10 for his Qu to 132 Init.

The horde of no-name Allies to Hater roll (collectively) a medium 59 to init, +0.

First to Act at 204 is Killroy. He smashes a No-name with a MA Striking Rank 4 Rupturing his internal ear for a whopping -65 penalty. His next move will be at 104.

Second to act is Hater wo launch Thunder at KillRoy at 132. As a clever Monk, Killroy intantaneously cast a deflections, and Hater miss with a -145 Penalty from Adrenal Defense, Natural Quickness and -100 due to deflections Spell.

Ark now act at 76, connect with a No-name, shatter his shield and break the arm of the poor opponents.

Prue release his arrow at 64, perfectly cleaning the two ear and brain of a poor no-name in his line of sight.

Then, the mass of no-name act with their melee weapon at 59.

Note that if Killroy had not cast a deflections, he may have tried to pound another no-name at 104, acting effectively 2 times before everywhere but Hater.

It work very well in round, and not add much bookkeeping.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »
As a player, my favorite house rule is:

"There are no house rules." 8)

As a GM, well, my entire world setting almost ends up being nothing but house rules.  Not really, but there are a lot since I usually redo the magic system.  With my new world of Onaviu, character generation is quite different being based on the No Profession with methods to specialize towards the standard archetypes.  Basically, lots of house rules.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2014, 10:00:22 AM »

As a GM, well, my entire world setting almost ends up being nothing but house rules.  Not really, but there are a lot since I usually redo the magic system.  With my new world of Onaviu, character generation is quite different being based on the No Profession with methods to specialize towards the standard archetypes.  Basically, lots of house rules.

rmfr

That was my original point as well. We gutted RM2 so heavily for my setting that it's essentially a couple of binders of house rules.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2014, 09:12:45 AM »

rmfr

That was my original point as well. We gutted RM2 so heavily for my setting that it's essentially a couple of binders of house rules.

And to be wholly honest, I have yet to meet an experienced GM who does not have any House Rules.  Usually, the only GMs who do not have House Rules is one learning to GM for the first time, and they use the RAWs.  Once experienced, they begin thinking of their own world and how to make it THEIR's, thus creating House Rules.

As for a favorite House Rule, I cannot say.  There are so many I love.  If I were to list any House Rule as a favorite, I would have to simply say, "My World."

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »

As for a favorite House Rule, I cannot say.  There are so many I love.  If I were to list any House Rule as a favorite, I would have to simply say, "My World."

rmfr

Same here.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2014, 07:16:11 AM »
Arakish, I think you're being a little biased.  :-)

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2014, 08:32:32 AM »
I honestly didn't realize it until now but there's another "House Rule" that we've literally been using for decades: Experience points.

We felt XP-hounding makes for awkward roleplaying. Thus we totally threw out the XP awarding rules from the rulebooks as they don't fit our group's playing style. Essentially, we tried to shift from awarding XP for dice-rolling to awarding XP for roleplaying, solving problems (in whatever way), and advancing group goals.

This affects gameplay way more that it seems at first.
Most importantly, we simply don't award XP for fighting, removing any impetus for characters to put their life and welfare in danger unless it's somehow reasonable within the context and will further the group's agenda. No more picking fights simply for the XP. Characters behave much more reasonable, aren't afraid of avoiding unneccessary fights, and generally have become quite creative in solving problems non-violently. There are still lots of fights happening, but now they make more sense.

The "downside", if you want to call it one, is that we award much less XP over all. Our characters level up perhaps twice a year instead of once every week, and after some 14 years of continued campaigning our highest-level character is currently level 11. (Though every player has anywhere between 3 and 6 active characters and may switch between, or sometimes even within, adventures.)

An unintended but welcome side effect is that new Level 1 characters can stand and play besides grizzled veterans and, if played well, get just as many XP as high-level characters.
In our earliest groups we had a real problem with new characters in that they simply couldn't perform on the same level as higher-level characters and consequentially reaped less XP, which in turn meant they kept falling behind.

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »
Now that this thread is wound down, thought it would be interesting to look at a summary. This isn't very scientific (at all), and I'm sure I missed some specifics in my haste, but when you group house rules that people posted about there are some interesting trends:

Exhaustion    (15 mentions total)   
   13   No exhaustion points
   2   Simplified exhaustion  rules

Granting Experience (17 mentions)      
   10   No XPs, level when DM says
   3   XPs skewed towards roleplaying
   1   Consume Gems for XP
   1   Give DPs instead of XPs
   1   Give skill ranks (for in-game actions)
   1   Advancement/DPs given every 1/3 level

Development Points      
   9   Fixed number of DPs per level

Directed Spells (5)      
   2   One Directed Spell Skill
   1   One Directed Spell Skill per list
   2   Similar skill bonus for Directed Spell

Shields and Parry (18)      
   3   Full Parry all Frontal
   6   Full shield all Frontal
   1   Custom split parry rule
   1   Shield skill raised DB
   1   Custom shield spit rule
   1   Shields have higher DB but lower OB
   1   Bonus against ranged
   1   Shield bash rule
   1   as part of 2 weapon combo rule
   2   Custom shield bonuses

Initiative (12)   
   3   Tweaked for spellcasting or mental actions
   2   Snap, normal, deliberate
   1   Haste adds to initiative
   1   Different dice roll
   3   Fully replaced/custom system

Instant Spells (5)   
   3   Do not have to declare
   2   Do not count against round limit

Rolling (5)      
   1   reroll 1s for BD
   3   66 + 6 rule
   1   One number below 20 nat 100 each session

Luck and Fate (6)   
   2   Luck stat
   4   Fate Points

Spell Casting (10)      
   2   Custom spell overcasting (+1 like)
   1   Custom spell mastery rules
   1   Stat reduces ESF
   1   Total custom
   1   magical poisoning
   1   Spell level = list level known to
   1   Linear power points
   1   Primal Essence Radiation
   1   Custom deflect/bladeturn

Combat (9)   
   2   Custom two weapon combo
   1   Custom Multiple Attacks
   1   Reverse strike rules from RMU
   1   Multiple attack rules from RMU
   1   Combat schools/styles rules
   1   AT 2 is the base human AT
   1   Crit mod for stunned foes
   1   Specialized Weapon Styles

Stats      
   1   90 no required for Prime
   1   Extended stat gains (RMC4)

Archery       
   1   Fumble ammo rule
   2   Arched shots

Class Favoritism      
   2   Special rules for Rangers :)

Misc      
   3   Custom action phases
   2   Weapons developed as a group
   1   Hobby ranks anywhere
   1   Everyman and Occupational level bonus
   1   Increased adolescent skill ranks
   2   Easy first aid to stop bleeding
   1   Default resistance level
   1   Resistance level progression
   1   Custom adrenal defense/maneuvers
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2014, 03:45:39 PM »
Based on this the most common house rules are:
  • Exhaustion (as in don't use it at all)
  • XP (as in don't use it at all, instead DM chooses when players level)
  • Fixed number of DPs per level
Some popular areas for tweaking are shield/parry, initiative, instantaneous spells and directed spells.

As a side, if you define "survivability" rules as rules that increase hitpoints, db, resistances or help with first aid, you are looking at 20% of the rules mentioned.
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2014, 04:19:59 PM »
I guess you could say I 'house rule' base lists on a good number of professions.  That's one of the ones I didn't even think about.

Paladins, Rangers and Clerics specifically are all able to build their own base list selection.  Paladins and Clerics it just makes sense to gear them towards their religion.  Rangers it's partially just because we took pity on them, but it also makes sense to customize them to their environment.

I also have some custom spell lists that go along with certain specialized training packages, although they are much more common to pure casters than the semis and pures arms will rarely pick one up.  The best example of this are "Elementalists" that pick a base profession, then pick an element training package that gives them one Offensive and one Defensive (generically speaking) spell list based on that element (You'll find what I use in RMQ1 and RMQ2).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
Wow, people detailed more their house rules than I thought they would and than I did.
It made me want to write a bit (foremost because I'm bored at work, but heh ;)) about what I think is my main house rule: the rewriting of how realms work. So, in my games, there's no relationship between magical realms, spell lists and professions. There are open, closed and base spell lists, but a given list isn't tied to a specific realm (for instance, Rune Mastery isn't an Essence Open List: it's just an Open List). The same, no profession is tied to a specific realm (so a Cleric could be using Essence Magic, Channeling [well, Divine] magic, or Mentalism [well, Personal Magic]).

Realms exist, but determine how a spellcaster fuels his magical power, thus not only how fast (or slowly) he regains used PPs, but also the quantity of magical power he has available at a given time (i.e., the power of his magic independently of his intrinsec character level). An Essence spellcaster is powered by life, a Divine spellcaster by his degree of synchronization with his divinity (his "faith", if you want), and a Personal spellcaster by his determination toward a certain goal (e.g., curiosity, or saving people). As such, for instance, surrounded by a lot of life, a level 10 Essence spellcaster could cast spells as a level 20 and regains all of his PPs in three hours or so whereas in a desert, he would cast spells cas a level 1 and regains all of his PPs in half a day (his maximum PPs are also calculated according to that, so in a great forest, he would have as much maximum PPs as if he were indeed level 20, and, in a desert, as if he were level 1). Similarly, a Personal spellcaster based on "saving people" would be all the more powerful as people need him. For a Divine spellcaster, his power level would depend on a nutshell on his, well, fanatism.

Since there's no relationship between a realm, a spell list and a profession, it means a character of a given profession can develop any spell list as, in RAW's terms, his "own realm".
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2014, 07:34:37 PM »
The only real reason I keep the realms separate rules-wise is for balance reasons.  I don't want an Invisible, Flying, Bolt Throwing, Mind Controlling, Self-Healing megalomaniac terrorizing my game.  Yes, we could get into GM control and oversight... but I just don't want to have to do that for everything.

My magical energy theory is basically...
1) Essence is the actual energy of the elements themselves.  You learn to harness the natural energy of the elements.

2) Mentalism is the energy of living things.  You learn to harness your own mental energy.

3) Channeling is the combined power of many living things mental energy focused on a single purpose (or, sometimes, entity).  This means that it's possible for a large number of living beings to channel their mental energy to a single individual who has figured out how to harness other peoples mental energy and, effectively, turn them into a Demi-God.  This is part of the basis for non-divine 'gods' in my setting.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »
Another house rule I like is that weapons are made as thrown or not thrown and get a -10 OB to the activity they are not designed for, ie a throwing dagger gets -10 OB to melee attacks and a hand ax designed for melee gets -10 when thrown. Now there are special designs that eliminate the penalty for the other use and there are some that get a large penalty do to their design.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »
My magical energy theory is basically...
1) Essence is the actual energy of the elements themselves.  You learn to harness the natural energy of the elements.

2) Mentalism is the energy of living things.  You learn to harness your own mental energy.

3) Channeling is the combined power of many living things mental energy focused on a single purpose (or, sometimes, entity).  This means that it's possible for a large number of living beings to channel their mental energy to a single individual who has figured out how to harness other peoples mental energy and, effectively, turn them into a Demi-God.  This is part of the basis for non-divine 'gods' in my setting.

I like this.

However, for my two worlds I have basically just summed up Power is Power, regardless.  It exists in all things  and those with the aptitude can learn to harness and wield it.  Basically, for my new world, there are no realms, there is only Power.  But there are two methods of wielding power: externally by tapping into everything around, and internally by using one's own power.

rmfr

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2014, 05:37:08 PM »
The only real reason I keep the realms separate rules-wise is for balance reasons.  (...)
But that contradicts:
My magical energy theory is basically... (etc.)
Which was exactly my point. The rules (as written) mistake what the different kinds of magic are and what different kinds of magic can do. You make a statement about what the different magical energies (the realms) are, but that doesn't then make sense why a certain spell is part of a realm and not of another. It's like defining different of electricity (solar-produced, hydro-produced, wind-produced and nuclear-produced) then making a difference between these kinds of electricity and saying each can only be used to produced a certain effect.

Basically, for my new world, there are no realms, there is only Power.  But there are two methods of wielding power: externally by tapping into everything around, and internally by using one's own power.
So, you do have two realms...
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2014, 03:19:25 AM »
The rules (as written) mistake what the different kinds of magic are and what different kinds of magic can do. You make a statement about what the different magical energies (the realms) are, but that doesn't then make sense why a certain spell is part of a realm and not of another. It's like defining different of electricity (solar-produced, hydro-produced, wind-produced and nuclear-produced) then making a difference between these kinds of electricity and saying each can only be used to produced a certain effect.
It's really a form of balance.  If you an Offensive, Defensive, Sneaky, and Healing user you basically have a 1000lb gorilla in the corner.  I can (and have) come up with various theories as to WHY they do or don't do certain things, but it's really just a convenient justification as to why one caster can't "do it all".
- Cory Magel