Author Topic: Anyone with experience running a "West Marches" type campaign?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
This http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/ - is an example of a "sandbox" style campaign where players muster up a group and campaign with the DM for adventures.
I'm looking at using aspects of this to solve similar problems (mainly working around busy schedules where games are interspersed and can only last a few short hours).  I've been running a form of "offline mode" over email and focus in on the tactical part of the adventure during actual sessions, and I've been using other tricks to keep the group focused in when we can actually get together.
Anyone else have experience running these sorts of campaigns and have any advice/gotchas? Or with corralling a group of very busy people and making the best of short, interspersed sessions?
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Anyone with experience running a "West Marches" type campaign?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »
I've never tried anything like that per se, but I do try to give my players a lot of freedom regarding what they want to do. Might be fun to take that to the limit.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »
  I ran a game that met every third week and in the middle used the email to do drama, puzzle solving and other such stuff. It worked very well, IMO and it kept the game alive and the players interested.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:37:22 AM »
I ran a game that met every third week and in the middle used the email to do drama, puzzle solving and other such stuff. It worked very well, IMO and it kept the game alive and the players interested.
Can you help me understand how you made that work (what were the topics you covered in email, how often you sent them, etc)?
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:09:01 AM »
Well I tried to send out stuff at least once a week but sometimes it was twice a week. Some players got very involved and some just did the min required.

I tried to have some e-mail episodes where players were talking to specific NPC's about important stuff that related to them or expanded upon their PC's background. At times 2 or more PC's got together and it was a group going to a specific location to find out info about this or that.

Topics,
 Well anything that was not combat related was fair game for email.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.