Author Topic: Warrior Monk vs Fighter  (Read 1593 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Warrior Monk vs Fighter
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:59:47 AM »
One of my players is a real munchkin, but a great player who shows up each week to sling the dice.  We use Martial Arts companion and all it's glory and he regularly complains about the cost to make a Warrior Monk (his favorite class).

I need some advice on the great points of the Styles and point costs versus the Fighter class.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Warrior Monk vs Fighter
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:28:18 PM »
Warrior Monks end up being more diverse in skills other than fighting than fighters and their ability to appear non-threatening without weapons vs a fighter with weapons means a great advantage to the unwary. If he truly likes this class he would find that out... With all the KI options and Adrenal options available cheaper than fighters and the ability to have a Higher DB should be enough to endorse this class option alone.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:29:26 AM »
Speaking very generically (obviously the GM can change things).

Good things: You can't take away a MA characters basic attack method and the get Adrenal Defense.
Main bad thing: Unless they develop a weapon kata good luck with those critters that need silver or magic weapons or spells to damage.  We generally accommodate for the critters like that somehow though.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »
There are always magic hand wraps or gloves that could work for those limitations. But I agree weapon kata's are important in a lot of ways.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:10:42 AM »
There are always magic hand wraps or gloves that could work for those limitations. But I agree weapon kata's are important in a lot of ways.
That's how we handle that situation, it's just something the GM pretty much has to specifically and intentionally give out.  Not a big deal, but an uncreative GM might not get that.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss