Author Topic: HARP revised with little formatting errors  (Read 9883 times)

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
HARP revised with little formatting errors
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
Hi!

I began reading through the new HARP rulebbok and I have noticed a few errors in the text (formatting for the most part). I thought it could be useful to submit them before the official printing.

PP. 3 & 4
Some chapter and section titles span two lines, but it is unclear wether the second line must begin with some spaces or not.

- Character Creation Overview
- Stats for Layman/Normal Characters
- Stat Bonuses and Development Points
- Additional Character Information
- Martial Arts Sweeps/Unbalanced Criticals
- Skill Ranks Requirements for Spellcasting
- Finding Herbs & Poisons in the Wild

- Generating Stats: the space before the secondary titles (Option one, ...) is much less than for the other secondary titles (Racial Descriptions and Cultures).

- Shallow Warrens: there is one space too much at the beginning of the line.

- Encumbrance: mispelled.

P. 18
The first paragraph of the second column looks a little bit different (font wise) from the rest of the page. It begins with: "The first and prefered option...".

P. 22
Many paragraphs in this page looks like using different font spacing (as for p. 18). The font size of the special abilities of dwarves (on bold) looks a little bit different too.

P. 23
In the paragraph for Dark Vision (Lesser), "quasi-magical" is mispelled.

P. 25
The beginning of the sentence for Gnomish Blood (Greater) is hidden behind the picture (a beautiful picture indeed!).

Ok, that's far as I read so far (sic?)!
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: HARP revised with little formatting errors
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:15:05 AM »
Yes, these are helpful. Keep going, please, we can see about adjusting the interior pdf before releasing to print. Updating the screen pdf so that everyone who has already purchased gets a fixed copy is easy through OBS.

I thought that Eric, Craig and I had caught all of these glitches - obviously too many runs through the emerging layout pdfs for the three of us.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »
P. 18
The first paragraph of the second column looks a little bit different (font wise) from the rest of the page. It begins with: "The first and prefered option...".
As a note, the above is Zut's mistake. In the book, it's correctly spelt "preferred". :P
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
P. 18
As a note, the above is Zut's mistake. In the book, it's correctly spelt "preferred". :P

Hahaha!  ;D Well done. I wrote it manually instead of cut and paste.
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »
Page 5: bottom right, just before the end. The H in HARP is not in bold, but the "ARP" is.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
I have a few suggestions, though I don't know whether to be able to adjust them.

On many pages there are just two many fonts, section titles in one font, examples in another, footer in yet another, and so on.  I found this distracting.

The spacing of tables and the line weights of some tables were occasionally inconsistent (some tables had heavy weighted lines others thin).  I can quote pages when I am home from work.

The footer is quite jumbled and the horizontal rule overlaps graphics and tables in awkward ways on some pages.  Perhaps if the footer alternated book and chapter on odd and even pages and had no horizontal rule this could be cleaned up quickly.
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 06:42:47 AM »
Allen, Zut and anyone else with fresh eyes, please either post these glitches here or email at director @ guildcompanion dot com

There are some places where we deliberately went inconsistent on primary styles because it was necessary to make a table fit on a page (horizontally and/or vertically), but there are also places where the transition from the original base file to InDesign has went inconsistently or an error has been (re)introduced. Those we want to fix and I won't release the book in print formats for sale until we've eliminated as many of these as we can.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 05:21:53 AM »
I have a question concerning skills and mounts.

According to the sub-skill rules I wonder why the mounts, especially horses, on page 170 have listed the skill Foraging/survival twice. Once for plains and once for forest, as a separate skills.

As I understand the sub-skill system and the multiple subskill proficiency talent this does not make sense to me. The skill should be listed twice, with both subskills in one pranthesis (for clarity), and the subskill talent listed twice. Or am I missing something?
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:41:27 AM »
I have a question concerning skills and mounts.

According to the sub-skill rules I wonder why the mounts, especially horses, on page 170 have listed the skill Foraging/survival twice. Once for plains and once for forest, as a separate skills.

As I understand the sub-skill system and the multiple subskill proficiency talent this does not make sense to me. The skill should be listed twice, with both subskills in one pranthesis (for clarity), and the subskill talent listed twice. Or am I missing something?

Lack of room in the tables for putting talents in for the mounts. That page is fairly packed, so the data on it is tightly summarised.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 05:47:57 AM »
Ok. Fair enough.

But we should understand that horses have one skill, and two slots of subskill procifiency?

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:00:01 AM »
Ok. Fair enough.

But we should understand that horses have one skill, and two slots of subskill procifiency?

Yes.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 02:06:37 PM »
Please report any further formatting glitches - we'd like to update the pdf to eliminate these and make the print copies available as soon as possible.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 04:06:11 PM »
Pg 19 switches to thick outer table line (unlike previous table on page 15)
Pg 25 image overlaps text under Gnomish blood
pg 33 switches back to thin outer line on tables then back again on pg 34
pg 47 thin again
pg 51 slightly different table formatting again thin lines and change in internal lines
pg 64 now top line of tables is dark unlike previous ones
pg 68 no column headings on carry over table
pg 77 change in table fromat again, no table number
pg 87 big gap to text after image
pg 88 image overlaps horizontal line at bottom
pg 92,93 complete change in table style
pg 94 formatting style of table changes again
pg 95 back to normal
pg 98 similar table style to pg 92
pg 99 table heading and numbering changes
pg 101-109 critical tables missing column headings
pg 110 another big gap between image and text
pg 115 table not numbered

part way through...
Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »
pg 140,144 Image has a caption unlike preceeding ones
pg 146,147 table not numbered
pg 148 table has no column headings
pg 149 complete change in table style, no title or numbered
pg 150 table has no column headings
pg 154 partial thick line at bottom of tables
pg 155,156 footer is obscured by table, no column headings on pg 156
pg 165 image has caption.. so far the third one in the book
pg 171 The chapter image/flavour text pages have very inconsistant placement of text to image (see previous notes)
pg 173 Un-merged cells in table 14.1 row 2?
pg 174 one table has no name/number dark column headings
pg 176 second table has no table number/name
pg 184 table has no number or name
pg 185 tables unnumbered, odd spacing in headings
pg 191 Table has no number
pg 192 new table format for lore table, and image overlaps the footer
pg 193 no table name/number and thick lines throughout

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 04:22:21 PM »
I was busy with my daughter's birthday on the weekend so I did not have a chance to put page numbers to things until now.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »
p. 32
Purchasing Skills:
Each time a character goes up a level, he gains a number of Development Points based upon his stats.
Isn't the favored option for DP number based on a static 50 pts?

p. 33
Mandatory Subskills:
For instance, riding a horse is both similar [...]
There seems to have two spaces between "horse" and "is" instead of only one.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »
p. 32
Purchasing Skills:
Each time a character goes up a level, he gains a number of Development Points based upon his stats.
Isn't the favored option for DP number based on a static 50 pts?

Yup. Old vestigial text.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 01:32:27 PM »
I was busy with my daughter's birthday on the weekend so I did not have a chance to put page numbers to things until now.

Thank you for the catches.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »
Should I assume that Dragons and Drakes are going to be covered in the Monster book, because there are only a few places I see them mentioned? Which leads to these:
p. 154 Only a listing for Demons for monsters starting D-F
pp. 155-156, p. 160 both go directly from Centaur to Gargoyle.

#LotorAllura2024

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »
Dragons and Drakes are for the Bestiary. We decided that cramming them into the Monsters chapter of the core rulebook would not do them justice.

Best wishes
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell