Author Topic: Warhammer Fantasy conversion?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
Warhammer Fantasy conversion?
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:32:09 PM »
Has anyone done a conversion for RM2 of WHF ? I was wondering if anyone had any conversion notes for classic WHF creatures such as Fimir , Zoats , Snotlings & Jabberwocky? The creatures are the hardest part of converting between the two games . The rest is easy .
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: Warhammer Fantasy conversion?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:29:08 AM »
If you'd be willing, I'd be interested in any of the conversion notes. I need skill roll conversions especially, such as this difficulty is equivalent to +0 maneuver, and all that comes with it.
I've never played WFRP, but I need the numbers for writing a home brew supplement, that applies to all major RPG's.
Game On!

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:15:36 AM »
Not so much worried about converting the monsters as I am character creation.  How would you convert the Careers system?
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »
I think you could convert the careers, but you'd have to do something like linked professions, with gates for entry into new ones.

For example, a Thief could exit into Burglar, Montebanc, or Dancer with certain minimum skill bonuses and (maybe) stats and a minimum level (although the minimum skill bonuses might take care of that). Once they switched, their DP costs would change to the new profession. You may have to reset levels, or simply ignore them and base everything on having completed a particular minimum skill level "package" to exit to a new career.

You may have to create some new professions to mimic the WH world structure, but I think it could be done.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline talsharien

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »
Such a conversion would work with HARP a lot better than RM2 tbh

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »
Such a conversion would work with HARP a lot better than RM2 tbh

Actually I don't think it makes much difference. RM2 can be tweaked in this way provided you look at professions differently. I've done some stuff along these lines with a more modern setting, so it's not a foreign concept to me. If you take the classic WHFRP (back when GW still published it) idea of careers, they were more gateways or stepping stones than actual professions. You could structure professions that way, although it will take some work with skill costs, gateway paths, and possibly XPs (depending on how you decide to deal with a "career change").
Darn that salt pork!

Offline lordmalachdrim

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:13:26 PM »
With RM Classic I used the non-profession for everyone and as they did things what would be in effect changing professions I'd make minor changes to the skill costs to represent their new focus.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
With RM Classic I used the non-profession for everyone and as they did things what would be in effect changing professions I'd make minor changes to the skill costs to represent their new focus.

That doesn't really track with how WHFRP did the careers thing, though.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:25:29 AM »
 What I would do is do a complete list of skill costs. Then bump the skill costs up or down depending on the career. Now the thing is to bump up the cost on the things that the career does not do slightly more the things it does do. Also all skill bumps are not equal as I am sure you have found out as some skills are more useful than others.
  The main problem with what you are trying to do is a bookkeeping one in that if there is a problem with math and you have to recreate a PC or NPC you have to have very good notes to do the recreation.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.