Author Topic: Got a special items question!  (Read 1389 times)

Offline rgmadd7

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Got a special items question!
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »
Loyal Unusual Creature? What can I have as a first level character? What do or would you normally allow in your game? Can I have a baby griffon that will go up in level as I do, or is that too much? How do you handle this, I know there's a talent called Special Familiar for 18 points but I don't want to share my XP.
"You know what ol' Jack Burton says at a time like this?"

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Got a special items question!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
Depends on power level of the game, to be honest, though I'd let a lot slide if the PC has a good back story for something.  "Yeah, it's a baby griffin, but it's not like I wanted the thing.  Do you know how much this little guy eats?  Still, after watching those hunters shoot its mother from the sky, I couldn't let the little guy just perish.  Now the little rascal attracts attention everywhere we go, and every street urchin wants a feather "for good luck."...."

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
Battle Cat, the, uh, cats meow of special familiars.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:09:07 AM »
IMHO I always leave it up to the GM it is there game world and they have to work it into the story.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
I agree with markc.  Depends on the GM.

I had a character where the GM gave my character a kraytag.  A kraytag is a creature very similar to the Thanator in Avatar (the guy made it up some 13 years ago).  Similar to Ynglaur's griffon, it was a baby kraytag that had survived an attack on his mother by a dorgador (even worse than the Thanator).  Although the kraytag was a powerful addition to my character, the GM was the one who gave it to my character.  And until the kraytag got large enough to hunt for itself, it was like Ynglaur said, "Ever seen how much that creature eats?  I have to spend almost all day hunting for it."

Thus, it depends on the GM.  IMHO, I would allow a baby griffon.  Besides, it'd be fun watching your character trying to feed the thing before it could hunt on its own.  But then again, I'm that kind of GM.  ;D

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 10:16:22 PM »
Once it reached maturity for that animal type, I wouldn't allow it to advance in level.

You could train the animal, though. This could result in better OB, more commands, etc.

You could always try to make it a familiar or even a Familiar. Runes for those spells might be available; 1/day for 1-2 weeks. YGMV.

You could also use a form of Bonding for the animal.. results vary.

I agree, talk to your GM; it's their game. If a player came to me with an actual back story that described how this particular option occurred, well, I'd be so shocked that I'd allow something from really mean cat to ox size.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline rgmadd7

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 08:17:57 PM »
Ok, that was all helpful, thank you. So, about maturity, Griffons have an average level of 8F that can fluctuate from Lvl2 - Lvl21 on the Level Chart in creatures and monsters. Lvl2 being young, Lvl8 being average adult, and Lvl 21 being the leaders or venerable adults. So, In your oppinion, would it be too far a stretch to say that the Griffon would gain a level each time my character gains a level topping out at 21st Lvl? Or should I give it a level each year until it reaches 21st level over the coarse of 21 years? Or should I use a mix of both methods based on what my GM says and the circumstances of the griffons adventures, in a way tracking it's expierience? Is Lvl 21 too much in your oppinion?

Would any of you allow it in your game? Should i suggest to him that the griffon start at 2nd Lvl as an infant without the ability to hunt or fly and adjust it's stats to it's new lower level, do you think he would feel it a fair and balanced background choice? Also If my character found it a few years ago, could it be 2nd Lvl not an infant but just young at 2nd level, having access to it's flight and attacks but at a second level griffons adjusted stats?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
  IMHO, I would as a GM use the exp chart the players use and have the Griffon track exp as a player does. Note IMHO, you can do training for the Griffon to gain some ranks as a TP.

I would send an email to my GM and get on the same page and not to make the creature too powerful or too weak. I would also treat it like a second PC for the player, which may or may not work in your GM's game and may disrupt player vs. player balance. ie others will begin to resent your great rolls during PC gen even though the Griffon is going to be a bit of a pain for the PC to take care of and protect.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:25:46 PM »
As for the kraytag example I gave earlier, the GM handled it as an extra PC with it gaining XP and rising in level as any other PC.

But that was my GM at that time.  Personally, I have never handled such a situation, but if I were, I would handle it the same way.  The creature would literally be a second PC for the player to handle.  If necessary, as happened with my character and the kraytag, the creature may get passed to the GM as a NPC in certain situations.

As far as starting level, I would start the creature at level 1.  The kraytag my character found was actually level 0, being only three months old and still nursing.  She had a time getting the kraytag to eat and almost lost it a few times.  She named it Inorajtal which means Strong Life.  Later I found out the GM wanted to have some fun with my character.  Then Inorajtal ended up being another PC.

Unfortunately, that GM died of pulmonary cystic fibrosis before my character got beyond 12th level.  As for maximum level, I would say that an unusual creature at 21st level would be formidable enough.

As for DevPnts, the creature would not get any.  The creature would learn skills taught to it by the character using the skill Animal Training.  Of course natural skills such as attacks would be skills the creature could learn without the Animal Training.  As a GM I would allow an extra +50% bonus for its attacks since it is being trained with a human (or other).  For example, if the creature would have a 120LClaw attack in the wild, I would allow it to be increased up to a 180LClaw.

However, all the above is moot since it is up to your GM.  As markc said, ask.  The worse s/he can do is say no.  And I would have a back up plan in place in case the GM does say no.

Good Luck

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »
Or should I use methods based on what my GM says... 

I believe this is the best answer. :)

Would I allow it? Sure! Griffons like horse flesh IIRC. A young developing creature probably couldn't control itself. I hope the party likes walking. A trained falcon might be easier to manage.

As hits and Exhaustion change with level, I'd alter OB too. Maybe it could be the Stamina Bonus; just use it for OB/lvl modifier. That might just be a House Rule.

The C&M book states that "if griffons are intensely trained in their youth, then they will be a fierce, loyal steed, obedient to none save its rider".
As others have stated, a Training Package, Griffon Trainer, might be required. Don't be surprised if this requires around 2 years or more!

A Tusker Goblin TP for riders of Battle Boars requires 52 months.
Boar Saddler -(similar to above but for Hobgoblins) takes 104 months.
Brelisker- The Hobgob version of lizard rider needs 94 months.

Also, I could see your GM saying that you might have to retire the PC while you intensely train the young cub.

If a female can only have 1/year, it might be reasonable to assume they need total care for the first year. Possibly additional care after that.

Or just ride a horse and pick a trained falcon.

Let us know how it goes. I'm always eager to hear of other people's games!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline rgmadd7

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
Thanks to everyone, very helpful as always. I will run it by him.