Author Topic: Shadow World Slang  (Read 2100 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Shadow World Slang
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »
I was just wondering if there was any common slang? Like, what would a guy who speaks Shay (the common tongue on Emer, right?) say instead of: damn or crap! Or any common phrases, like: "a bee's knees," or "shake a leg"? Anything like that.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
Re: Shadow World Slang
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:26:11 PM »
I'd love to see a responce to this topic , maybe a list with slang & it's meaning.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
I was just wondering if there was any common slang? Like, what would a guy who speaks Shay (the common tongue on Emer, right?) say instead of: damn or crap! Or any common phrases, like: "a bee's knees," or "shake a leg"? Anything like that.

Well you'll find some in the dialogue of the Shadowstone story, which I've just created as I went along. Seems like mostly Jad's exclamations...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 04:31:21 AM »
Well you'll find some in the dialogue of the Shadowstone story, which I've just created as I went along. Seems like mostly Jad's exclamations...

Any chance of someone listing them all here? :)

I loved Joss Whedon's FireFly for many reasons... but the slang he created for his universe was certainly one of them as it added lots of new flavour! Like 'verse' means 'universe', 'shinny' means 'good/great', 'purple bellies' means the 'military' (because of their armour) etc as well as their swearing in Chinese! :D
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »

Any chance of someone listing them all here? :)

I loved Joss Whedon's FireFly for many reasons... but the slang he created for his universe was certainly one of them as it added lots of new flavour! Like 'verse' means 'universe', 'shinny' means 'good/great', 'purple bellies' means the 'military' (because of their armour) etc as well as their swearing in Chinese! :D

Sorry Craig I got too much on my plate already, but there are people re-reading all of Shadowstone to catch up, so maybe ask at that thread, some might want to pick out what I've written. It's mostly a few things like 'Go to Charon' or some derogatory slang terms.

As for Firefly, I just never got it (maybe too 'western' which I dislike), though I loved Buffy and Angel. I did love the new Galactica, though it was even a little dark for me at times, they brought back the swear words. Frack!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
Sorry Craig I got too much on my plate already, but there are people re-reading all of Shadowstone to catch up, so maybe ask at that thread, some might want to pick out what I've written. It's mostly a few things like 'Go to Charon' or some derogatory slang terms.

As for Firefly, I just never got it (maybe too 'western' which I dislike), though I loved Buffy and Angel. I did love the new Galactica, though it was even a little dark for me at times, they brought back the swear words. Frack!

I certainly wasn't directing my question to you at all - I'm eagerly awaiting Emer 3 too much to want to slow that down! :P

Buffy and Angel rocked!! As for Galactica, it's darker now but I still can't believe they got away with using 'Frack' in the original version! :O
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »
I had the same reaction to Firefly, though overall I liked it. Whedon just seemed to feel the need to smack us upside the head with all the western stuff in order for us to get the idea of them being out on the wild frontier. I don't need a space captain to have a gun that looked like a 6-shooter and to haul a bunch of cattle to get that. But he does write awesome dialog and the movie was very cool.

I fell out of Galactica during the 2nd season, it was too dark for me.

And, no Terry, don't go out of your way, concentrate on Emer 3 and the Shadowstone Chronicles, we will figure this out.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »
I had the same reaction to Firefly, though overall I liked it. Whedon just seemed to feel the need to smack us upside the head with all the western stuff in order for us to get the idea of them being out on the wild frontier. I don't need a space captain to have a gun that looked like a 6-shooter and to haul a bunch of cattle to get that. But he does write awesome dialog and the movie was very cool.

I fell out of Galactica during the 2nd season, it was too dark for me.

And, no Terry, don't go out of your way, concentrate on Emer 3 and the Shadowstone Chronicles, we will figure this out.

Buffy had some of the smartest dialogue ever!

Some immortal dialogue from last season's Buffy episode "Two to Go." When Willow is an evil super-witch and coming after the surviving members of the nerd-troika. Andrew the ambiguously oriented nerd gets the best dialogue:

Jonathan lets go of Andrew.

XANDER: And Willow will make you two boneless chickens skinless, too.
ANDREW: And then what? You think your little witch buddy's gonna stop with us? (Xander and Anya glaring at him) You saw her! She's a truck-driving Magic Mama! And we've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa-burgers, and not one of you bunch has the midichlorians to stop her.
XANDER: You've never had any tiny bit of sex, have you?
ANYA: The annoying virgin has a point. What if Willow fillets their souls and then comes after us?
XANDER: She won't.
ANYA: You don't know that.
XANDER: We're her friends, Anya. Her family. She would never hurt us.
ANYA: She tried to use you for a hood ornament, Xander. She doesn't care if you live or die.

Xander looks stung by that.

XANDER: Guess you two finally have something in common

Beat. Anya looks slightly chastised. She turns back to her research.

ANYA: I care if you live or die, Xander. I'm just not sure which one I want.
XANDER: Again with the comfort. Look, we both know things might get ugly at, uh, Wiccapalooza. And if it gets really bad...
ANYA: (still not looking at him) Let me guess. You'll propose?

Xander looks a bit hurt by that too, but he presses on.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.