Author Topic: Fair Elf Aura  (Read 5474 times)

Offline djmarvanek

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Fair Elf Aura
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 02:04:27 AM »
For the purposes of this discussion I am assuming pretty much a LotR like setting.

Food for thought. A quote from LoTR "They bore no lights, yet as they walked a shimmer, like the light of the moon above the rim of the hills before it rises, seemed to fall about their feet."
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 09:29:35 AM »
That should help with targeting.
What's my bonus to hit them at night?

It will be interesting to see the results of your poll.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 10:15:27 AM »
Witchking stirring the pot as a the true villain that his namesake was.....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
OK, let me reprase the question.

Do you think it was the author's intent that the visible aura of a fair elf could be hidden from others by a complete covering of the body with clothing? i.e. a rule clarifcation question.

The aura could explain the SD penalty to stealth/sneak rolls.

;D

>>ReaperWolf

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 10:11:09 PM »

The aura could explain the SD penalty to stealth/sneak rolls.

;D

>>ReaperWolf

Thats the best answer I've heard.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 03:20:07 AM »
IMHO I think it depends on whether the elves had viewed the eternal lands (I think they were called) or the silmarills. But this is from memory and I have not gone back and read my Elves book from MERP.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
IMHO I think it depends on whether the elves had viewed the eternal lands (I think they were called) or the silmarills. But this is from memory and I have not gone back and read my Elves book from MERP.

MDC

The Vanyar or Fair Elves came first to the Undying Lands and lived under the light of the Two trees, as did many of the Noldor.  They "absorbed" this light.  Only the fair elves and other ancient elves can have the aura, outside of GM fiat.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 01:29:47 PM »
Thanks Yammahopper that is the quote I was thinking of.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 09:45:40 PM »
The fair elf, as described, was intended to fit with a specific mythos and logic.

It's not a magical aura visible to magic perception. . .it's a glow, like tinkerbell. Fair elves have a glowing aura to them.

I would put that down as definitely an issue the GM should resolve if it's a home brew campaign.

You're not going to get a definitive official answer to this short of a seance of Tolkien, or asking Terry to give an official Shadow World fair elf ruling.

As to how it plays out in your specific game, the GM would need to decide, but the as written version of the fair elf glows slightly, like a pearl under a blacklight. . .heavy clothing would likely cover it up, but it would not be casual to cover it up. . .any exposed skin would glow.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 10:45:28 PM »
The fair elf, as described, was intended to fit with a specific mythos and logic.

It's not a magical aura visible to magic perception. . .it's a glow, like tinkerbell. Fair elves have a glowing aura to them.

I would put that down as definitely an issue the GM should resolve if it's a home brew campaign.

You're not going to get a definitive official answer to this short of a seance of Tolkien, or asking Terry to give an official Shadow World fair elf ruling.

As to how it plays out in your specific game, the GM would need to decide, but the as written version of the fair elf glows slightly, like a pearl under a blacklight. . .heavy clothing would likely cover it up, but it would not be casual to cover it up. . .any exposed skin would glow.

There are no fair elves in SW...unless terry added them?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 07:22:09 AM »
I do think that Fair Elves are neat & have a place inside of any worlds mythos; an ancient being much sought for wisdom or guidance, a remnant from a lost time; where perhaps the peoples were closer to their gods; or an alien race who have interbred with the locals creating "lesser" beings who don't sparkle like a light bright if christams morning....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
I do think that Fair Elves are neat & have a place inside of any worlds mythos; an ancient being much sought for wisdom or guidance, a remnant from a lost time; where perhaps the peoples were closer to their gods; or an alien race who have interbred with the locals creating "lesser" beings who don't sparkle like a light bright if christams morning....

...or the last stinking line of elves to hunt to extinction...

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 10:06:56 AM »
"No glowing elves" would indeed be an official ruling. . .I try not to say something like "There are no halflings in SW" because Terry might create some out of the way corner full of midgets and surprise me.

It's a game world call though. . .do you want one of the types of elves to have a "fairy glow" to them or not?

Offline djmarvanek

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 06:26:27 PM »
Food for thought. A quote from LoTR "They bore no lights, yet as they walked a shimmer, like the light of the moon above the rim of the hills before it rises, seemed to fall about their feet."

I can't help but conclude (though I understand any ambiguity) that the elf is not glowing. i.e. the elf's skin is not radiating light. I'd have expected something in the description eluding to this.

So I have made the ruling for my campaign that the fair elf aura is a subtly luminous effect surrounding the elf (i.e. a limited area of effect) and is not blocked by clothing. Many peoples objections to this view seem to be motivated by the implications of role-playing such a character. I tend to rule what is realistic and logical in preference over what is convenient to the players. A little harsh perhaps, but I'm not forcing anyone to play a Fair Elf.
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 06:53:24 PM »
Elves, in general, have enough game bonuses going for them. About the only negative aspect is their slow healing rates. This is probably why they learned to grow herbs.

I'm all for glowing elves. It makes them easier to spot in the trees. :)

The old Wormy comics used to have little trolls who used fireflies for torches. I could see larger trolls with a few elves roped together on the end of a pole..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 07:14:33 PM »

I can't help but conclude (though I understand any ambiguity) that the elf is not glowing. i.e. the elf's skin is not radiating light. I'd have expected something in the description eluding to this.

So I have made the ruling for my campaign that the fair elf aura is a subtly luminous effect surrounding the elf (i.e. a limited area of effect) and is not blocked by clothing. Many peoples objections to this view seem to be motivated by the implications of role-playing such a character. I tend to rule what is realistic and logical in preference over what is convenient to the players. A little harsh perhaps, but I'm not forcing anyone to play a Fair Elf.

I like your ruling and give an idea point.

Besides, it is easy to assume that a spell such as shadows or darkness or whatever will cover the light for the duration of the spell.  In fact, I see no reason to assume otherwise.  I would even rule this for change of kind spells.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
It certainly works any of the three ways, they glow, they have an aura, or if the GM no like, they don't. . .

But it'd be a GM world call, not a player call. . .if you're in a glowing elf world and don't want to glow, don't play a fair elf.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 05:35:57 PM »
"No glowing elves" would indeed be an official ruling. . .I try not to say something like "There are no halflings in SW" because Terry might create some out of the way corner full of midgets and surprise me.

It's a game world call though. . .do you want one of the types of elves to have a "fairy glow" to them or not?

Unless something has radically changed ... Terry has permenently nixed the idea of Halflings in SW ... it was one of the founding differentiators between the two original "Official Worlds" supported by old ice ...

Offline Setorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »
I have handled Fair Elves differently in different settings.

1) Fair Elves can control the Aura at will.

2) Fair Elves can control the Aura at will using 50% action

3) Fair Elves can turn the Aura of and on equal to Temp SD/10

4) Fair Elves cannot control Aura but spells, spell-like abilities can mitigate its negatives (e.g. max -25 to Hide), and I gave Fair Elves a +5 to all Social rolls.

5) No one may play a Fair Elf.

6) All the Fair Elves left.

7)  My favorite, the Fair Elf dims (min. -5 Hide) the Aura (mitigated by Spells), Orcs receive a +5 to see a Fair Elf even if totally "hidden." +5 to 25 (mitigated by Spells) to perceive the Fair Elf even when Invisible.   Heavy clothing with no skin exposure (including veils) with dimming can reduce the visual penalties to zero.  Once per day the Fair Elf may use the Aura spell (50% action, a mentalism version).  The Fair Elf may read by this light.  He may raise and lower the strength of his Aura gaining a +5 to 25 to appropriate Social Roll.   

Rev. Scott

It all started with two men vs. three-hundred thousand orcs.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 09:07:46 AM »
I suggest that, for most questions, the answer "it depends on your world" is banned, as it doesn't answer anything since it applies to everything. Instead, people could tell how it works in their world/game and explain the logic behind it? >_<
As far as I understand it, in LoTR, Fair Elves are godlings or at least beings similar to angels in Christian mythos. As such, their aura is an aura of power, a manifestation of their "angelic" state (the way angels are usually described as surrounded with an aura of divine light). The first answer to the question at hand IMO is: why would a Fair Elf even try to hide his aura anyway? Do you think that angels would hide their angelic nature to human beings? The same way, the Lordly Elves would probably not.
As for how much of a bonus that gives to fire at them, well... if you were able to resist the awe they inspire, you probably don't need any bonus anyway.

At last, in worlds where Fair Elves aren't the majestic, god-like beings they're in LoTR, they should not have such an aura so there's no problem with it.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.