Author Topic: Fair Elf Aura  (Read 5549 times)

Offline djmarvanek

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Fair Elf Aura
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:46:13 AM »
Rolemaster Classic. Fair Elf description p.g. 44. "They project a visible aura at all times".

I'm interested in peoples opinion/interpretation of this phenomenon. Specifically, can a fair elf hide the aura from others by completely covering themselves with clothing?

David
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Fair Elf Aura
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 06:00:53 AM »
We have ignored this part of the Fair Elf description.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:16:48 AM »
I assume it can be turned on and off, but extremes of emotion can "activate" the light.  We use the Alkar spell for describing the affect but call it Soul light.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
We've always ignored this as well.
You could always say that it's visible, but doesn't actually emit light. Like fumes coming off gasoline/petrol. The aura can bee seen if you have enough light to see. Though for elves, you don't need much light.

Eleven aura.. Look at me! I'm an elf!
Twilight's needy-angst vampire glow.. Look at me! I'm a teenager!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »
I make it visible on the "astral plane" similar to the scene in LoTR where Arwin faces the 9 at the ford of Rivendell & Frodo sees her glowing as he is turning into a wraith...
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline djmarvanek

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »
OK, let me reprase the question.

Do you think it was the author's intent that the visible aura of a fair elf could be hidden from others by a complete covering of the body with clothing? i.e. a rule clarifcation question.

Offline Gymnosophist

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:55:55 AM »
OK, let me reprase the question.

Do you think it was the author's intent that the visible aura of a fair elf could be hidden from others by a complete covering of the body with clothing? i.e. a rule clarifcation question.

Who can realistically speculate as to the authors' intent? However, I sincerely doubt they intended that Fair Elves would have no way of concealing their aurae, thereby exposing them to all and sundry, making them ready targets for enemy attacks, blowing any chance of stalk/hide, turning themselves into walking beacons, even when invisible. This would make the Fair Elf completely unviable as a player character. Is that what the authors intended? I don't think so. Fine if you want to go with yammahoper's suggestion and treat it as similar to the Alkar spell, in an effort to mitigate such a sever penalty; but this seems to me to introduce an unnecessary mechanic into a game which strives to be less complicated than it's predecessors.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:58:01 AM »
IMHO, the intent was that Fair Elves were to be obvious.  So, mundane clothing would not suffice.  I do not think that the aura precludes stalk/hide or invisibility.  If you can see a Fair Elf, you can tell that it's a Fair Elf.  Basically, it's like gay-dar, except it's always correct, and everyone has it.

Offline Gymnosophist

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 06:04:58 AM »
IMHO, the intent was that Fair Elves were to be obvious.  So, mundane clothing would not suffice.  I do not think that the aura precludes stalk/hide or invisibility.  If you can see a Fair Elf, you can tell that it's a Fair Elf.  Basically, it's like gay-dar, except it's always correct, and everyone has it.

Agreed. But note that this is perfectly consistent with being able to cloak an aura. A black man is obviously and undeniably black. Everyone can see that he is black. In a sea of blond haired, blue eyed Norwegians he stands out like dogs' balls. But he can hide his identity simply and effectively by wearing a cloak.

As for an aura not interfering with invisibility or stalk/hide, I do not see how this would be possible under the proposed reading. Suppose a Fair Elf were to hide in naught but deep shadows. Are you saying that his aura, which you suggest penetrates his clothing, somehow mysteriously vanishes because of his hiding skill?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:10:02 AM by Gymnosophist »

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:49:49 AM »
Are you suggesting that everyone is capable of seeing auras?

In my interpretation auras are magical essence and therefore someone with the ability to see magical essence would be able to always see a fair elf as a fair elf - despite attempts to obscure themselves with disguises and transformations.

With this interpretation the aura can not be blocked with clothing, or even with invisibility (as long as they are within line of sight) - but a successful hide roll would work since it allows for hiding behind objects or out of line of sight.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Gymnosophist

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 06:56:19 AM »
Are you suggesting that everyone is capable of seeing auras?

Well the Fair Elf racial description in RMC clearly states that they "project a visible aura at all times". Are you suggesting that the visible aura is only visible to people who can see aurae? I see a few logical problems with this kind of reasoning.

Offline djmarvanek

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 07:01:54 AM »
The rules specifically state the aura is visible. It does not mention requireing any specail vision to see it. So I'd say it was at least visible in the ordinary sense.

Offline Gymnosophist

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 07:12:33 AM »
The rules specifically state the aura is visible. It does not mention requireing any specail vision to see it. So I'd say it was at least visible in the ordinary sense.

Then I cannot see how a Fair Elf would be a viable player character, without introducing yet another mechanic to offset the huge penalty of being a walking beacon. The authors are on these boards. Ask them. Is that what they intended?

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 07:55:10 AM »
Actually, yes - I am suggesting that auras are not visible to anyone without a special ability to see auras.  That's just my interpretation (similar in concept to WitchKing20K).

If you are going to play it as visible to normal vision, then I would suggest that the aura can be blocked by clothing for exactly the reason given by Gymnosophist.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
The fair elf, being a Tolkien remnant of the Vanyar, are never intended to be player characters unless the adventure takes place in Valinor.  They do not leave the undying lands/higher planes.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
IMHO, Elves (any kind) aren't intended to be PC's.
My players disagree. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline djmarvanek

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »
If you are going to play it as visible to normal vision, then I would suggest that the aura can be blocked by clothing for exactly the reason given by Gymnosophist.

I take it you subscribe to what I refer to as the light bulb view. i.e. that a fair elf body is analogous to a low watt light bulb. This I believe is Gymnosophist's view.

My view is that the aura surrounds the elf, and is luminescent. It is the aura around the elf that glows not the elf itself.  Hence covering the elf with clothes will not block the aura.

If you have not already voted I'd encourage you to vote. You should be able to change your vote should your opinion change.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:32:43 PM by djmarvanek »

Offline djmarvanek

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »
Then I cannot see how a Fair Elf would be a viable player character, without introducing yet another mechanic to offset the huge penalty of being a walking beacon.

Not sure you meant this literally, but just in case, I did not imagine the light given off by the aura to be that bright. More a subtle luminescence. Difficult to see at a distance, except perhaps at night or dark environments.

Also whether a Fair Elf is a playable character of not is a related but separate question. I'm more interested in peoples opinion of the aura in terms of it's nature and effects. Less interested in the roleplaying character playability considerations.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »

I take it you subscribe to what I refer to as the light bulb view. i.e. that a fair elf body is analogous to a low watt light bulb. This I believe is Gymnosophist's view.

Actually I subscribe to the astral aura concept as described by WitchKing20K - but if you are going to permit the aura to be visible to normal vision then I would recommend you use the concept that only visible flesh shine the aura (including eyes).

And my vote is already in there....  but based upon the astral version - not the illumination aura.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 10:52:20 PM »
 IMHO it depends on your game world and how close it is to the LotR or you want it to be close to LotR.
 As to my vote it depends on the game world I am running.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.