Author Topic: SM Future Law & Tech Law 2nd U.S ed. 1986 errata  (Read 1533 times)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SM Future Law & Tech Law 2nd U.S ed. 1986 errata
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »
I'm really not expecting anything, but does anyone have errata for
Future Law 2nd U.S. ed. 1986, Tech Law 2nd U.S. ed. 1986, and/or Space Master Companion 2nd U.S. ed. 1987.

Part of my reason for asking is that I found a spreadsheet I did of Jym-bob's Flying Merino which was missing entries for the Sensors and Communications. Checking the Tech Law, again, I didn't see them mentioned. Additionally, where are the instructions for developing the Tight Beam Laser and Tachyon Beam Dictor?

If anyone does have the information, again not expecting anything after so long, I'd greatly appreciate the help.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SM Future Law & Tech Law 2nd U.S ed. 1986 errata
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »
  I have a spreed sheet for V creation for SM2 but it is on my other computer so I cannot give you any info on it right now. If I forget please remind me later.

I do not know of any errata.

From memory; I do not know of any rules for developing TBL and TBD.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
All the errata I could find are copied here, if you find any I missed, let me know.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »
Marc R;
 is the HERE in the post above supposed to be a link?

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »
Nope, but if it were, the "here" would point here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?board=163.0

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »
Thanks Marc R and MarkC, unfortunately the information I'm looking for is for Future Law Stock #9100 ISBN 0-915795-36-1 and Tech Law Stock #9200 ISBN 0-915795-38-8 both of which are 2nd U.S. Edition, 1986 copies.

I think I may have found some problems with Jym-bob's ship design in Tech Law. Both have to do with the Fusion SLD and adding the ram scoop.

The text mentions adding a ram scoop for the Fusion SLD in the Fuel Storage step. The instructions state that adding a ram scoop results in needing only a 1 cumet tank for fuel storage and the scoop and tank package costs 30,000 Elmonits.

The example at the end of the Auxiliary Reactor step doesn't include the Fusion SLD fuel ram scoop and tank.

Looking at the Starship Design Worksheet, but not supported in the design steps that I an find, in the Sub Light Drive section the text states:

(Fusion): Ships Volume/100 for each acceleration rating pick. If using a ram scoop, add a flat Ships Volume/50.

The example shows Jym-bob using the Ships Volume/100 to allocate space in the Flying Merino's hull.

Anyway, is there someplace else I should be asking a questions about SpaceMaster 1, aka original version?
Tom R

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »
Nope, this is the right area, generally Defendi would be considered the best source for official replies.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »
I will check my copies and see what I come up with.
MDC

In general I think you should just say something like:
SM1 Questions:
1) Q; Book Page #
2) Q; Book Page #
SM2 Questions Version 2 US:
1) Q; Book Page #
2) Q; Book Page #

This way it is easy to see just what version the question is for and what books people need to look at.
Etc
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 09:16:53 PM »
Thanks Marc R for letting me know that I'm in the right place to ask questions about the earlier versions of SM.

Hopefully Defendi will have enough time in his schedule to stop by and provide an insight on this. If not I'll muddle through the best I can.
Tom R

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 10:00:19 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion on how to make my questions clearer so here goes another attempt.

SM1 Future Law Step by Step Starship Construction Design.

Step 13 Fuel Storage p. 31

Fusion SLD fuel volume: .005 cumet x (Drive ER) = one hour of operation. Add an additional 10% to this volume for containment equipment. If Ram Scoop incorporated, standard 1 cumet tank is kept filled by scoop (as long as the ship is moving through N-space).

Example: To Power his M/A drives, Jym-bob decides on a 10 cumet fuel container, enough to propel the Merino 1000 light-years: .001 x (Drive ER, in this case 10) x (10 cumet tank) = 1000 light-years. He also allows for Matter/Antimatter Reactor/Energizer fuel storage to last 500 days: .001 x 438 (TER) x 5 (for 500 days) = 2.19. Total M/A storage requirement (rounding off): 12. For the M/A fuel enclosure he needs an extra 50%, or 6 cumets, bring total volume to 18. His storage facility is the base of 1000 + (18 x 1000) = 19,000 Elmonits. He incorporates a ram scoop to power his fusion drive, so he needs only the 1 cumet tank, and pays 30,000 Elmonits for the scoop package.[/quote]

Step 14 Auxiliary Reactor Example:
Jym-bob does another calculation to figure out how much volume he has left: 980 - 219 (main energizer) - 18 for M/A fuel - 30 (aux. energizer) = 713.

The calculation appears to have missed the 1 cumet tank associated with the Fusion SLD ram scoop, which drops the available from 713 to 712.

4.213 Starship Design Worksheet p. 34 has only one entry concerning the ram scoop which is

11 A. SUB LIGHT DRIVE UNIT (Fusion): Vehicle Volume (2)/100 for each acceleration pick. If using a ram scoop, add a flat Vehicle Volume (2)/50.

I'm interpreting the text to mean that this is the calculation for the volume taken up by the ran scoop. The Merino has a mass of 1000 tons and a volume of 3,000 cumets. 3,000/50 = 60 cumets in addition 360 cumets needed for the Fusion SLD.

I've checked the text very carefully and I can't find any mention of these two items.

Thanks MarkC for any help you can give me, even though SM1 isn't the big kid on the block.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 05:39:49 AM »
 I have Stock # 9200 Tech Law US Printing and on page 31 it has (13) Fuel Storage section. It is not in my Future Law book. In my book it states "If Ramscoop is incorporated, standard 1 cumet tank is kept filled by scoop (as long as ship is moving through N space)." 

To me that says that if you have a Ramscoop it keeps a tank of size 1 cumet filled as long as the ship is moving through N-Space.

Page 31 #9200 (13) Aux Reactor:  is in step 13 and not 14 like the worksheet on page 34. Also on page 34 there is no entry for the fuel scoops in section 13 it is in section 11.

Page 34 #11A: Yes IMHO they are talking about the size of the fuel scoop here.

MDC

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
Oops, sorry about including Future Law, which has no bearing on the questions I'm asking, yet.

My copy of Tech Law show the following (abbreviated) material in the second column on p. 31.

(14) Auxiliary Reactor: (Powers only ship on-board systems; no power for weapons, drives, or shields...

Example: To determine the volume and cost of the aux. reactor.

Additional Facilities

I do have a little quibble about with the aux. reactor not powering the SLD. A submarine, the closest to a starship I know of, has two aux. power sources. A diesel generator and batteries that can provide limited power that can be used to drive the propeller at a very little speed. Does SM: P have the same restriction placed on the aux. reactor?

I've discovered a couple more items.

One is between (12)Reactor/Energizer calculations on SM1 Tech Law p. 31 and the Starship Design Worksheet SM1 Tech Law p. 34.

(12) Reactor/Energizer
Matter/Antimatter Reactor Volume = 0.5 x TER
Fusion Reactor Volume = 1.0 x TER
Fission Reactor Volume = 2.0 x TER

Worksheet (12) Reactor/Energizer
Matter/Antimatter Reactor Volume = 0.5 x TER
Fusion Reactor Volume = 0.75 x TER
Fission Reactor Volume = 1.5 x TER

Personally, I like the Fusion and Fission factors from the worksheet better.  However, which one is correct?

The other is in (5) Required Astronautic crew SM1 Future Law p. 28 and 29 dealing with the Sensors and Communication sub-entries.

Important cost considerations for the Bridge are Sensors and Communications. They play no significant part in volume, because they are very compact in the high technology of Space Master, and their consoles have already been purchased. However, the additional equipment cost must be taken into account.
p. 28 last paragraph above Sensors.

Communications (p. 29): The cost and volume is the same for both Tachion Beam and Laser transmission/reception ability.

The earlier entry states that communications equipment volume doesn't have a significant part in the design. Of course I could be understanding the text wrong.
Tom R