Author Topic: Vexille inspired techno virus  (Read 2869 times)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Vexille inspired techno virus
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »
For those of you who doesnt know, Vexille is a Japanese Animation that came out last year. It is set in the near future but with power armor and cybernetic enhancements on par with Appleseed and similar animations. It is a visual beauty with a plot containing a moral.

Anyways I was thinking to reproduce an element of that movie into my SM game and I was wondering if what I have come up with is usable or not.

The virus slowly turns living tissue into functional biometal, which will end with the target being turned into a functional Android, though under the control of the creators of the Virus.

The process will take a total of 100 weeks, during which the following modifiers will take effect:

- Bonus vs Poison and Disease equal to the number of weeks suffering from the virus (25 weeks = +25)
- Increased healing rate. Each week increases healing by 1% if the victim consumes high metal nourisments.
- Increase in Strength, Constitution stat bonuses as well as and DB. Each transpired set of 10 weeks increases the values by 1.
- Victim requirements of food and sleep is reduced at the rate of 1% pr week. Note victim will need to consume metal to increase healing (maybe even to heal at all)
- Victim slowly grows distant and emotionless, meaning pr 5 weeks Empathy and Presence stat bonuses are reduced by 1.
- Loss of taste, touch and smell, -1 pr 5 weeks to such perception checks.

I havent decided if the effects should be reversable or kept from spreading throughout a body by consuming constant medication.

Still I am looking for input on this little idea of mine. Thank you in Advance
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Vexille inspired techno virus
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »
 First I would like to say thanks for a new show to watch, I will put it on my Netflix list.

About the virus. I think that a virus is common type of theam or plot devide in many futureistic games. I also think you are going to have to determine just how the virus spreads, infection rate, probablity of spread by contact type, virus prevention methods and like you said is there a way to destroy it in the body or outside the body.
 Another point sometimes PC's can get a little touchy when thrown into the situation you have described above. Such as the Psi PC who now finds his Psi powers no longer work like they did when he was human, etc. Or maybe one group uses a computer interface to stop the virus from taking controll of the person.
 Also I have a little bit of a hard time rationalising the human body changing to bio-metal. Also IMO if there was bio-metal it would impeed some types of actions just like armor does. [I seem to remember from some where a metal that changes it flexability depending on the current applied to it. This could work for future armor as the current could use an encrypted info to allow the armor to be flexable, There is also shape changing metal in some future settings.] Another problem I have is with the brain and its conversion to whatever conditions the evil NPC's need to controll the mind. I am not trying to say that it would not be a fun campaign world but I just have a little trouble rationalizing it for my players.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »
Cool! I think I'll steal the idea for my fantasy campaign!  ;D

For the virus: as Markc pointed out it's a bit hard rationalizing that an actual virus change your body into metal... what about nanomachines? They could spread throughout the body and, while not changing it into living-metal could always have the nasty mind-control effect (plus other side effects you like).
Obviously, if you since the bio-metal thing is cool you could keep it anyway and probably none will bother of rationalizing it  :)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 08:11:59 PM »
Well basically it was all based on the Animation where humans are turned in Androids, but yeah I went into some of the same thoughts as you mentioned. I guess it all depends on how fixed on Hard Science the campaign is.

In the movie the virus is injected and I purpose it is in reality a bunch of nanomachines, but they arent really specific about it in the movie.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame