Author Topic: Potion Identification  (Read 4969 times)

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Potion Identification
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
As we were playing this weekend, we realized the difficulty in actually identifying a potion without quaffing it.
Other than the Liquid Analysis, I was wondering what other folks had done in the past?
We were leaning towards a small amount ingested but that seemed too simplistic. We had considered using Alchemy (the skill) but its description states specifically non-magical.
Labels... seriously who wouldn't want to label their potions?
EG: C crit to the chest, dieing in a few rounds, gasping to the fighter... "the tall bottle with the swirling stars in it... no.. you idi... oth.. one.."

;D

True story from a LARP. My friend got together a group for a little cave crawl. The group was a little overpowered (ok, a lot overpowered) for what it turned out to be, so he decided to sit it out, wait outside. We go through the kobold caves and when we come out, find my friend lying unconscious on the ground, with two kobolds next to him. What happened? One of the kobolds snuck up behind him and knocked him out. They pulled two potions off his body. One was labeled "Resist Paralysis" and the other "Poison Resistance". So, they drank them. First potion paralyzed the drinker, second one was lethal poison.

So....  label potions, yes...  but who are the labels intended for? Clever labeling saved all his other possessions from being taken.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Potion Identification
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 07:39:58 AM »
So....  label potions, yes...  but who are the labels intended for? Clever labeling saved all his other possessions from being taken.
I guess your allies need to know you put pink dye in the poisons and yellow dye in the heals.
 ;D
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist