Author Topic: How do you kill a dragon?  (Read 20642 times)

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How do you kill a dragon?
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
Well I can see a drake being highly resistant to their elements as to almost being Immune to that point anyway.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2014, 10:29:36 PM »
I forgot.  They were practically immune to their primary element.  Thanks for adding.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »
Dragons are immune to all elements...
Game On!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2014, 06:59:14 PM »
Dragons are immune to all elements...

I always ruled they were only immune to their "home" element.  A fire drake is immune to fire/heat.  A swamp drake is immune to toxic gases.  An ice drake is immune to ice/cold.  But they were particularly vulnerable to diametric elements such as a fire drake taking double effects from ice/cold, etc.  The same thing went for Elementals and other elemental entities.

Are you sure about the immunity to all elements?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2014, 03:44:10 AM »
Since I remade all the creatures for RMU, I have been studying all the abilities closely, but true drakes get immunity to all elements. That is what makes them so dangerous: cannot kill all dragons with just a few well placed lightning bolts (except the light drake). Then add to that their sheer size and the all round attacks and their formidible defenses.

Funny thing is that dragons, even though they are among the highest level creatures, still were the hardest to balance. They cannot afford all their talents, especially at a young age. I did tone down the immunities for the lesser drakes in RMU.
Game On!

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
IMO, you're not really supposed to kill a Great Drake, unless it's part of a plot. If it is, the GM could provide a special item etc to make the task possible (but not easy). If your GM allows you to kill Great Drakes just for fun, he/she'd have to invent the Ye Olde Grand Drake afterwords. Or dump a Behemoth in a desert or mountain range nearby.

Mega-monsters like these are meant to keep the players (and their characters) on their toes, so although killing one shouldn't be completely impossible, if there was a fail-safe slayer's manual on how to kill one, the need for a more dangerous monster would present itself soon.

Or suddenly dragons should begin to travel in packs.

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure...   :P

WINNER for best possible answer EVER
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »
I just like the idea of Dragons travelling in packs.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2014, 06:00:26 PM »
Tell it Chuck Norris is coming to fight it. It will die of a heart attack.

[ Note: This is the folk tale Chuck Norris, not the real one. Obviously, he's just an actor and would be a laughable opponent for a dragon. But since we're dealing with a fantasy world creature, I think I'm allowed fantasy Chuck Norris. ]

And I approve this message.

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2014, 01:55:44 AM »
Has anyone ever made Chuck Norris as a PC/NPC?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »

Why?   ???

His movies are second rate.  His TV show was awful.  Why do people love this guy?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2014, 05:46:20 PM »

Why?   ???

His movies are second rate.  His TV show was awful.  Why do people love this guy?

Yet he still has some kind of cult following.  :-\

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #152 on: July 04, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »

Why?   ???

Watch your mouth Yamma...You are badmouthing that overrated punk named Chuck Norris.  Didn't he get his butt kicked by Bruce?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »
Martial Artist versus dragons is a very bad idea.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2014, 11:51:49 PM »
What do you mean? You take some poison the affects dragons only and then junp into the dtagons mouth.
Chuck good or bad, I still want nothing to do with someone who fights like that now or then.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »
Since I remade all the creatures for RMU, I have been studying all the abilities closely, but true drakes get immunity to all elements. That is what makes them so dangerous: cannot kill all dragons with just a few well placed lightning bolts (except the light drake). Then add to that their sheer size and the all round attacks and their formidible defenses.

Funny thing is that dragons, even though they are among the highest level creatures, still were the hardest to balance. They cannot afford all their talents, especially at a young age. I did tone down the immunities for the lesser drakes in RMU.

IMO I think that you have to give PCs some kind of possibility. yes, IMO there are very few things that would be harder to kill than a Dragon. But if it's possible to kill a deamon....
Making them, the Dragon, immune to *all* elements I think is an unfair disadvantage to PCs and pretty much any other creature including other dragons. I think it makes perfect sense that a Frost Drake would take damage from fire, perhaps even aggravated damage. That is NOT to say that, in this example, that your PC with a torch is any way a threat with that torch, pretty sure the Dragon could snuff that right out. But a spell like a fireball, juiced up, would cause damage.
That just makes sense to me. Others obviously disagree, and that's ok.
It's just a game after all. :)

or

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2014, 02:28:31 PM »
No, I agree opposite elements have some effect on dragons, otherwise dragons that war against each other breath weapons would be useless. Just doesn't seem to make sense. It could be that they resist better than other creatures but still effected minus their home element which gives immunity. This sounds more like it.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
No, I agree opposite elements have some effect on dragons, otherwise dragons that war against each other breath weapons would be useless. Just doesn't seem to make sense. It could be that they resist better than other creatures but still effected minus their home element which gives immunity. This sounds more like it.

+1 agreement.

I have always ruled that a "fire drake" was immune to fire and/or heat.  However, it suffered double damage versus ice and/or cold.  Thus, the reason you will usually only find fire drakes in hot arid climates.  I also ruled that the "fire drake" still suffered normal harm from electrical attacks and water attacks did 1.5x damage/crits.  Earth attacks were normal since they are mostly bash/impact.  Air attacks were also normal since they can be impact, but the wind attacks can really mess up the drake's flight...

Else, as tbigness said, immunity to all elements is fairly pointless.  That would mean all drakes are virtually invulnerable to any attack, except maybe Absolution.  That would also mean you are just as likely to find a "fire drake" in arctic climes as hot climes.  And vice versa.  Et cetera.

rmfr

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2014, 06:25:31 AM »
I agree with the thread about a special item to slay a dragon.  No one in their right mind wakes up one day and goes off to fight a dragon.  IMHO, it should be part of the story and maybe a long goal to confront a dragon.  I have had players kill a dragon in my game, but they worked for many levels planning it, learning Dragon Lore and specific lore and history of said dragon.

I actually had a group of 20th level knights slay two dragons!  One was killed on the first roll, so I was pissed and added it's mate to make the battle seem more epic.  I know killer DM syndrome, but they were full of themselves having slayed the first dragon in a Rolemaster campaign that they played in.  They eventually slayed the second one, but it was part of the plot.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2014, 02:08:55 AM »

Why?   ???

Yet he still has some kind of cult following.  :-\

- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss