Author Topic: Tractor Beams in SM:P  (Read 3955 times)

Offline RMDaisuki

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Asayake Web Design
Tractor Beams in SM:P
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »
Are there any tractor beam rules anywhere in the SM:P Books? I can't seem to find any. ???

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Tractor Beams in SM:P
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:17:50 PM »
I don't think they exist in the Privateers universe.  No force beams either.  THIS CALLS FOR A NEW TABLE!!!

C'mon Robert throw us a bone!

Offline RMDaisuki

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Asayake Web Design
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:25:45 PM »
Yeah I think Spacemaster Privateers does need something to govern tractor beams. Although it has the "Privateers Universe" it is supposed to be a generic Sci-Fi rule set. Therefore, it needs tractor beam rules, as they are in at least two of the major sci-fi genres, i.e Star Trek and Star Wars.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »
 I think it is in the SM:P VM. If not I think it is in the SM2 book Star Strike. I will check tomorrow when I have a chance.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
I wonder if a Tractor Beam critical table that uses the Disruptor table using the beam strength as the OB and the ship's drive power as DB would be the way to go.

That blasted indicator light's blinking again boot we're fine as a day on the beach.

We're gainin' ground but they've got us locked in and we canna get oot of range of their guns.

She's givun yeh all she's got but they're bringun us in regardless.

The stress indicators in the red again!  Sometimes I dunno why they put th' other colours on't.

Th' power core's overloadun' an if we don' shut 'er down we'll have to jetison it before it explodes!

She's comin' apart at the seams I've got to kill the engines Cap'n.

Th' phase harmonics are playin' havok with the inertial compensators!  I told 'um we'd be needun' seat belts.

Ship flies apart with a loud crack as the main structure shatters under the strain.

There's that blasted stress indicator light again, I'll just disconect th' lyin' thing.  BOOOM!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »
 ;D

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:40:14 PM »
Feel free to add more.  We could get a full table.  Extra marks for murdering the English language to make it sound like a certain Scottish enginer!

They dinna get a good grip wit th' beam an' th' wurst uv it is a little fishtail to starboard.

Of course we're spinning end over end sir!  They got a tractor on us but it seems to have blown a fuse when I gave the shield frequency a lil shimmy.

You'd think a professional wuld huv checked to see if it was pushin' or pullin'.  Either way we've picked up some speed.

That's done it, we've broke free but we're tumbling wildly and the navigation computer's whimpering like a whipped pup.

I don' care what the owner's manual says. We cain't just flipp 'er around an' break off with a slingshot effect.

They've got a solid lock on our wee hairs cap'n but we're holdin' our ground fur now.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
There is a wee bit o mention in the Vehicle Man when building ships. It's around 111-112.  Tractors are glossed over and only seem important with tugs.. ???

IMHO, a ship full of tractors would be better than a ship packed with shields and beam weapons. Why not have one device that can do both? If there is something to push/pull against, then you have maneuvering potential too. If the tractors are really powerful, just pull/push against the fabric of space... and there's your drive.
"Yes, it's that easy. And if you order now we'll throw in this pocket fisherman!"
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RMDaisuki

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Asayake Web Design
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:35:50 AM »
Yes! Its on page 111 of Vehicle Manual. Nice work Providence13!

Er, the table isn't very clear..could someone explain what all the numbers mean.
The frame size is the size of the ship right? And the tech level is self explanatory, however, what do the numbers in the table correspond to? Confused again  ???
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:42:44 AM by RMDaisuki »

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
Don't ask me, I only gave it a cursory look. :(
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »
  The numbers are the value you use in the formula above to determine the speed decrease. The formula above is the formula above the chart in the book.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Oldgrue

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »
The problem I have with tractors in combat is the propensity for damage they cause to all parties.

A combat grade tractor would have to be moored in such a way that it didn't just tear itself free from its mounts. Two ships passing at interesting velocities poking eachother with tractors to induce a spin while firing might actually be exciting but risks pushing hardware around inside opposing hulls thanks to that equal/opposite reaction thing.

Tractors would seem then to be something best used at low speeds with time to calculate the results and compensate for them.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
errr...you're worried about the realistic physics of a TRACTOR BEAM?

Next you'll be asking about the inertial dampners or the reactionless engines or the faster than light drive.

:D

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 07:06:25 PM »
Yeah, if ya got shields, artificial G (without a spin habitat) and FTL...
That's thrown in with the kitchen sink.

IMHO, we'll have tractor/pressor "beams" long before FTL and grav plates. But that's just me.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »
I think this was answered (I'm behind on e-mail, so I'm behind on my notifications).  Any outstanding questions?
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline RMDaisuki

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Asayake Web Design
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 05:25:38 PM »
Yes, my question has been answered  :)
I just got confused with the tractor beam example from Vehicle manual, namely the table.

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »

Next you'll be asking about the inertial dampners or the reactionless engines or the faster than light drive.

FTL is possible.  But I don't think our civilization will develop the technology.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline DeadBob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »

The inertial dampers, or RIF, is something I'm still wrestling with.

For Quantm FTL see the work of real-life scientist Miguel Alcubierre. Good stuff. He was also featured on an episode of Sci-Fi Science.

As for Reactionless Drive, I imagine it is something gravitational, as it is tech-level-similar to Gravitic Drive
And both of these I can see explained by tehnology that generates it's own Dark Energy, which is currently a hypothetical construct to explain the accelerating expansion of the universe.

Or you could go with the space drives invented by Professor Hubert Farnsworth, in Futurama; a drive that does not move the ship, but moves the universe around it.