Author Topic: Stacking of Talents  (Read 2487 times)

Offline kasalin

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stacking of Talents
« on: January 24, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »
Do you allow players to take the same talent more than once (excepting talents that specifically state they can be taken multiple times)?

This would be for talents such as Scholar, Outdoorsman,  Subtle, etc. ?  

Would you cap it at no more that 3 times per talent?
* No good deed goes unpunished

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Stacking of Talents
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »
I would strongly discourage allowing any talent that impacts specific skills from being enhanced to be taken more than once.

The skills that are open and can be applied based upon player/GM choice (Skill Specialization) I would allow up to 3 times, but never on the same skill.

Multiple talents, racial abilities and professional abiliities may overlap each other and should be allowed to stack.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
I would not allow characters to take Talents multiple times unless it is explicitly allowed in the rules. I.e. I would not allow a character to take Subtle twice.

I have no objection to characters gaining bonuses to the same skill from multiple distinct sources, e.g. raising their Stalking & Hiding by a professional bonus, Skill Specialization, and Subtle.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Winterknight

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 02:39:57 AM »
I follow the guidelines as written in this instance.

From page 47 of my Harp PDF:

"Unless otherwise stated in the description of the talent, a character may normally acquire a talent only once. Certain race and profession combinations may give the character multiples of the same ability."
Ex post facto.