Author Topic: New Players  (Read 4206 times)

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New Players
« on: November 06, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »
Just had to toss in that one of my new RM players is already looking at collecting her own set of books and is jotting ideas down for running her own game. She is really impressed with the system and prefers it over the 3rd edition D&D we are playing once in awhile (I am NOT the GM for that).

Has anyone else been recruiting new blood for RM? I have three this year!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New Players
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:14:36 PM »
Just had to toss in that one of my new RM players is already looking at collecting her own set of books and is jotting ideas down for running her own game. She is really impressed with the system and prefers it over the 3rd edition D&D we are playing once in awhile (I am NOT the GM for that).

Good for you and the new recruits. Sometimes it does take some time but IMO quite a few people do not understand the balance and good playing of RM.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »
I have always tried to get those that I currently game with (when I am currently gaming, that is  :-\) to eventually make the switch. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 12:18:36 AM »
Well as soon as i get my bloody books ( >:()  i can start GM:ing for 6 new RM players.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 08:24:33 AM »

Yes!
I have converted about 6 people!
Funny how when you introduce a new game to people, they suddenly start seeing the flaws, errors, and discrepancies of the game they played previously...
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 02:19:06 PM »
Maybe half a dozen new players this year?

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 09:08:44 PM »
Shweet! RM is the best system out there and we should be striving to show people the light. Poor, poor D&D......

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »
Poor, poor D&D......

Yes.
It is quite poor...

;)
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 12:54:51 AM »
We got one player so far, had a few other over the last couple years. Me & Abe are the stalwarts of 2 years. Hope to find some new ones soon. I might try running a few quick demo games of RMX at a local shop if I can. now if ICE can come up with all new rules n' charts for Black Powder weaponry for RMX/C for an upcoming EA I'd be really happy.Then I can convert Warhammer Fantasy to RMX/C and maybe get some WH Fantasy fans to take up RM.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:00:27 AM by Lucifer_Draconus »
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 03:17:22 PM »
Well, party wiped last week. Funny thing is they didn't like it but saw how it happened and were very excited about rolling new characters (even starting at first level again). I think much of that is from seeing how the game mechanics work and making new characters that would be more pleasing to them. We ended up with two warrior monks (even though there were no martial artists in the first game), a magician, a rogue, a warrior a mentalist and a healer. It should be interesting.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »
Well, party wiped last week. Funny thing is they didn't like it but saw how it happened and were very excited about rolling new characters (even starting at first level again). I think much of that is from seeing how the game mechanics work and making new characters that would be more pleasing to them. We ended up with two warrior monks (even though there were no martial artists in the first game), a magician, a rogue, a warrior a mentalist and a healer. It should be interesting.

That is a good mix IMO and they should have fun.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 02:25:35 AM »
Well I managed to get a full new group of 5 peeps to discover RM thanks to the new "improved" D&D 4th edition :smash:. I know atleast one of the players runs his own game with RMFRP now and haven't seen any hint of any D&D entering the gaming table these days.

Have now moved to new city and tried my luck in introducing RM to new players here but they seem to be more stubborn and harder to win over here. Luckily I still return to my old hometown often enough to get my dose of RM and we are currently on a freshly started campaign in freshly created world of my own design and currently running Stone of Seven Souls but with RMSS. That adventure showed to take much longer than expected and we are gonna run the 6th session this Sunday on the same adventure.

After that adventure I was planning on running Web of the Kobolds from Guild Adventurer #1 as a follow up on the kobold track from the Stone of Seven Souls.

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »
I've introduced my gaming group and added a few guys to it.

The group consists of:

Dave: Has played RM with me before. Got him into Runequest big time as well
Brandon: Big time D&D player. Introduced him to GURPS, Runequest and RM. He likes crunchy games
My wife Traci. She's a world of darkness/white wolf player, but she'll play all sorts of stuff. Not a big system learner
Jacob: Big big time D&D player. Interested in other systems
Dustin: hasnt played in 10+ years and never played Rolemaster

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »
At the other end of the spectrum..
Before I took over, the group was playing some AD&D 2.0 (1.9?), just to take a break from RM.

I started as a player in the group and having played that stuff for years, years ago, helped some of the guys with the "really weird rules". "What! My guy gets 1 spell! Per day?"

I kept having to explain to this bud, about his THACO. I couldn't believe he liked RM, if he didn't get this +/- basic numberline concept.

When we started in my RM campaign, everyone doled out the books and took the jobs they were accustomed to. The guy who never could grasp the THACO numberline, was of course.... an ace at reading weapon crit tables. :D

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »
Later this month I am going to meet up a new bunch of gamers. The one guy I have been in contact with mentioned how he and the others were interested in some of the games I mentioned I liked. Hopefully that means I might be able to get a few converts - though one of the games was Gamma World. (I guess Afterworlds is just going to have to hurry up!!!)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 12:08:27 PM »
Finding a good 'hook' to get players interested... that's the thing. ;)

(a bit off topic)
Gamma World would port pretty nice wouldn't it?
Take the feel of Shades of Darkness, add bits of the Amalgam and organic 'Constructs' (iirc) from Construct Companion and a smidgen of robots and weapons from SpaM:P, with some Firearms thrown in..

I'll bet Markc has some insights; I thought he ran a similar game.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »
 I have not run a game like that but I am planing on possibly running one or close to it. In fact it is a mixed SM and RM game with lots of different world options. So a PA world or even Gamma World would fit in there.
 If you would like some collaboration I might be able to throw some ideas your way but set up another thread or PM me.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 06:41:46 PM »
I am always looking for more input on things, so setting up another thread would be cool. What would be best is if Afterworlds was out - even a alpha or beta playtest would be nice.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 08:31:33 PM »
I am always looking for more input on things, so setting up another thread would be cool. What would be best is if Afterworlds was out - even a alpha or beta playtest would be nice.

Yes I agree a product to help your game along is great. I do not mind using stuff for other systems but again Afterworlds is for HARP so it should be easy to convert to RM or SM or whatever you want to play.

IMO starting a thread under the worlds section would be good or if you want to keep it secret then maybe a section set up on another site for that intent.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Shottglazz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Our Rolemaster Group
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 08:38:50 AM »
Managed to introduce 4 new players in the last 2 years...our current group is:

Mid-40's: extensive RPG experience, writes for Mongoose Games, played RM for about 8 months
Mid-40's: extensive RPG experience, has played RM with me for about 15yrs
Mid-30's: (me) extensive RPG experience, played RM for about 20yrs
Mid-20's: experience with 3.5 and 4e D&D, played RM for about 2yrs now
Late teens: RPG player for about 5 years (my stepson), loves RM
Mid-teens: extensive exposure to RPG's - minimal experience playing (#1's son), played RM for about 2 months

Occasionally:
Mid-30's: extensive AD&D/D&D experience, enjoys RM but D&D is his game of choice played RM for about 2yrs
Shottglazz

Take my love, take my land, Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free - you can't take the sky from me.