Author Topic: question about superior quality items  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Emaughan

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: question about superior quality items
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 05:44:16 PM »
Better yet, add a light bolt (laser beam) to the shark tooth dagger and make plus +15 vs. secret agents.

(No wonder I had to beg for a laugh point.)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
This is how elves (who cannot touch cold iron) can still have +15 longswords ... they may be made of a copper alloy - but it has been worked by a master smith and has an equivalent tensile strength to high steel

I have always liked this version of Fey races. It just makes sense. :)
And what a counter to everything else they get.
"So, you wanna play an Elf, huh..."
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 09:11:39 PM »
I recall a PC in a game where this was true, playing an elf, slowly backing into a corner as iron chain mail clad soldiers started gathering in a courtyard. . . . .he was terrified he'd get caught in the crush and burned.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 09:25:22 PM »
Mythus, DJ did a pretty good job of it!

So, really. Why aren't they treated like magic bows and arrows?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 03:40:49 AM »
This is how elves (who cannot touch cold iron) can still have +15 longswords ... they may be made of a copper alloy - but it has been worked by a master smith and has an equivalent tensile strength to high steel

I think it is rubbish and fail to see any matter of logical explanation as to how one of the mightiest race of crafters would be unable to touch cold Iron.
The only fairy race that has a problem with ferrous items I can recall is the North eastern Emer dryad/elven race called Lennai from Shadow World.

Also please notice that cold iron is a term that covers the process of crafting iron into items without the use of heat, which means that every single chainmail you will run into, not crafted by an expert cold crafter, will not figure as cold iron even if it is made from iron and is quite cold at the moment.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 04:46:42 PM »
Nders,
I see what you mean; it is not a popular trope of many RPGs.
While not being cannon, many myths, legends and folklore are ripe with these ideas; IIRC.

Nailing horseshoes above doorways to prevent spirits/fays/goblins is considered lucky.
Many cemeteries have iron fences... maybe to keep things in..

When other cultures' myths trickled into society, different items affected these "new" creatures. Silver for werewolves and even vampires.

Often, holy symbols and "certain books" I believe came later. If you find it hard to conquer a people, rewrite their pagan ways to match your own ideas..
Easter/Ishtar, Halloween/All Hallows Eve..

Even creatures hit by magic weapons seem to have a bit of the old left in for good measure. :)