Author Topic: names for a new campaign setting  (Read 3213 times)

Offline kreider204

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
names for a new campaign setting
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:26:52 PM »
So, I'm in the midst of creating my own HARP campaign.  I have very clear ideas about the sort of world I want - in many ways, it's fairly classic (some might even say "generic" . . . ). 

The only tough part: coming up with names for the different regions, countries, cities, languages, etc.  Everything I come up with sounds like a 12 year old's rip-off of Tolkein . . .

Anyone here come up with their own campaings, and if so, how did you invent names?  Were there any sources you used for inspiration?  Or did you just plain steal from real-world sources? 

Any advice?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: names for a new campaign setting
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:31:38 PM »
I, too, find that the hardest part of the process so I unashamedly steal, steal, steal!!

Other than that, you can take known words and give them a scramble to come up with new words. Of course, this won't help much if you are trying to get something that sounds like a language - like similar phonetics and stuff.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline kreider204

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:56:01 PM »
Ya, I've been trying the scramble approach, but I'm not too good at it, as it tends to have goofy-sounding results.   ;D

Offline Mormegil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:59:02 PM »
I, too, find that the hardest part of the process so I unashamedly steal, steal, steal!!

Count this as another vote for theft.

Offline John Duffield

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Life often teaches what we don't want to learn
    • Ennyn
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 12:06:18 AM »
It is the hardest thing to do.  I personally try to have, for each race, some idea of how the language sounds - gutteral, soft, sing song, flowing, sibiliant - and then pick words that match that.

Add to that aspects like use of double vowels, double costants and then some standard words for things like towns, mountains, rivers and forests and you start to get a fairly good set of words for regional areas and names.
My website : Ennyn

Offline kreider204

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:23:50 AM »
It is the hardest thing to do.  I personally try to have, for each race, some idea of how the language sounds - gutteral, soft, sing song, flowing, sibiliant - and then pick words that match that.

Add to that aspects like use of double vowels, double costants and then some standard words for things like towns, mountains, rivers and forests and you start to get a fairly good set of words for regional areas and names.

Very interesting, thank you!

I'm trying to break down some of the standard racial cliches, so I'm building languages around regions instead of races (the races are fully intergrated in this setting), but that works regardless.

Thanks again!

Offline Karizma

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:24:56 AM »
I am luckily blessed with the ability to name.  On-the-spot?  No.  But when I world-build, I sit down, and just spout a bunch of very generic fantasy-names.  I go through and throw away the ones that could be easily mocked: "Dum?d (DOO-mehd) is Doomed!"  But instead of making a word and plugging it, I come up with a slew of maybe five names at once, and pick and choose from those.  If NONE of them are "good", I do five more.  Remember that names aren't usually "chosen" but more or less "born".  So a bad name isn't uncreative, but rather unfortunate for the poor sods who happen to live there ;)

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 12:39:32 AM »
Get Everchanging book of names.  Assign all the places real-world cultures, then generate the names and throw out all the stupid ones.  This way all your cultures have unique sounds.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 06:45:04 AM »
With the power of the internet, you can find lots of dead languages (or ones that aren't quite dead) online to use for your languages.

For my Marth setting, I combined lots of Native American words, with name generation websites, and then I threw my own made up words in the mix.

For me, it helped to have a list of words to use while naming things such as rivers, kingdoms, towns, cities, races, etc.

When you choose a language that was once spoken, it generally has a similar sound to it, so it sounds more real (well, it actually was real so that helps, hehe).

http://www.wordgumbo.com/index.htm

I used that site a lot while making up stuff for my world building project.

Enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:28:10 AM »
Yeah... name generators help me out with place names as well as NPC names...
They can certainly help!
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline kreider204

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 09:29:16 AM »
Name generators, hmm, interesting.
I studied a bit of Latin and Greek, but I was afraid it'd be too cliche to just steal words from them, but mixing them up is a good idea.
Great thoughts, thanks!

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »
Go here.  It has male and female names from all over the world.  Switch a few letters arounds, add a vowel or two and boom; instant name that doesn't sound stupid.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline kreider204

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 12:04:45 PM »
Neat link, thanks!

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 12:44:24 AM »
Hi,

I created my own campaign world based upon the flavour text for cyradon (before it was even called cyradon!).
I always wanted to use a world where the name "Westron" was used, but didnt want to us eit exactly. So I created the nations of Northron and Southron. Northon = bad, southron = good. Both contain a mix of races and people, so you can have human with lesser halfing and gryx if you want...

I use Everchanging book of Names (EBoN) to generate random names and I used them for my town names - Castlebottom Keep, Barrowdown, etc... Gave the world that "True fantasy" I was wanting....

The world I called Amylos,  - I dont know why,......
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline madwizard1962

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 07:13:59 AM »
Be original, be different, Just use and alpha-numeric naming sceam. Country A bigest city is A1, next bigest is A2 etc... :P

Offline Ido Tamir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 08:01:43 AM »
I just threw the ball into the players ground - told them to come up with a background that contains all the names of towns they know, all the kingdoms they visited..

Most of the time I get the "Huh?" response, but then they understand what I just gave them and I get tons of info..

The best part is that I actually USE it, then they go wild!

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 06:23:41 PM »
I was in a campaign where each of us did a little worldbuilding with our character backgrounds.  The GM started with a generic map, and then fleshed it out as the campaign went along with our player's choices literally worldbuilding as we went.  It was fun.
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg