Author Topic: Character Creation Guidelines v1  (Read 6952 times)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Character Creation Guidelines v1
« on: October 30, 2008, 06:18:24 PM »
For those who do not frequent the front page of the ICE website very often, among the items added today, we have started a "Character of the Week" contest. This is for any of our systems. And for most of them, it is pretty straight-forward.

However, for RMX/C, with so many options available, it is sometimes difficult to know what options to use, or are in use or are wanted for use. Therefore, ICE decided to create a set of RMX/C Character Creation Guidelines. The purpose of these guidelines is two-fold.

1) Authors writing adventures for ICE (or folks taking part in the Character of the Week deal) will have a specific set of guidelines to let them know what chargen rules we want them to use. This way, we will know that the authors are all using the same set of rules/options in creating characters for modules and adventures.

2) GMs will be able to easily know what rules we used for Chargen, and thus be able to more easily adapt the NPCs and Characters to their campaigns.

Before you ask, products made using these guidelines would include a line in the credits telling what version was used. As we produce more material for RMX/C, we will occasionally update these guidelines, and each update will have its own unique version number.

And yes, that also means that we would be keeping copies of all versions available for download (once we revamp the main website, they will get their own page for this) since we won't be going back to redo older modules with redone characters every time we update the guide.

Anyways... The idea here is, since we posted the Guidelines on the main page, I figured I would post them here as well, and then let you guys comment on them. We won't be changing them until we update them at some point in the future. However, if you spot a typo, those I will want to fix, and if you have any comments, or questions, I will try to answer them.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Character Creation Guidelines v1
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:46:41 PM »
I'm glad you started this thread.  I have two questions:

1)  Can you please explain the "Stat Gain" rules on page 2?  The part about increasing potential stats is new to me.

2)  What is the difference between a Ranger (Revised) and the Champion of a nature deity?
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:43:50 PM »
1)  Can you please explain the "Stat Gain" rules on page 2?  The part about increasing potential stats is new to me.

Okay, say you have a stat of 80 with a potential of 92. That is a difference of 12 points. So, when you go up a level, you can select that stat to increase and according to the table, you get to increase it by 9 points (raising it to an 89 with a potential of 92).

Eventually, the temp stat will equal the potential. Once that happens, the next time that the character can raise that stat (as no stat may be increased two levels in a row), they can raise the potential by 1. Thus, a 92 temp/92 pot becomes a 92 temp/93 pot. Then two levels later, the player can raise that 92 to a 93, etc...

The max limit for any stat is 102.

2)  What is the difference between a Ranger (Revised) and the Champion of a nature deity?

Mechanically -- The Ranger has better costs for outdoor skills, and an entirely different Folio of spells to choose his base lists from. The Champion is much more restricted in his choice of spell lists.

Conceptually -- The Champion is a Warrior for the deity, while the Ranger is more of an advocate or caretaker of nature

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:37:08 AM »
The part about increasing potential stats is new to me.

Okay, I missed answering this part before, and dutch sent me a PM about it, and I decided to repeat my answer here.

In one of the Rolemaster Companions, there was an option that allowed you to roll for a stat increase if your stat was maxed out. I had liked that option, it was simple and it allowed for going beyond initial limits.

When working out to allow stat increases for NPCs and such, I wanted to implement something similar, thus, once a stat is maxed out, you can select that stat and have it's Potential increase.

Now to dash a little cold water on those thinking to use this rule to max his stats out to 102 in everything.  ;D  (this is based on using the stat arrays given in the CCG)

It would take 292 level increases (i.e. the character would be level 293) before every stat could be maxed out to 102.

It would take 28 level increases to have all stats maxed out to their potentials.

It would take 4 level increases (i.e. the character would be 5th level) before his two Prime Requisite stats were maxed to their potential, and another 28 level increases to raise those two stats to 102 (don't forget the same stat may never be raised two levels in a row).

It would take 3 level increases (6 levels actually when figuring that you can do an increase on a given stat every other level)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 02:19:53 AM »
Holy cow, that was a mouthful to chew.
It does make me want to go back an re-read some sections in the books.
You don't suppose you can add a page reference as to where you found the optional rules applied? Or have you just figured them out rom the top of your head?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:39:18 AM »
Holy cow, that was a mouthful to chew.
It does make me want to go back an re-read some sections in the books.
You don't suppose you can add a page reference as to where you found the optional rules applied? Or have you just figured them out rom the top of your head?

Some of the options used are from the books, some from the EAs, others are not in the books at all, but are derived from the books.

For example:

Alternative Body Development -- RMX
Base PP - from Spell Law - Option 4
Static DP per level -- not a listed option in any product, but a common "house rule"
Evil Spell Lists -- option from Spell Law, but altered slightly
etc....

I'll see about looking up the Options and perhaps adding a bibliography of their sources to the end.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 07:43:04 AM »
I guess I'm just slightly damaged...
I'm used to quote my sources when I publish something and this habit often spill over onto my hobbies as well.
Once an academic always an academic...

Many of the options I liked so it wasn't bad or anything.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:17:17 AM »
 ;D

I am also trying to get somebody to create us a spreadsheet that utilizes these rules.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:31:23 PM »

In one of the Rolemaster Companions, there was an option that allowed you to roll for a stat increase if your stat was maxed out. I had liked that option, it was simple and it allowed for going beyond initial limits.

That would be Rolemaster Companion IV, Section 5.1.  (I prefer the optional rule which states "Potential increases for Prime Requisite stats only", but that's just me.)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »

That would be Rolemaster Companion IV, Section 5.1.  (I prefer the optional rule which states "Potential increases for Prime Requisite stats only", but that's just me.)

Even with the rules in the CCG, it takes 32 level increases to max out and then increase to 102 the 2 prime requisites.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:27:43 PM by Rasyr »

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »
So, the new RMC lets a person raise his POTENTIAL above it's max? In RM2, this was defined as the genetic maximum for that character. No longer? Everyone will eventually have 102 stats?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 04:16:18 PM »
So, the new RMC lets a person raise his POTENTIAL above it's max? In RM2, this was defined as the genetic maximum for that character. No longer? Everyone will eventually have 102 stats?

The thing to remember is that the CCG is primarily for the creation of official NPCs and characters for other ICE products (with the secondary purpose of allowing GMs to adjust said characters/NPCs to the rules that they are using in their own campaigns).

The CCG also limits stats to a fixed array of stats. These stats may be placed where the creator of the character wants, within limits. This, however, removes variability that might be found using the core rules.

The increase of stat potentials works as a bit of a balance. This allows for greater variability in stats than is possible otherwise, while still maintaining a relatively balanced acquisition method. This is tempered also by only allowing 1 stat to be raised each level (and never the same stat on successive levels).

If a GM is using these guidelines and not using the arrays, then I would not recommend that they allow increasing potentials.

And don't forget, using the rules in the CCG, no character will have a stat of 102 before they reach 33rd level.

Offline Aotrs Commander

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 07:50:32 AM »

As written in the book (as far as I can tell), no, it does not. Core RM2 and core RMC are both the same in that neither allows you to raise a potential.

RoCo IV, as has been mentioned, gave you optional rules such that a roll of 96+ on a stat that had reached it's potential increased the potential. (It can eventually cause problems, says he who has had to boost the stats of some party members because others reached 104-105 in more than one stat at level 10-12..!)

Rasyr's rules for the character creation guidelines are likewise technically official house or optional rules.

(I agree on the idea, mind and you really do need a baseline set of official house rules anyway when dealing with something as variable as Rolemaster.)

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »
Got to love that stat gain table. I had a magician who for three levels running rolled a 04 on the empathy stat gain roll resulting in the characters prime magical stat dropping from 90 to 66 in 3 levels. Kind of made him feel he should have stayed at home in bed!
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline Thorbrin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »
First off I would like to thank you for posting these guidlines on your site. I have been wondering when we would get some sort of "guidlines".
One thing I noticed though, I didnt see anything about Background Options. Can we use these with our characters in proposed scenarios?
Thanks for your time..happy gaming folks!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »
First off I would like to thank you for posting these guidlines on your site. I have been wondering when we would get some sort of "guidlines".
One thing I noticed though, I didnt see anything about Background Options. Can we use these with our characters in proposed scenarios?
Thanks for your time..happy gaming folks!

Sorry, but no. If we did not include an option in the guidelines, then please don't use it in the creation of proposals or final products utilizing the RMC rules.

That is the whole purpose of the Guidelines, to let folks know exactly what ICE is using in the creation of the rules (it also serves as a tool for authors).

Offline kreider204

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 07:03:07 PM »
OK, I understand that the CCG are for NPCs and characters appearing in adventures and such, but it seems as though it would result in NPC spell users significantly more powerful than similarly leveled PCs playing through the adventure.  E.g., the NPC spell users will have far more power points and probably more spells to choose from than PC spell users, especially at lower levels (e.g., a 1st level NPC spell user will have >10 power points, vs. the 1-3 power points that the 1st level PC will have). 

And in general, the NPCs will probably have better stats using the suggested stat array than the typical PC with randomly generated stats.

Doesn't that unbalance things a bit?  Won't PCs get their butts kicked?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »
One of the main reason for posting those rules is so that GMs can adjust NPCs according to the game rules that HE uses. The posting of those rules give a specificĂ‚  reference point from which he can make changes or deviate as he likes.

Additionally, the CCG is based mainly on RMX, moreso than general RMC. And in RMX, PCs get just as many Power Points.Ă‚  ;D

Rmember, RMC is a toolkit more than anything else. The CCG (and RMX) are an implementation of that toolkit.

Offline kreider204

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 07:57:31 PM »
One of the main reason for posting those rules is so that GMs can adjust NPCs according to the game rules that HE uses.

AH, ok, I don't think I quite groked that from the original posting.

Boy, the flexibility of the rules is one of the best things about RMC, but it also has a dark side.  Every GM can have very different rules -- so characters created under one GM and then brought to a session run by another GM either can't be used, or they have to be significantly modified before the game.  That can get touchy when you're dealing with a player's favorite PC . . .

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »
Boy, the flexibility of the rules is one of the best things about RMC, but it also has a dark side.  Every GM can have very different rules -- so characters created under one GM and then brought to a session run by another GM either can't be used, or they have to be significantly modified before the game.  That can get touchy when you're dealing with a player's favorite PC . . .

Hence the reason for providing a consistent ruleset for NPCs in products, and then post that ruleset so that authors know HOW we want them made, and GMs know how they were made so that they can adjust them to their campaigns.  ;D