Author Topic: Random Magic Staff Thought...  (Read 6985 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Random Magic Staff Thought...
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 11:43:05 AM »
(Likely a 6' metal pole would weigh as much or less than a 2HD sword)

Rasyr, any chance you could go back and bold your blue above, as as it's hard to distinguish blue from black. In bold it's easier to see the difference between blue and black. As it is, I didn't notice until you mentioned that part of your previous post was in blue.

Edit: Actually, looking at it, the "Navy" color is just too close to black regardless. . .

Blue Navy Black

Blue Navy Black

the actual "Blue" is more apparently not black.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 11:56:30 AM »
Rasyr, any chance you could go back and bold your blue above, as as it's hard to distinguish blue from black.

There, I went back and put it in an official ruling box.  :D

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
Much easier to see and distinguish from the surrounding text, thanks.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 01:03:45 PM »
The recent decision overrides that opinion.  According to the post the staff could be made completly out of metal. Which would weigh about 30lbs for a 6' staff (apx)

30 lbs? How do you arrive at that figure? A metal staff would be thinner than a wooden one. 30 lbs sounds a bit excessive (I figure about 10 lbs is more likely).

Barbell.  

It has a comfortable dimension to hold onto.  You could go thinner to reduce weight but it becomes more difficult to grasp, (particularly for those like me who have ham hands).  But sure you could go lighter or wrap some leather around it; you could also use lighter material.  Iron has been used in pervious examples.  I personally am starting to like the ruling; I am envisioning gold (actual gold) with rams horns and some skulls. But yes, lots could be done to change the weight. On this note.  A wooden staff, the traditional old wizard one, has a damage table.  Suppose you triple the weight, would it do more damage than its lighter material staff?

Say you use a material with a bonus, would that bonus add to the staffs magical bonus, resulting in overall more damage?
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 01:25:45 PM »
possibly... in the RMC Character Law, in the Equipment chapter there are tables for bonuses from materials and from heavier designs. I am not sure where in RMFRP those can be found, but there are similar ones in Treasure Companion.

And it doesn't actually result in more damage, just a bonus to OB.

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 01:49:09 PM »
possibly... in the RMC Character Law, in the Equipment chapter there are tables for bonuses from materials and from heavier designs. I am not sure where in RMFRP those can be found, but there are similar ones in Treasure Companion.

And it doesn't actually result in more damage, just a bonus to OB.
Yes Treasure Companion is where I was getting this from.  I am thinking Black alloy +20 material would be suitable but should the full +20 be applied or should an average of the material bonus and the magical bonus, which will increase over time be taken?  I suggest adding the two because at high levels your staff will not actualy be as effective as a standard material staff if an average is taken.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 02:25:19 PM »
That is a decision that should be up to your GM and how he handles multiple magical bonuses....

Note: Black Alloy is a non-magical material, so the bonus it provides is not magical, and IIRC, does not normally stack with magical bonuses (i.e. you can use the non-magical bonus or the magical bonus, not both, IIRC).

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2009, 02:29:03 PM »
That is a decision that should be up to your GM and how he handles multiple magical bonuses....

Note: Black Alloy is a non-magical material, so the bonus it provides is not magical, and IIRC, does not normally stack with magical bonuses (i.e. you can use the non-magical bonus or the magical bonus, not both, IIRC).

On that note I'm starting a new thread.