Author Topic: Cyradon RMC?  (Read 24056 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Cyradon RMC?
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2009, 04:52:06 PM »
Anyone (other than Terry obviously) who wishes to work on Shadow World needs to talk to me first.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »
Something that covered a relatively small, self-contained area (not an entire continent) that could be expanded with additional products on down the line (i.e. "Region books" that gave racial info along with other information related to that particular area).

This is already under development in the series of Player Guides and is discussed in the sticky in the SW forum called "Shadow World Player Guide":
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=7380.0

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2009, 07:44:50 AM »
This is already under development in the series of Player Guides and is discussed in the sticky in the SW forum called "Shadow World Player Guide":
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=7380.0

Very Cool! (I don't read every thread on the forums... hehe)  :D

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2009, 04:29:56 PM »
Anything new on the RMC/Cyradon progress ?
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »
Don't know if I am allowed to say anything specific.... but you are gonna love it!!!
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
If you haven't guessed, RWW is one of the playtesters

Anything new on the RMC/Cyradon progress ?

The manuscript is about ready to be turned in to my boss (once I finish my editorial pass -- still working on that, but only in small corrections and changes due to last minute comments from the playtesters.

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2009, 02:30:08 PM »
Sweet ... now needs to save $$$ for the book.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »
Since I personally, feel that for a while there, forum staff were dominating the poll thread, I have decided to not post any further in the poll. However, if there is a post that asks a question or that needs a response, I can and will quote the relevant portions and answer the post over in this thread. Like so...

Can I get 1 module per month just for Cyradon, dual-stated for HARP and this version/implementation/whatever?   

Once RM Cyradon is released, then all Cyradon modules will stats for both HARP and for RM Cyradon. Generic modules will not have RM Cyradon stats, but regular RM stats.

As for the "1 module per month" issue, that depends upon whether or not we can get authors to write enough modules to release them with that frequency.  ;D

P.S. I had lunch with a new-to-RM (DND player, not 4e) friend and his opinion is that if he has to learn a new set of rules for combat (for example) then it is different version.  I told him to register and post himself but I don't see that happening.

First thing to understand -- RM Cyradon does not include any new rules for combat. The rules for combat are still essentially the same as in RMX. The tables work in the exact same way as the RMX combat tables. Some of the information regarding the weapons is a little more codified, but combat is the same.

RMX has 4 armor types, but not in any sort of flexible format (each armor is a specific AT from Arms Law). RM Cyradon has 5 armor types, but in a slightly more flexible format (though not as flexible as the armor rules from Combat Companion).

However, because the armor rules are more flexible, there is no direct correspondence with the ATs from Arms Law. See below for more info...  ;D

Many thanks for the previews! Whilst I'll likely reserve judgement on the armour rules (love my Arms Law too much),

And if you prefer Arms Law, all you have to do is to offer the core armors instead of the way that RMC Cyradon does it. And then use Arms Law. Just remember, it is armor AND combat tables.

I was actually in error when I made the comment (in blue) I am quoting just above.

Please keep in mind that at the time that I said that, I was still eye-ball deep in working on the manuscript, so when I revamped the armor rules for RM Cyradon, I did not and was not looking at them in regards to Arms Law, so I gave the simplest answer (and then went back to work on the manuscript).

Well, the manuscript is complete, and I am beginning work on Express Additions #14, and for it, I decided to present the flexible armor rules and the combat tables from RM Cyradon, but with the flavor text being written more generically (i.e. removing the Gryphon Armor, and the Cyradon weapons).

As I was looking at the tables for the armor rules, I had a Homer moment (i.e. I smacked my forehead and hollered "Doh!").

In short, I will be able to include a table that gives the Arms Law ATs and what their equivalent would be using the Flexible Armor rules (i.e. what combo of base armor and additional pieces), and thus, you could easily change the character's armors from Soft Leather, Reinforced Leather, Chain, Scale, or Plate to the most fitting AT from Arms Law with a minimum of fuss, and thus be able to use Arms Law with the Flexible armor.

Offline AbleKain

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2009, 11:33:59 AM »
In short, I will be able to include a table that gives the Arms Law ATs and what their equivalent would be using the Flexible Armor rules (i.e. what combo of base armor and additional pieces), and thus, you could easily change the character's armors from Soft Leather, Reinforced Leather, Chain, Scale, or Plate to the most fitting AT from Arms Law with a minimum of fuss, and thus be able to use Arms Law with the Flexible armor.

Aaah....good to hear. I bought RMC (I haven't got it yet :) ) because I want the mastodon. I wan't optional rules till my eyes bleed, I wan't so many tables that my head falls off. I don't want any diet light crap.....I want it all and I REALLY want Cyradon to work with those rules.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »
However, because the armor rules are more flexible, there is no direct correspondence with the ATs from Arms Law. See below for more info...  ;D

Many thanks for the previews! Whilst I'll likely reserve judgement on the armour rules (love my Arms Law too much),

And if you prefer Arms Law, all you have to do is to offer the core armors instead of the way that RMC Cyradon does it. And then use Arms Law. Just remember, it is armor AND combat tables.

I was actually in error when I made the comment (in blue) I am quoting just above.

Please keep in mind that at the time that I said that, I was still eye-ball deep in working on the manuscript, so when I revamped the armor rules for RM Cyradon, I did not and was not looking at them in regards to Arms Law, so I gave the simplest answer (and then went back to work on the manuscript).

Well, the manuscript is complete, and I am beginning work on Express Additions #14, and for it, I decided to present the flexible armor rules and the combat tables from RM Cyradon, but with the flavor text being written more generically (i.e. removing the Gryphon Armor, and the Cyradon weapons).

As I was looking at the tables for the armor rules, I had a Homer moment (i.e. I smacked my forehead and hollered "Doh!").

This was the point I'd been trying to make for a while, glad to see I'm not crazy. . . . .

Perhaps, having had a "Doh" moment here on the armor, you might want to re-check the other comments made to see if there were any other miscommunications. . .

Like, I seem to recall saying "Why not Cyradon World info + RMX - non cyradon elements like orcs + cyradon specific elements like Gryphon PCs" to get a cleanly compatable RMX version. . .and got a reply that seemed to imply I was calling for all the rules to be removed from the book. (Though perhaps you were replying to someone else.)

I can see a place for no rules, but if you're going to go with a "One book solution" I'm not seeing why not RMX rules, instead of something variant in elements like the afformentioned number of attack table columns.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »
One person had suggested removing everything that was also in RMX or in RMC, which would have equated into changing this from a stand-alone game, to a setting that requires other products (which would not as salable to new customers as a stand-alone game would be).

Cyradon World info + RMX - non cyradon elements like orcs + cyradon specific elements like Gryphon PCs

This is essentially what was done. Of course, the "+ Cyradon specific elements" was larger than any other stuff. It required adding Training Packages, Cultures, the Cyradon specific races (don't forget the HARP Cyradon races are not identical to the Cyradon races either), Gifts (i.e. talents), etc. The only thing that isn't an addition, but an actual change, is the attack tables and the armor rules. There are some flavor reasons for the changes, some aesthetic reasons for the changes, and even some reasons that I cannot go into for the changes.

RMX (and the Character Creation Guide pdf -- which is itself based on RMX) was the starting point (the only real difference between the two things was the inclusion of stat potentials, and  two extra skills (in including the skills from the EAs).

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2009, 01:24:47 PM »
I dunno, it sounds like a lot more than merely culling orcs to add gryphons. . .like I'm still lost as to the logic of why add in another column to the attack tables . . . .the RMX tables are off the cuff compatable with AL, requiring a conversion table to do it sounds like a PITA to not much benefit.

Are these tables constructed like the CC tables?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »
As for the "1 module per month" issue, that depends upon whether or not we can get authors to write enough modules to release them with that frequency. 

I can dream, can't I?  :)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
I dunno, it sounds like a lot more than merely culling orcs to add gryphons. . .like I'm still lost as to the logic of why add in another column to the attack tables . . . .the RMX tables are off the cuff compatable with AL, requiring a conversion table to do it sounds like a PITA to not much benefit.

As I said before, there are some reasons that I cannot go into for the change, in addition to the reasons I have mentioned previously.

Are these tables constructed like the CC tables?

See the attachment below (note: the attack tables have the exact same names, and there are the same number of tables as are in RMX).

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »
As for the "1 module per month" issue, that depends upon whether or not we can get authors to write enough modules to release them with that frequency. 

I can dream, can't I?  :)
Dreaming is good!

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2009, 02:49:55 AM »
I'd love to see those charts in a separate booklet (like the one inside RMFRP master screen), so that I won't wear down the manual by using them!  ;D
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2009, 07:35:48 AM »
I'd love to see those charts in a separate booklet (like the one inside RMFRP master screen), so that I won't wear down the manual by using them!  ;D

The combat tables? Actually, I am planning on releasing them in an issue of Express Additions - the next issue, actually....

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »
That would work, too. thanks  ;)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
These should be available next week sometime.

Offline Emaughan

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2009, 01:37:38 PM »
I love the combat companion rules for - Armor by the Piece - great fix to one of the few things I feel are broken in RM.  I really, really, hope that the above table is not the direction for a new system.  Your response to Lord Miller:

As I said before, there are some reasons that I cannot go into for the change, in addition to the reasons I have mentioned previously.

Makes me wonder if this will be the future default table for a new RM.  It is not horrible, but the tables in CC are preferable IMHO.  The only thing that would make them cooler is having actual A-E crit tables for more variety.