Author Topic: Your current RMSS campaign...  (Read 15890 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Your current RMSS campaign...
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
Very cool I will definately be checking that out.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Deepfire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blödmannsgehilfe and Mad RPG Collector
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2009, 03:31:31 PM »
 You can preorder it for a good price at drivethru :)

My players - d20 veterans - are a bit cautious about the RMFRP Idea - but they are very interested in the background, so I guess this should not be a problem. :-)
Currently DMing:
13th Age - Citystate of the Invincible Overlord
Fear Itself - Cthulhu adventures
Traveller - Tripwire
Rolemaster – Rise of the Runelords

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2009, 10:57:39 PM »
I did.  :D
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2009, 04:12:39 PM »
We're starting a new campaign soon... and even before chargen is complete, there are difficulties (of course).

In whatever kind of game they were used to, "Lofty" was allowed as Force... grumble, grumble...
The crazy thing is, these cats "know" the rules better than I do and still junk like this was allowed.
About everyone of them has GM'd... I know, crazy. Let the beatings commence! :)

My world is a RMFRP'd version of Greyhawk (old D&D).  :) Standard races allowed (no Troll pc's haha.. yet) but some of the Race stat mods have been tweaked to represent a not so "that other game basis".

No PP multipliers.... Oh, the crying of babies is likely still going on among e-mails somewhere.

Daily Adders will be fixed to a specific spell; although they can pick them (which I thought was generous..).

Casters cast at Rank and not level. Also, they must buy per level increases for spells (1pp/increase). Nothing free there.

Allowing multiple TP's to be purchased until we actually begin at 3rd level, hey it's their points.

A flat 100 DP per level so stats don't matter as much as "just playing; Fool!"
One of the major sticking points for one of the guys was
Reasoning (Memory) are Essence Realm stats, SD (Presence) for Mentalism and Channeling is still Intuition.
This cat got so flustered that another player actually turned to him and said "Bend!" As in "let's just try it out".
So, the three guys I've got so far.... all want to play Sorcerers.

At least 2 Evil Demi-Powers walk the earth and one is land grabbing as much possible.. Iuz the Evil, demon type minor deity has roads of skulls alight with watch towers of human fat... lots of demons and nasty, sharp teeth.
Wastri, a Toad-human diety (maybe), is trying to cleanse the world of impure non-humans. Toad-like warrior monks are his Priests for the most part. Wastri isn't into territory, just a mission of bigotry and is fairly contained to the swamps.

Other goodly aligned dieties were involved in past history, but scholars argue that some sort of que is followed by divine powers.  Each can have a minor role in events of the world, providing Channeling and such, but generally one side of the Light/Dark spectrum is allowed at one time. When one power gets too powerful, there is a "battle" by proxies to determine who will reign until the next event. Otherwise, they would likely destroy the planet. If they have no followers on this world... it's hard to win an election. ;D   

That's a start anyways.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2009, 10:25:56 PM »
Casters cast at Rank and not level. Also, they must buy per level increases for spells (1pp/increase). Nothing free there.

What do you mean they must "buy the per level increase"?

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2009, 02:35:29 AM »
What do you mean they must "buy the per level increase"?

No other profession receives a per level increase like spell casters. IMHO, they have enough advantages.
If a spell states "1 target/lvl" or 10 ft/level", "5 lbs/ lvl", whatever it is, the caster must spend 1PP for each "per lvl" increase. This can be purchased up to their rank, as level.
So, a 5th level Magician with 15 ranks in a list, casts that list as a 15th lvl caster. (Any spell that gives area, duration, range... whatever, that increases per lvl, is "paid for" with 1 PP/lvl.)

Now, you're 5th lvl and casting 15th lvl spells (on that list!)... with only 2-3 rounds of prep! (0 rnds =-55, 1 rnd = -35, 2 rnds =0..)
I think that's pretty awesome.. but do you have enough PP to make it really tough?

This may seem powerful, but consider that nearly every spell requires additional PP to get a really big effect. Since I've also eliminated PP Multipliers (and replaced them with PP Adders +5 to +15/day)... it seems to balance out.

Conversely, the same Magician with 15 ranks in one list could have 2 in another... That means they cast spells up to 2nd level and can "power" them up to second lvl, on that List. "Level" doesn't carry over from one to another just like knowledge of mace doesn't carry over to spear.

Saving Throws/Resistance Rolls are made by Character Level, like always.... but, If you can cast the List you're trying to resist, you can use your Ranks in that List for "Level". This is from familiarity with the list and those spells. Familiarity for resistance has a precedent by bonuses for Own Realm..Own List etc.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline thirqual

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2010, 05:21:23 AM »
SETTING Home-created, lovingly tended (and of course getting thoroughly mashed by my players). The world is in the turmoils caused by several highly magical civilizations having smashed against each other into oblivion in the past, savages invasions from various species, and cult and religions growing and waning, etc. The setting is highly volatile, ruins and remnants of previous cultures abound, large portions are unsettled.

I have the very great pleasure to have players who make me to create continuously to satisfy their curiosity about everything and with memories good enough to  do it consistently.

TYPE OF CAMPAIGN Long adventures, with deep consequences on what happens on regional scales (at least).  They love to dungeon-crawl, but also intricate plots, horror elements. The players tend to surprise me with out-of-the-box solutions, despite being, for most of them, young to roleplaying.

CHARACTERS

3 groups all  having their own adventures in various places, at the same period (I will be hard-pressed to manage simultaneity should they decide to go into the same area, but it would be very interesting).

Group 1 level~9
-Sigmund Fraisgardon, an half-elf sorceror with an affinity for mind and soul affecting spells (played by a psychology major), searching fun and magical power.
- Reinhart, an elf cleric of Paz-An, god of light, supposed to add to the influence of his religion in a old area of Sun-worshipper. The healer of the group, with some nasty surprises.
- Angus  Limbro, a high man warrior who was a mercenary before pledging to defend small villages around his homelands from 'monsters and demons alike'. Currently lacking an arm after thinking it was okay never to parry (at all)
- Kormac, a mixed man ranger, played as a rough and rather brutish character and got more interesting in time. His wide arrays of skills and spells makes him very versatile.
- Alizarine de Balémon, a mixed women magent, who fled her noble parents at 18 because of her powers (linked to demons and evil in their religion) and is part of the underworld of her home city. Very good at influence skills and, lets say the sneakier parts of the trade.

RULESET

RMSS with essence, mentalism, channeling companions, talent law, SOHK. I use arcane comp and fire and ice to create some NPCs. No MAC because my players were not interested. Trying to put some idea from the RM2 arms companion in there too, along with some spell lists from RM2.

lordmalachdrim

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2010, 10:56:42 PM »
Not current yet but working on getting one together.

Setting: Warhammer Fantasy (probably closer to 1st ed wrfp's setting then 2nd)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2010, 07:36:46 AM »
Is there an "current character" thread? Would love to see how you guys design your charcaters..
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline ToM

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Would-be barbarian
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »
Not current yet but working on getting one together.

Setting: Warhammer Fantasy (probably closer to 1st ed wrfp's setting then 2nd)
Ah, RM + WHFRP! Sweet, great memories!
I would like soo much to be in your upcoming game...  ;)
"For no one in this world can you trust, my son. Not men, not women, not beasts. But steel... THIS, you can trust!"

Offline Deepfire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »
SETTING - As announced - the characters just reached 2nd level, we changed our sessions to "weekly", all players are hot to continue, so it LOOKS like we will play this campaign for a longer time: Midnight

TYPE OF CAMPAIGN - More or less straight from the book  -  like some kind of Fellowship of the Ring campaign, just after Sauron won :-) Players transport some kind of secret from the hand of a dying dwarf to the hands of the elven-queen/goddess - on the other side of the heavy orc infested realm.

CHARACTERS - Mixed folk: Northlander Bard, Desert Warrior, Forest Ranger, City Dweller Mentalist (I think), Southern Magent

RULESET - RMFRP - new german edition plus german Charactar Book, Weapons Book, Magic Book.

Fun.
Currently DMing:
Traveller - Tripwire

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2010, 01:21:15 PM »
SETTING - As announced - the characters just reached 2nd level, we changed our sessions to "weekly", all players are hot to continue, so it LOOKS like we will play this campaign for a longer time: Midnight

TYPE OF CAMPAIGN - More or less straight from the book  -  like some kind of Fellowship of the Ring campaign, just after Sauron won :-) Players transport some kind of secret from the hand of a dying dwarf to the hands of the elven-queen/goddess - on the other side of the heavy orc infested realm.

CHARACTERS - Mixed folk: Northlander Bard, Desert Warrior, Forest Ranger, City Dweller Mentalist (I think), Southern Magent

RULESET - RMFRP - new german edition plus german Charactar Book, Weapons Book, Magic Book.

Fun.

Sounds like a great time.  I would play a cousin of Eowin, hunted like the rest of his family by the forces of the Witch King for revenge on Pelenor fields.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Deepfire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2010, 03:41:32 PM »
It IS a great time - getting better day by day. Midnight is a setting worth of an official Rolemaster Conversion.
Currently DMing:
Traveller - Tripwire

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »

Fun.

Sounds very fun!
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »

Fun.

Sounds like a great time.  I would play a cousin of Eowin, hunted like the rest of his family by the forces of the Witch King for revenge on Pelenor fields.

...rest of HER family...

sigh.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2010, 02:45:51 PM »
I still have my Celt References, so I wonder if a Celtic Campaign set in the British Isles would be extra cool. 
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
Setting: Homebrew - Arrylon

Arrylon is the first DnD 3E campaign I ever ran.  A friend of mine and I worked out a lot of material: maps, timelines, classes, feats, yadda yadda yadda.  The thing is, I don't care for that game anymore, but I keep coming back to the setting.  I really do think it'll work very well with RM (I prefer RMFRP).

The world of Arrylon is more or less traditional high fantasy, in that all of the regular races are there.  In particular, however, the Dwarves used to be humans enslaved by giants.  After spending centuries underground, mining ores for the giants, they grew strong, but stunted.  The human lands are split into more than a dozen countries, all built on the bones of an older empire that spanned the entire continent.  Some of the countries have moved on and developed their own cultures, but the core group are modeled after the old empire.

We have tinker gnomes.

The elves are the bad guys.  Way back in the past, they were created first by the gods.  But they turned their backs on the gods when they learned magic.  In return for which, the gods started over with humans.  Now the elves hate humans, even though they deny that the gods exist.  The ancient human empire was nearly destroyed when the elves invaded.  There has been more than one war.

And now changelings are beginning to be caught with increasing and concerning frequency.  No one knows for sure what their agenda is, but one in recent memory took an elven form and claimed to be the descendant of the elven commander who last invaded.

Then there is the prophecy of the keys, artifacts that when combined and used in the proper rituals are supposed to unlock the very gates of heaven.  The elves want it so they can throw down the old gods, while the humans fear that it actually opens hell instead.  Only time will tell.

Gunpowder and steam engines are just beginning to make an appearance, giving the whole world a kind of tech vs magic feel.  Right now, I'm trying to build a couple of races, a few new professions, and change the culture descriptions to more accurately match the world.

Back when we thought we might publish for 3E, we put a lot of polish on the setting.  But that was a while ago, and all I have is mainly the notes and scraps we had before we started writing the campaign guide.  Basically, I'm starting over...
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2010, 11:27:25 PM »
Tolen, that sounds freakin' cool!
I'd buy it.

I think I'm going to install Arcanum again... :)

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »
open a new thread for some help. Some people might share their resources.
Also check out the various electronic character sheets in the download section to more efficiently produce new races (and when finished upload it for easy character creation).
Get/ use Gamemaster Law: It ROCKS when designing any type of game, including huge new settings.

Perhaps when it catches on, the ICE forum might provide your own child board ;)
Game On!

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »
I've been considering the idea.  Right now, though, I have a lot of re-typing to do.
It would be nice to get some recognition, even if it's just a few fans on a BBS...
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.