Author Topic: Rolemaster and Roll20  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Belgerond

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rolemaster and Roll20
« on: August 12, 2021, 10:55:25 AM »
Hey!

I'm interested to test/ join if there is online groups. I have experience as GM and player about 26 years. English is not my native language, but I survey (books are in English after all).
I live in Finland, and exited to learn how other groups playing.
22 Years of Rolemaster or MERP as GM.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster and Roll20
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 08:22:04 PM »
I am assuming you have looked on Roll20 already. If not, do. Also:

Unofficial Discord: https://discord.gg/bpDhSmGD

Official Discord: https://discord.gg/sMbAUTNs

Both have channels for looking for games.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Just X

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »
I have a game going on over at Real Roleplaying Forums, http://www.rpgrm.com/rmsmf/index.php, the City State of the Invincible Overlord. We have NPC that can be test driven or create a new character.  Post here and I will get you started.   http://www.rpgrm.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=9247.0

Online Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 08:06:22 AM »
Again.. I havent heard anything from offial ICE people about online RMU! is that gonna be a thing?
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Online Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 09:48:17 AM »
Again.. I havent heard anything from offial ICE people about online RMU! is that gonna be a thing?

I am currently playing an RMU campaign on Roll20. We're using Google Drive for the character sheets (building and levelling), and the default Roll20 sheets that we just fill out with our own abilities and formulae. So you can already play RMU online. It's just that...

There is no official support for RMU at all for any of this. And since there is no character sheet, RMU doesn't show up as being played at all on reports like the Orr Industry Group Report. So ICE gets no free publicity, no one hears about RMU, and people who play an RMU playtest online find it much harder than it needs to be.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Amano

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 10:29:56 AM »
I believe there is now an RMU character sheet available on Roll20 (thanks to Pants).

Online Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 12:03:55 AM »
I believe there is now an RMU character sheet available on Roll20 (thanks to Pants).

There is, it is just that it is based on the (excellent) RMSS sheet, and therefore has some artifacts from RMSS that are no longer used by RMU in it, which can be confusing.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 10:05:56 PM »
I am currently playing an RMU campaign on Roll20. We're using Google Drive for the character sheets (building and levelling), and the default Roll20 sheets that we just fill out with our own abilities and formulae. So you can already play RMU online. It's just that...

There is no official support for RMU at all for any of this. And since there is no character sheet, RMU doesn't show up as being played at all on reports like the Orr Industry Group Report. So ICE gets no free publicity, no one hears about RMU, and people who play an RMU playtest online find it much harder than it needs to be.
As the full rules are not out yet, I can't imagine that a correctly made sheet could be either. That is the biggest stumbling block in RMUs way.

Personally, I would like the other sheets there to be bit more functional for their rule sets. And the RMC sheet to have more than 10 spell lists on the Magic tab.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 02:29:06 PM »

There is, it is just that it is based on the (excellent) RMSS sheet, and therefore has some artifacts from RMSS that are no longer used by RMU in it, which can be confusing.

I made huge strides on the skill section, and I am currently working the Spell section.  Check it out, and let me know what works.  I'll update here when I get the spell section done.

Online Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 02:46:24 PM »
Thanks Pantsorama. I didn't mean to belittle your work; I know it is a daunting undertaking.

I looked at the updated sheet. A few things I noticed:

Character Tab
--Stats: these don't seem to auto update. For example, I raised my character's temp and pot Empathy to 90, but the bonus still is nothing. How do I update that?
--Movement rates seem to be RMSS not RMU rates.
--Race/Stat fixed information: these seem to be RMSS artifacts (e.g. Soul Departure)
--Exhaustion Points: These are an RMSS artifact (RMU doesn't use Exhaustion Points)

Combat Tab
--Exhaustion Points are still here too.
--Breakage factors are RMSS not RMU.

Skills
Yes, I can see the progress here. The list is RMU rather than RMSS, so that's good.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 03:38:54 PM »
You can probably reuse those fields. Exhaustion points could be replaced by your endurance bonus and any accrued fatigue penalty. Breakage factors are called 'strength' in RMU.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Online Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 03:49:24 PM »
Breakage factors are called 'strength' in RMU.

There is another slot for item Strength in the sheet already. I think this is because both RM2 and RMSS listed items as having both a Strength and a Breakage Factor, which RMU thankfully reduces to just one factor (Strength). So you could probably just cut out the whole Breakage Factor  field now.

Good idea about reusing fields though.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 12:35:21 PM »
Thanks Pantsorama. I didn't mean to belittle your work; I know it is a daunting undertaking.

Oh I didn't take it that way.  Should I have?   ;D :P

I looked at the updated sheet. A few things I noticed:

Character Tab
--Stats: these don't seem to auto update. For example, I raised my character's temp and pot Empathy to 90, but the bonus still is nothing. How do I update that?
--Movement rates seem to be RMSS not RMU rates.
--Race/Stat fixed information: these seem to be RMSS artifacts (e.g. Soul Departure)
--Exhaustion Points: These are an RMSS artifact (RMU doesn't use Exhaustion Points)

Combat Tab
--Exhaustion Points are still here too.
--Breakage factors are RMSS not RMU.

Skills
Yes, I can see the progress here. The list is RMU rather than RMSS, so that's good.

There is a version 1.2 up there now (filename: sheet_RMU_v1_2.html)  Try that out

On the character tab:
stats should update now
movement rates are updated
no changes on race stuff - I will probably just remove this section in favor of putting info in next to the roll it modifies.
Exhaustion points is set up to fit RMU - no roll ability yet.  That is coming

Spells tab - added SCR.  This section is still in flux, but you should be able to get an idea where I am headed with it.

Combat
No changes yet.  That is next.

Online Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 02:29:33 PM »

There is a version 1.2 up there now (filename: sheet_RMU_v1_2.html)  Try that out

Hmm, I am not able to get the sheet to update. I logged into the game, but it is still using the older sheet (I selected it from dropdown menu in game settings). Has the new sheet gone live? Or is there something I have to do to enable the new sheet?

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 04:37:01 PM »
I am assuming you hit "Save Changes". ;-)

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2021, 03:04:32 PM »
I am assuming you hit "Save Changes". ;-)

OK - I changed the sheet name - and pushed up more changes.  When you see the sheet name change the other changes will be ready.