Author Topic: Sanctuary and the physical world  (Read 1318 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Sanctuary and the physical world
« on: March 04, 2016, 04:21:54 PM »
The sanctuary  spell says that one can reopen the door at any point along the wall up to 20 feet from the original doorway.  Does that refer to the dimensions inside the room (e.g if it was shaped and now is longer than 20') or also outside, in the physical world, i.e. can I use the spell to cross a river or move through a wall? That would open up an immense number of useful applications  for the spell .. and make way too powerful imho.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Sanctuary and the physical world
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:21:45 AM »
The sanctuary  spell says that one can reopen the door at any point along the wall up to 20 feet from the original doorway.  Does that refer to the dimensions inside the room (e.g if it was shaped and now is longer than 20') or also outside, in the physical world, i.e. can I use the spell to cross a river or move through a wall? That would open up an immense number of useful applications  for the spell .. and make way too powerful imho.

Unfortunately I think the doorway movement has to be real in both the magical space and the real-world.

This spell is non-canonical. If it gets revised for a future sourcebook, I would remove the ability to open the doorway somewhere else and the Mobile Sanctuary scaling option as a minimum.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Sanctuary and the physical world
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 07:42:20 AM »
The duration is also an absolute no-go, I think. Well, we've got the spell in the game already and the player has far too much invested in it to cancel it now. We'll see how it goes over the next few sessions.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!