Author Topic: Loremaster Legacy  (Read 29418 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Loremaster Legacy
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2015, 08:35:49 AM »
I always imagined them to be black. Maybe my GM was a bit too 2001 influenced, or I wasn't paying attention.

I'd always thought of them as black as well, so I looked for a description. From Eidolon (the old edition):

"featureless black, triangular pillar twenty feet tall. Formed of some shiny adamantine material"

So, black and shiny. Maybe depends on how the light hits it.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2015, 08:45:11 AM »
Yeah, my GM had black shiny ones.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Destyar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2015, 09:35:29 AM »
Editing away on book 2 (The Secret Circle).   ;D This is possible cover art.

I cannot possibly express with words just how pleased I am that this is moving forward.

Thank you so very much Mr. Amthor for sticking with it.

Thanks again,
--Desty

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2015, 09:39:42 AM »
I always imagined them to be black. Maybe my GM was a bit too 2001 influenced, or I wasn't paying attention.

They are black, or they appear to be black, but they are very reflective....
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »
Yeah, it is black but I made it very reflective - but the height is wrong - it was my first Obelisk attempt. :(

Since then though I have given them the correct height and given them a dark purple hue (as when the black obelisk is lit, it looks kind-of grey).

You can hopefully recognise the Guild these 2 Navigators belong to as well. :D

Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Craig! Of course, Obelisks might also vary somewhat...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »
On the general topic of the book. Those of you who have read the first one, constructive criticism towards improving the second book is more than welcome. I'm the first to admit that I am not that experienced with long narratives, and this sprang out of the online Journals of Kalen. I have been advised to 'show, not tell,' though something more specific might help. Maybe I am explaining too much?

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2018, 07:54:56 PM »
Been reading this for the first time. Overall I like it so far, and it is giving me a pretty good feel for SW as a setting in ways the sourcebooks don't. The sourcebooks are more of a birdseye view, and this is more personal.

I do have one criticism, but its related to the formatting as opposed to the content.

There really should be some kind of break when the text transitions to a different group of  people in a different part of the world. There have been several spots where I go from one sentence to the next, and I read the next sentence expecting it to be Kalen and Jad, but we've abruptly switched to the head of Gryphon College. Another example is going from Kalen meeting Vscount Ridgestone on deck to Randae in his office without even a carriage return in between them. It's a bit jarring. This is all on the kindle edition, and don't have the print to compare to.

For the good stuff I do like the characters, and in general I've always liked the little short stories that prefaced chapters in your source-books. I guess you can say I've always liked your style of writing, and the stories you want to tell. It's nice to see it working in a longer narrative. I wasn't quite sure what to expect in a jump from game source-books to a novel, but at the same time I am not surprised that I am enjoying it. It's not like the jump itself is unprecedented; after-all you have Weiss, Hickman, and Ed Greenwood as prior examples. It's just I think there is no guarantee a writer can make the leap from one to another with certainty, and you've done a good job of it so far.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2018, 12:53:26 PM »
Hungrily anticipating the next book as the first kept me wanting more of what to expect next....
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2018, 10:54:13 AM »
Been reading this for the first time. Overall I like it so far, and it is giving me a pretty good feel for SW as a setting in ways the sourcebooks don't. The sourcebooks are more of a birdseye view, and this is more personal.

I do have one criticism, but its related to the formatting as opposed to the content.

There really should be some kind of break when the text transitions to a different group of  people in a different part of the world. There have been several spots where I go from one sentence to the next, and I read the next sentence expecting it to be Kalen and Jad, but we've abruptly switched to the head of Gryphon College. Another example is going from Kalen meeting Vscount Ridgestone on deck to Randae in his office without even a carriage return in between them. It's a bit jarring. This is all on the kindle edition, and don't have the print to compare to.

For the good stuff I do like the characters, and in general I've always liked the little short stories that prefaced chapters in your source-books. I guess you can say I've always liked your style of writing, and the stories you want to tell. It's nice to see it working in a longer narrative. I wasn't quite sure what to expect in a jump from game source-books to a novel, but at the same time I am not surprised that I am enjoying it. It's not like the jump itself is unprecedented; after-all you have Weiss, Hickman, and Ed Greenwood as prior examples. It's just I think there is no guarantee a writer can make the leap from one to another with certainty, and you've done a good job of it so far.

Glad you are enjoying it. Are you reading an electronic version? Because I thought I was pretty careful to always at least do a double carriage return (so there is a blank space) when I changed scenes. I'm wondering if something happened when it was converted.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »

As an aside, I once had a drink with Terry Pratchett at a pub in Wellington and he was a very strange man.

I know I've come very late to this discussion, but... you can't drop a bomb like that on us an not give us at least a few more details!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2018, 07:49:58 PM »

Glad you are enjoying it. Are you reading an electronic version? Because I thought I was pretty careful to always at least do a double carriage return (so there is a blank space) when I changed scenes. I'm wondering if something happened when it was converted.

Kindle on iOS 11, but not the latest patch. Kindle app itself is up to date. Book was through the Kindle store. I'll look around in the app to see if there is a setting that is causing this. I've never messed with it, but if you put the double CR in then something has to be eating them.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2018, 06:19:39 AM »

Kindle on iOS 11, but not the latest patch. Kindle app itself is up to date. Book was through the Kindle store. I'll look around in the app to see if there is a setting that is causing this. I've never messed with it, but if you put the double CR in then something has to be eating them.

Ah, well, when LL was published a few years ago the epub export tools were pretty crude, especially from InDesign on the Mac, so I guess there were some glitches. Not as seamless as a PDF.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2018, 05:56:52 PM »
I did mess around with the settings a bit, and I didn't find anything in the app that might be causing it.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2018, 07:00:09 AM »
I did mess around with the settings a bit, and I didn't find anything in the app that might be causing it.

It may have been flaws in the export process that you cannot fix, unfortunately. As I said, exporting from InDesign to the online formats other than PDF were still buggy back then.

But again, glad you are enjoying it otherwise. Unfortunately the sequels are on a back-burner (but not dead) at present.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »
But again, glad you are enjoying it otherwise. Unfortunately the sequels are on a back-burner (but not dead) at present.

Well I've read through it twice now so um... yeah.

Totally understand about the sequels though. We're all anxiously awaiting the new / renewed Emer & Jaiman books, and then it sounds like maybe it's Thuul next. No pressure though. :D

To be honest as much as I want more of the story I feel some trepidation over the fate of various characters both good and bad. Shadow World wouldn't be quite the same as a game setting without Andraax or Vorig and even Ondoval. I can get though that as someone whose told stories as a way of living for something like 40 years, you've probably got things inside you need to get out. 

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2018, 12:29:16 PM »
I do have much of the second book written (some of it from old online snippets), but I have a few game books I really need to get out. We are way behind schedule.

And as far as characters. You know in most TV series (e.g. Stargate SG-1) the main characters are in peril, but you know they will always get out of it somehow. This is not 'Game of Thrones.'  In fact I was just watching the end of a SG-1 2-parter, where suddenly 3 Asgard ships show up and warn off Osiris (which flees), and Jack says "Oh, so that's it?" Like he was expecting some climactic battle.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2018, 07:46:03 PM »
And as far as characters. You know in most TV series (e.g. Stargate SG-1) the main characters are in peril, but you know they will always get out of it somehow. This is not 'Game of Thrones.'  In fact I was just watching the end of a SG-1 2-parter, where suddenly 3 Asgard ships show up and warn off Osiris (which flees), and Jack says "Oh, so that's it?" Like he was expecting some climactic battle.

Apophis's perennial rebound from death comes to mind. Peter William's made an appearance in the black comedy series Dead Like Me as a love interest for Cynthia Stevenson's character. Totally night and day different role, but it was a lot of fun seeing him in a role other than 'evil alien parasite with delusions of grandeur.'

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »
I'm re-reading the first book (it has been awhile) then going into what I have for the second book. I already have 3/4 of the text of the first book written in the second, so mostly need to clean it up and add some more. Also need some more action and less background...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2018, 05:07:06 AM »
Background, if it's to do with the background for specific characters and places that isn't really needed for the main story but would add depth, would probably work for a short story collection.
I made some things! Azukail Games