Author Topic: New to Rolemaster  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Flounder

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New to Rolemaster
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
Hello,
I am interested in giving Rolemaster a try, but am a bit confused about which version/books I should be looking for.  I have also seen mention of a new version being tested.   Should I wait for the new version, or should I start with one currently available?
Thanks,
Chris

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New to Rolemaster
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »
Download the playtest version. ;)

It's the cheapest option.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:58:17 AM »
Advantage of the playtest version is that it's free. Probably it will be updated in... a month or three?

Advantage of the other versions is that they have more supporting material available. RMSS/RMFRP are basically one edition, RM2/RMC is the other. You will find stalwart supporters of each here. I'm on the RMSS/RMFRP side of the fence myself.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »
Of course, if you want to try an ICE game that is a much easier and lighter RM type game, you could always go with HARP. Look into it.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »
There are three primary versions of RM to look at...

RM1 and RM2
     This is the original Rolemaster.  It was started as an "add on" product (essentially RM1) to other systems and eventually grew into a formal system (essentially RM2).  It's hard to get your hands on everything you'd need to make a go of this version, so it's pretty much of the old-timer RM fans.  It's also a little difficult to manage due to a seeming lack of organization if you're new to RM.

RMSS (Rolemaster Standard System) and RMFRP (Rolemaster Fantasy Role Playing)
     This is the first major revamp of the system.  I, and many others, think it's better presented, organized and balanced if you're just coming into Rolemaster fresh.  It's not as hard to find as the RM1/RM2 stuff, but it's hard to find everything at a reasonable price (some of it you'll have to track down in stores - probably online ones - or get off ebay).  The primary difference between RMSS and RMFRP is the main rule book, find one of them and the rest should easily fit in with either I think.
     This is what I use.  You'll want the...
     1. Main Rule Book
     2. Spell Law(s) - either one main one with all spell types or three divided into Channeling, Essence
        and Mentalism called "Spell Law... of Channeling" and so on.
     3. Arms Law
     4. Creatures and Monsters
Then look for the companions: Essence, Mentalism, Channeling.  Then Treasure Law, Character Law or Talent Law, and maybe Gamemaster Law.

RMC (Rolemaster Classic)
     This is basically a cleaned up and somewhat altered version of RM2 republished for the RM old timers.  I don't know if it'll be any easier or harder to find than RMSS/RMFRP.

Then there's RMU.  If you want a fully functioning system this might not be for you until it's actually done (there's no creatures and monsters beta book yet for example).  However, feedback from a new Rolemaster user to those developing it would probably be incredibly useful to them as one of the future goals is to draw in new players.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 09:43:56 PM »
There's good availability of both if you don't mind PDF. Print books are more limited.

RM2/RMC: http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=1361_6493
RMSS/RMFRP: http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=1361_6495
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 01:43:57 AM »
I want to add that there is also the Guild Companion Magazine for articles, reviews, and the like, some of it for systems other than Rolemaster. I've been submitting material there for a few years now, and am now one of the Rolemaster editors.

And I'm sure the lovely peeps on this here ICE board will love to help you explore the system (don't forget there is the Vault, the downloads section, linked to here as well).
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:28:24 AM »
OP: If you're going to really "invest" time into it, I suggest you go for the upcoming RMU version. Personally, I disliked RMSS (each to its own) and have enjoyed, greatly, Rolemaster 2 and Rolemaster Classic (a recent brush-up of the original books, basically), for a looong time, which means that the (many, no game is perfect) problems I've found in some rules have been ironed over the years. Now I'm not sure about release dates, but even at its beta stage I personally find RMU a marked improvement in so many areas over an already excellent system.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
OP: If you're going to really "invest" time into it, I suggest you go for the upcoming RMU version. Personally, I disliked RMSS (each to its own) and have enjoyed, greatly, Rolemaster 2 and Rolemaster Classic (a recent brush-up of the original books, basically), for a looong time, which means that the (many, no game is perfect) problems I've found in some rules have been ironed over the years. Now I'm not sure about release dates, but even at its beta stage I personally find RMU a marked improvement in so many areas over an already excellent system.

+1. Good advice. I'm also a RM2 fan and never cared for RMSS, but since RMU is the future of the system you're likely best getting started with the free beta stuff.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 09:28:24 AM »
Quote from: Flounder
New to Rolemaster

Well Come! 

rmfr

P.S.- Why is not "Rolemaster" in the spell checker?
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 12:34:44 PM »
Don't want to start any great debates about RM2/RMC vs RMSS/RMFRP

But, for the OP, info: RM2/RMC fans stuck with the original system when RMSS/RMFRP came out and there's nothing wrong with that.  You just need to keep in mind they 'grew up' with RM2 and therefore have molded it to their tastes.  There are so many add-on books that the organization and power creep can be a real problem for people NEW to RM.  So, if you are a very good GM and understand power balance well you'd be ok.  I have no idea how well RMC addressed the power creep that occurred in RM2, but I suspect it helped the organization a fair amount. 

I won't go into a long history, but we played 2nd Ed D&D and integrated RM1 and RM2 products into it, but eventually decided to look for a new game system.  We moved to MERP (Middle Earth Role Playing) which was effectively a 'Light' version of RM.  When we decided to move to full blown RM that is when RMSS was coming out, so we looked it over and compared it to RM2 and decided to go with the newer version simply for organizational purposes and started integrating RM2 material back in (re-writing the pieces partially for balance reasons).  The only game mechanic design reason we went with RMSS vs RM2 is because the way the round worked just sucked imo (and a lot of RM2 users will actually agree on that).  However, a point against RMSS/RMFRP is that it never did match RM2 in terms of material published and it's going to be quite a while before RMU beats either in that regard.

The problem is you can't just go pick the stuff up off a shelf and compare them anymore.  The only decent brick and mortar stores near me actually has RMC on the shelf, but nothing else and you'll still eventually want to find old RM2 books to use with it.  So, I'd say maybe pick up the main rule book for RMSS or RMFRP, for RMC, and download the RMU materials and see which you like the looks of better.  If you go with RMSS/RMFRP or RMC then you can start picking up old RM2 books and convert them over (not hard once you have a handle on the system - just watch the power balance of new materials).  If you go with RMU you won't have a lot to work with right away.  The creatures and monsters (beta) book really needs to be put out for it before you could fully use it imo.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Flounder

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »
Thanks very much for all the replies.  Based on what I've been able to read online, the combat sequence is the hardest for me to get my head around.  However, I guess that a play test will be the only way to get to grips with it.
Thanks,
Chris

PS any open Rolemaster games in the Knoxville area? 

Offline Lord Garth

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 05:00:13 AM »
Thanks very much for all the replies.  Based on what I've been able to read online, the combat sequence is the hardest for me to get my head around.  However, I guess that a play test will be the only way to get to grips with it.
Thanks,
Chris

PS any open Rolemaster games in the Knoxville area? 

Well, whichever way you go, hope you enjoy Rolemaster.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 06:02:28 AM »
Another question for you would be, Are you looking tos tart your own game/Local game.

Or are you looking for a game to play in.

If your looking for a game Online, I am currently running one every other Sunday evening that has a spot available..

Note that I run a RM2/RMC version with houses rules. But I can pretty much bring you up to speed on things.

I do like where RMU is going with the combat charts, if not with the combat rounds.

I prefer to use a Second by second style of combat rather than a % of action round.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Flounder

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »
Warl, thank you for the offer.  A chance to play would be great, though I haven't gamed online yet.  I hope to run a game locally at some point, but not until I have a good grasp of the system.   A second by second combat round would be interesting;  Hackmaster 5e uses a second by second count during combat that I thought might work in Rolemaster.
Thanks for all the replies, the input has been very useful.  I think I may try to get a hold of the Classic books, at least in PDF.  I may also give HARP a try.
Thanks, Chris

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 10:54:56 AM »
you would be welcome. If you decide you want in on the Game, let me know via PM.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/