Author Topic: Any eBay experts/sellers in the house?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Any eBay experts/sellers in the house?
« on: August 18, 2013, 06:16:47 AM »
I have a question about a listing I have on ebay. It's for a new computer I built but no longer want. However it's been listed now for over a month. No bites. Not even an offer. I can only assume that either the listing looks fishy or I don't know something about the market on those who want to buy a desktop computer.

I don't want this to come across as spam. I'm just curious if it can be established that I have overlooked something in trying to sell this. Perhaps selling desktop computers takes time. I figured something like this would be easy to sell.  :(

The listing can be found here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181195271232?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Any eBay experts/sellers in the house?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 08:34:11 AM »
 I know they are not the same PC and not put together, but look at these; http://promotions.newegg.com/combo/13-3655/index.html .
 Also the one thing I can see is the OS as that might hold people back who are not PC proficient and will set them back about $100 or so.
 I just dropped $400 + on a ASUS Z 87 Pro MB and i5 4670K. Also since I was using a PC I had not built and I did not print the details for (bad me) I did not see I could not use the ram inside of it for the new PC. So back to the PC store.
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »
I was wondering if the computer not having an OS was an issue or not. I would have to buy the OS myself to install since I don't have an OS to install on it and because of that I have to add that to the price of the computer.

Right now, it looks as if the price, based on the NewEgg site, is probably about right. I have an extra SSD drive attached to it, with a Blu-ray player which raises the price around $200 and I'm still below that. I hope all it is is the OS cause I can't go lower on the price. It's already well below market value in my opinion.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
I think the most daunting thing about putting a computer together is getting all the drivers installed and working together with no conflicts. The actual assembly is not hard. The buyer in this case, if they don't plan to use Ubuntu, would not have any assurance about whether all the drivers will come together easily or be a struggle.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 02:59:57 PM »
True. The only way to know definitively is to install windows. In all the computers I have put together I have never once encountered an issue where Windows ran into problems with the hardware. However, I've built quite a few machines and the buyer is not so experienced, so perhaps they are worried if the machine will even work with Windows. I guess this is a case of me assuming that people should know the things I know.  ;) However this being the case, the odds are against this selling without Windows installed. Hmm...

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
Monk, I know this is bitter beer, but what stops me from being interested is not the OS, which I am familiar with (and prefer over Windows) but the fact that I am in Australia. So I am :( that I won't be buying it.

I don't know about the States, but where I live none of the ISPs that I can deal with support Linux, which is a real pita for me. If they did, I'd be all over Linux like a rash....
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 06:08:22 PM »
Aye, if someone is comfortable setting up their own OS and all that goes along with it they are likely comfortable building their own computer anyhow.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »
Ah... so there in lies the issue. That makes sense Cory. I guess the majority of computer buyers are wary to install the OS themselves. They would rather it be already installed. So it appears I need to install Windows or hope for a miracle.  :(

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »
See if you have any local computer shops that would sell it on consignment for you.  None of the big boys will I'll bet... but where I am there are a few independent computer stores that the computer geeks frequent.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 09:09:39 PM »
 Go for a copy of W7 if you can and be sure to get an OEM copy by buying something small that you need for other projects.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
There is a person here I could ask if they are interested in a consignment. If they are not, does anyone know of places in or around Madison WI that sell computers on consignment? That's the closest major town I am by. If that doesn't work then I guess I will have to pick up an OEM copy of Win7. Amazon doesn't seem to sell it for less than $90. :(

Thanks!

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 09:28:07 AM »
May you can try for an auction, ask people to bid.