Author Topic: Reviews  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Reviews
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:16:44 PM »
I'm curious why more people don't write reviews on RPG now for SW or Rolemaster, or any products. Is it a pain? Do you feel like you can't write an honest 5-star review? I'm just curious. I do notice that even on huge (supposed) sellers like the Numenera stories there are only a few reviews, so maybe it is not limited to ICE; is it cumbersome to do a review?

I would like to see more people write reviews, even if there were four or even three stars (and yes honestly, if lower, please let us know why and maybe it is something we can fix). Feedback is important, and reviews affect other potential buyers, as those of you who shop on Amazon must surely know. So... why are you reticent to give a review?

Thanks for your responses in advance!
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
Re: Reviews
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 11:37:55 PM »
Myself, I review poetry, and find I've only the time and energy to write reviews that are about poetry nowadays. Besides, I don't feel competent enough to review gaming materials, so tend to avoid considering to do so.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 03:06:15 AM »
 I do not write reviews for ICE stuff and I volunteer as a Mod and I think that might skew some peoples opinion of my review.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »
Same as MarkC, I've worked on just about every GCP/ICE product so that leaves me out.
I think you'll find it's a matter of the customers perspective.
Not everyone is confident at writing,
Perhaps they couldn't care less to put in the time(which I think is the major cause),
or they don't have an invested interest.

Considering that society/consumer is much in a spontaneous buy frame of mind these days it doesn't surprise me that no one cares to write reviews.
For me to write a decent review for a book/product it has to be dam good for me to spend 10-15 minutes writing telling how fantastic it is. If the product
was really a bowel venting pant load, I'd spend less than 5 minutes telling how it stank and to keep away.

Sometimes I just look at the star rating and the number of customers in parenthesis beside the rating to make a judgement.
I do this a lot with Amazon to determine my choice of wether to buy or not, I think this is successful in product marketing. I don't
have to read the reviews to know that it's a great book, the stars and customer number has given that to me already. The reviews
are really just the icing on the cake. If I do read the reviews I read the low star rating customers to know what they thought wrong with it.

From a marketing viewpoint, I would reward customers with a discount to there next purchase on the companies products to encourage written reviews.
Reward your customer for their time to write a review, something worth looking into hey?

I too find this topic interesting as I'm studying for my diploma in commercial advertising/marketing and graphic design.
So I'm keen to hear others view point as well.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 05:24:59 AM »
Writing reviews is pretty difficult, even short ones, beyond relatively useless ones like "I like it," "It sucks!" and "Doesn't work on my machine."
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline cdcooley

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »
I came back from a long vacation to find Loremaster Legacy finally ready. Because I have other things claiming my attention now that I'm home, after a week I'm still only half way through reading this new version of the story. It's an odd experience for me. I've re-read the web version so many times that I think I'm catching almost every little change of wording. But the changes are good and the new scenes I've gotten to so far are great.

I'll try to write a review as soon as I make it all the way to the end, even if all I say is "I love it and can't wait for part 2." But writing a good review is hard, especially if you want it to be short.

Offline kyussopeth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:29:12 PM »
I don't write reviews due to laziness. Even writing this now I'm angry that I 'm wasting time that could be used working on my SW campaign. However I have begun by joining this website. I want to review a number of SW products, however as a non-RM GM my review would only be of the setting "fluff" which will hopefully bring more attention to my favorite setting, but like I said I'm lazy and have all kinds of plans. I would love for Shadow World to recieve it's due and become at least as renowned as RM itself.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:47:32 PM »
Welcome to the forums, kyussopeth! :)

I'd like to see what you'd come up with in a review. One topic which may or may not interest you is how easy it is to adapt Shadow World material to non-Rolemaster systems. I'm sure it would interst others than yourself, and it would help to not only raise the Kulthean profile but (indirectly) Rolemaster's profile as well.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline kyussopeth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 03:12:14 AM »
I'm sure it would interst others than yourself, and it would help to not only raise the Kulthean profile but (indirectly) Rolemaster's profile as well.

Yes it is easy to convert I have been running an AD&D 2nd campaign using Shadow WorldI did some up front conversion to make the rules more RM like (though i doubt it would satisfy a serious RM fan) including using spell points, crit charts & redesigned spellcasting classes to fit the same professions as RM2.

Doing this took a few hours up front & made prepping before sessions simpler & quicker.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 05:45:38 AM »
Yes welcome to the ICE Forums kyussopeth.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.