Author Topic: Geek Theme Song?  (Read 3137 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Geek Theme Song?
« on: July 23, 2013, 05:51:57 PM »
the video and song is self explanatory and very entertaining.  Also topical...I can't help myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Rjy5yW1gQ&feature=share
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Geek Theme Song?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »
I especially liked:

Who died and made you batman?!

Wait. Was it your parents?

In that case I'm very sorry.

Nevermind.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
We have similar taste  :D  I laughed out loud when she held up that sign.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:54:27 AM »
I'm the first to say I'm a massive poetry geek, so a lot of the song didn't apply to me, but then that's cool.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:55:59 AM »
It prompted me to call up a friend I haven't talked to in most of a year, give her the link, and tell her I love her.

About half the girls in the video reminded me of her....
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »
I'm more of a history geek than anything, but I get their point. At least they pointed out that some of the snarkage comes from within the "geek community" and not always from outside.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »
My wife used to get the negativity also.  As she put it, "You expect me not to be a gamer geek when you have all those RPG books and gone for several months in the Navy?"

She even admitted that being a gamer geek helped her through the times I was gone on missions.  She even admitted that reading my sci-fi and fantasy library helped more than reading other stuff.

She got hooked by marrying a sci-fi/fantasy/gaming geek.

I'm more of a history geek than anything, but I get their point. At least they pointed out that some of the snarkage comes from within the "geek community" and not always from outside.

How true.  I am told many times that I ain't a geek because I don't have a comic book collection or memorobelia (?msp) or artwork collection.  I tend towards more of being a book and maps collector.  And when I mention all the sci-fi series and movies I have on DVD, I am still told I ain't geek enough.  I then respond that they are not geeks, but ____ole jerks.

Well, as far as I am concerned, I am a geek.  And damned proud of it.  I am up there with GOF with being a geek before geek was a word.  Back then, the term was nerd.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
Same here. Back then the term was nerd, at least when it came to history stuff. I didn't run into "geek" until I had some friends who were in the comic book and sci-fi crowd. I never got into either one, so I guess I'm some sort of "sub-par" geek (a "wanna-geek" perhaps).
Darn that salt pork!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 04:14:50 PM »
I am told many times that I ain't a geek because I don't have a comic book collection or memorobelia (?msp) or artwork collection.

Beethoven's deafness didn't keep him from hearing the music... it only kept him from hearing the distractions.  ;)

A geek's real "collection" is in his head, the shelves and closets full of stuff you pull out to help other people see it are just props. Props are cool and fun and all, but it's not like they're necessary. You have to have an imagination, and you have to have the ability to communicate. Everything else is bells and whistles, useful perhaps, but not vital.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 04:33:01 PM »
Thank you, Mr Grumpy! :)
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »
If you don't think that's so, read Fahrenheit 451 again and remember where they keep their books.  ::)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »
If you don't think that's so, read Fahrenheit 451 again and remember where they keep their books.  ::)

Amen!

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
I dug that song and video. And the geek shall inherit the Earth... 'nuff said.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline KacyCrawford

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 10:34:17 AM »
the video and song is self explanatory and very entertaining.  Also topical...I can't help myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Rjy5yW1gQ&feature=share

Cool video.