Author Topic: College of Magic Errata  (Read 3812 times)

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
College of Magic Errata
« on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »
Didn't find a thread for this so I'm starting one.

Page 76 Table 9.2:
Thaumaturge
Bladeturn not marked as an instant spell
Deflections not marked as an instant spell

Vivamancer
Nature's Strength and Nature's Tongues out of alphabetical order.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: College of Magic Errata
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »
Thanks!

I'm personally adding "cancelling a spell".

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 03:28:02 PM »
Top of page 47
Talent Inner Strength
Is this supposed to also give a bonus on Mental Focus or all Concentration skills?
If not then why is it even listed in College of Magics as it really doesn't apply
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

Offline Wm_Humphrey

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:52:11 AM »
I have two players in my game who are Shadowblades, so I am working on converting Codex spells to the new CoM system- and am making a spreadsheet utility to help. I have a question regarding the Duration tables on p.38 & 39.

Column 1 is clearly the cost for a fixed duration and Column 2 is the cost for a given duration per rank of skill in the spell. For Column 3, the note says that the cost is for a duration of concentration up to a maximum limit. But is that maximum duration fixed or per rank of skill? The text ("** = caster must concentrate, up to a maximum duration") implies that the maximum is fixed, not per rank of skill. But there are no spells with a duration of that type. There are, however, several spells ("Glowing Eyes", "Cool", "Heat") with durations of "# Rounds/Rank". Which is supposed to be?

Thanks in advance!

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »
From what I understand (and hey, I may well be wrong), the caster must concentrate for the spell to be effective, but may not exceed the listed time. The spell's duration expires, that is, if the caster stops concentrating before that time limit, or at that time limit (whichever comes first).

It could be said, then, to be a fixed upper limit.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Wm_Humphrey

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:13 AM »
The text of the note supports your interpretation but there aren't any spells with durations that look like "# Rounds (C)". And there are several whose duration is "# Rounds/Rank (C)". If the Duration table is indeed supposed to give the cost for the former, what would the costs for the latter be?

From what I understand (and hey, I may well be wrong), the caster must concentrate for the spell to be effective, but may not exceed the listed time. The spell's duration expires, that is, if the caster stops concentrating before that time limit, or at that time limit (whichever comes first).

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »
Top of page 47
Talent Inner Strength
Is this supposed to also give a bonus on Mental Focus or all Concentration skills?
If not then why is it even listed in College of Magics as it really doesn't apply

It is only meant to give bonuses to Chi skills. this is a deliberate change mindful of the psionic abilities coexisting in the Concentration category if someone is doing a HARP Fantasy/SF crossover. despite not necessarily being so relevant for the main focus of College of Magics as a consequence, it was decided to retain it in the book as I don't yet have anyone lined up to do a martial arts sourcebook and so didn't want to remove it from the game for an unknown period.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »
The text of the note supports your interpretation but there aren't any spells with durations that look like "# Rounds (C)". And there are several whose duration is "# Rounds/Rank (C)". If the Duration table is indeed supposed to give the cost for the former, what would the costs for the latter be?

The third column is meant to be timeinterval per rank (C), e.g. 5 rounds/lvl (C), etc. i will make that clear before we create the CoM print masters.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
Nightvision erratum:
Nightvision scaling options has

Improved Vision +4 PP (can see up to 100' in total darkness)
Improved Vision +4 PP (can see up to 100' in magical darkness)
Improved Vision +6 PP (can see up to 100' in Utterdark)

1st option should be +2 PP.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline sunwolf

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »
Two more items.
Elemental Resistance pg 81
The element type Fir should be Fire (though my Druid would love it)

Stone Skin pg 84
All the scaling cost for improving DB are too cheap, they start at +3PP and go up in +3PP increments they should be +4PP increments like Mage Armor, Tree Skin and Steel Skin
Anything that makes the GMs life easier without messing the game up will always get a vote from me.

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 04:45:36 AM »
Two more items.
Elemental Resistance pg 81
The element type Fir should be Fire (though my Druid would love it)

Stone Skin pg 84
All the scaling cost for improving DB are too cheap, they start at +3PP and go up in +3PP increments they should be +4PP increments like Mage Armor, Tree Skin and Steel Skin

Thank you. I've requested Terry to make these final errata and then we will send the print masters into OBS/LS.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell