Author Topic: Inspirational Music  (Read 1731 times)

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
Inspirational Music
« on: November 29, 2012, 01:54:25 AM »
Hawkwind, Live Chronicles

I thought I'd start off this thread with an obvious classic from a classic band. Live Chronicles is a condensation of the saga of Elric of Melnibone, and features many classic Hawkwind songs, along with new, spoken word material by longtime Hawkwind collaborator, Michael Moorcock. The sound quality of the recording is excellent, and there is almost a studio levl of quality to the whole.

How can it help your Rolemaster game? Well, apart from set pieces for encounters, it can serve as a general mood enhancer, and as inspiration. The earlier, US boxed set had the first Elric story in a booklet, so if you find that version there is that to add to the magic as well.

Enjoy!
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Inspirational Music
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 04:44:52 AM »
I've never used it for RPG-ing but I'm a big fan of this website: http://8tracks.com/ internet radio that allows you to play playlists organised by specific tags. There is an RPG tag so have a listen and see what you think.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:57:42 PM »
Colin -
Thank you....  Really enjoying this one....
http://8tracks.com/eka_sakti/songs-from-rpg-game-mix
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:21:28 PM »
Heard a little of Hawkwind - interesting history I didn't know.  Lemmy?
From their story they sound a little like Blind Guardian (although I really can't get into them). 

Our GM usually has several CD's on shuffle - typically anime & other soundtracks like the Pirates movies, Game of Thrones, etc.

In general we avoid music with lyrics - we have enough distractions.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
Same here, we have a lot of orchestra oriented CD's going typically.  Blood and Thunder, Heavy Classix and soundtracks like 13th Warrior, Conan the Barbarian, Pirates of the Caribbean, Gladiator, etc.  If it's violently futuristic along the lines of Cyberpunk we might have something like Tony MacAlpine, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc. (all purely instrumental rock) playing.

I used to have a CD of encounter music (sword fighting and the like) that was pretty cool, but it disappeared over the years.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss