Author Topic: What Scale of Adventure do you Prefer in a Module?  (Read 2939 times)

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
What Scale of Adventure do you Prefer in a Module?
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »
G'day!

This is a companion question to the other poll. Briefly, what scale of adventures interest you? Do you prefer shorter, smaller scale adventures, or longer, more campaign-length adventures? Do you also appreciate adventure hooks, ideas not fleshed out?

By all means, your comments are very welcome, and I hope I have (at last) allowed for more than one scale at a time (I'm still learning :) ).

Bonus question: Do you prefer the adventures and adventure hooks in one, dedicated section, or integrated into the length of a text? (For example, say I detail a village, then I could add adventure hooks alongside descriptions of places and NPCs.)

Thank you for your time and patience.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: What Scale of Adventure do you Prefer in a Module?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:22:13 AM »
Bonus question: Do you prefer the adventures and adventure hooks in one, dedicated section, or integrated into the length of a text? (For example, say I detail a village, then I could add adventure hooks alongside descriptions of places and NPCs.)

Bonus-wise. My wife and I have been working on a structure where encounters tied to a location (aka "fixed") are detailed with that location. Random encounter tables and "floating" encounters (specials in an area but not fixed, available to use or not) are at the end of the module's sectiion. (Adventure hooks - if in sufficient numbers - could also be a table with the random encounters - otherwise we put them in w the locations.)

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:43:09 AM »
I voted for the Mixture because I like all versions.  Sometimes we want a short and quick adventure that can be completed in one session, sometimes a medium adventure that takes two to five sessions, and sometimes the campaign adventure that takes six plus sessions and practicly does not end or is left open-ended.

Then there are times we want a break from it all and play Star Fleet Battles, Monopoly, Penny Ante Poker, even Uno or Scrabble.  The group I play with are just simply gamers to be gamers no matter what the game is.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »
I voted large scale.  These sorts of adventures normally recquire considerable work by the GM (me), but they help create that backdrop villian no one really knows about and can result in some long term gaming fun (Curse of Kabis took  almost a year and 80+ sessions to complete, without the party hearing the name Kabis until session 30+).

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »
Large scale is my own doing.  The campaign I'm working on possibly running is essentially a home-brew world with a slightly magic and heavy armor lite world along the lines of very early handheld firearms technology.  So there will be ship battles and cannon, but handheld firearms will be rare.

So, what I want are one or two adventure modules (which I called one adventure for the purposes of the poll as our sessions run 12 hours plus) that I can drop into my setting.  Adventure modules are something I do not bother with, but I raid them for idea and maps all the time... so if it was a decent self-contained RM based module that I could just drop into my setting then I'd buy it.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline NanoEther

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:38:14 AM »
I do like when an arc provides for additional hooks, but I prefer when the core adventure is kept clean. When I'm writing my own outlines, I tend to highlight the text as a reminder about potential hooks (bold, italics, highlight, colored text). And put the bulk of the hook in another section.

Stand-alone hooks I tend to add to as a campaign progresses, sometimes these become adventures in their own right.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »
I like a mixture of adventure sizes because it is good to "mix" things up.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.