Author Topic: Re: Future RM Modules  (Read 4648 times)

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
Re: Future RM Modules
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »
I'm interested, given that the topic has come up elsewhere in this forum regarding adventures, in wondering what sort of adventures would help you best as a GM. Do you prefer one that is one or more adventure locales, with minimal wider setting, one that is a region, or one that is a mixture of the two?

Please feel free to comment and elaborate below; you will be helping me when it comes time for me to write and submit material in the future.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Re: Future RM Modules
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:50:26 AM »
I think all 3 have their place. That said, if you perceive a dearth of available material, I'd think the obvious place to start would be with the one that combines elements of the other 2.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »
I chose #2 because I think those are the ones with the most promise to sell, also, more info, more info and more info.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
I voted #2.  My world is a snadbox and I like modules that help flesh it out, which allows me to createadventure hooks.

Of course, I've been gaming as GM from my beginning in this hobby circa 1980.  When I first started, I would have picked #1 without question.  Pure adventure modules helped teach me how to run an adventure (Top Secret and Gamma World was my forst exposure to dedicated adventure modules...I did not play ADnD till around 86 when I was invited to a ToEE campaign that ran into those giant and drow modules).

Old MERP modules tended to be #2, though the $6 books were straight #1.  Runequest...I'm gonna stop, cuz I could talk about this all day (until 1PM when the Lions/Greenbay game starts anyway).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline tillon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »
I voted #1, my worlds are well mapped out and trying to place a regional modules in my maps tend to take to much time finding a location near the players. I would rather get one with a place to take the players and kill stuff some times. Some thing I miss from DandD modules. I use modules as the fun in between main story quests to brake things up.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 11:21:59 AM »
  To attract the new-er type gamer inexpensive not cheap into adventures are the best to keep them IMHO more expensive adventures creep into the equation.
  But region books can do wonders for mid-beginning to advanced gamer's and keep the fan base once you have them.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 05:48:14 PM »

I voted #2 as I find both types of modules are of use (I like how Middle Earth or Harn regional modules completed the individual adventure modules). Also if you have a game setting that doesn't have a lot of content, you'll need those regional modules for the backstory/content.
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 01:13:58 PM »
My two cents...

I loved the MERP modules and the Tolkien setting.  I also love old Dungeon Magazine adventures, I love old Gygax modules, I love campaign world systems like Darksun, Dragonlance and my favorite - Planescape!

The format of the old MERP modules was appealing and also the Shadow World campaign setting.  They really seemed to capture the essence of the RM system.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:22:27 PM »
Thank you for your detailed responses, and thank you to everyone who is voting. I have a very clear idea of which is the most valued option, and I'm interested in seeing how the voting pans out.

I'm also about to set up another poll, following on from this one, asking about the scale of the adventures in any proposed module.

Thank you for your time and patience,

Phillip
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 06:50:47 AM »
Yeah, it seems pretty clear that we like to have modules that also contain a fair amount of setting material for the area the adventure(s) set. That helps when you want to expand on the adventure, that is for sure.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 09:46:23 AM »
I voted for the adventure and regional because the group I play with likes both.  We like just the adventure for the shorter advens (1 to 3 sessions) and the regional if we want a bit longer adven (4+ sessions).

As posted elsewhere:
I voted for the Mixture because I like all versions.  Sometimes we want a short and quick adventure that can be completed in one session, sometimes a medium adventure that takes two to five sessions, and sometimes the campaign adventure that takes six plus sessions and practicly does not end or is left open-ended.

Then there are times we want a break from it all and play Star Fleet Battles, Monopoly, Penny Ante Poker, even Uno or Scrabble.  The group I play with are just simply gamers to be gamers no matter what the game is.

rmfr

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.