Author Topic: Equipment and skills  (Read 5093 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Equipment and skills
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »
  In your opinion should not some equipment cause penalties or bonuses to some skills? I do know that now some of this stuff is handled by weight penalties but I also think some special case's should be talked about.

For example I am mainly thinking of the frame pack making it harder to do some acrobatics or inter fear with swimming.

What do you think? And what are some of the special cases you can think of?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Equipment and skills
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 11:31:01 AM »
Like a really superior set of lockpicks, that kind of thing?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline mistrornge

• Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »
I would think mastercrafted items may increase skill totals but of course be many multiples more expensive.
GMing RMFRP in Forgotten Realms
Charles Morris

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 02:00:19 PM »
I would say it is for the GM to take such encumbrances into account when setting difficulty. My golden armor would be a big minus to Hiding in a sunny swamp, but a bit of a bonus hiding in the king's treasury. The rules cannot cover every eventuality and should not attempt to do so.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 08:45:15 AM »
 I was thinking more of negative things that can impact skill use then positive things.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
So you mean equipment hindering beyond encumbrance?

Only if people insist on wearing wall shields while climbing trees, or build backpacks that'd put a draft camel to shame, that I'd worry about that.
Calculating encumbrance is not something people already enjoy and adding "bulk" rules will not ingratiate the GM any further...
Game On!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 09:21:51 PM »
So you mean equipment hindering beyond encumbrance?

Only if people insist on wearing wall shields while climbing trees, or build backpacks that'd put a draft camel to shame, that I'd worry about that.
Calculating encumbrance is not something people already enjoy and adding "bulk" rules will not ingratiate the GM any further...

Yes.
   So for example a Frame Pack of holding IMO should have some negative impact even though it may not weigh anything.

I know that enc is a pain and I am on both sides of the equation, being GM and player. I just thought that there were/might be some obvious ones people use for negative values like they might use some equipment positive values. Like using a pole to help cross a tight rope.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »
A good way to figure what may give penalties, watch "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.  Pay close attention to Samwise Gamgee.  Look at all he is carrying and how it is attached.  Then you can get a good idea of how carried packs encumber other than by weight alone.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 11:55:57 AM »
A good way to figure what may give penalties, watch "Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy.  Pay close attention to Samwise Gamgee.  Look at all he is carrying and how it is attached.  Then you can get a good idea of how carried packs encumber other than by weight alone.

rmfr

I remember personally as I did a lot of hiking with the scouts when I was younger, 580 something in one year. I often joke that I just should have done an extra 80 miles so I could get the 600 mile patch.
  But also we did have a lot of specialized equipment and it was not like we were just hunting for out food.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
Then you can get a good idea of how carried packs encumber other than by weight alone.

Not least in that it changes your center of mass, and therefore your balance. That changes according to bulk as much or more than according to weight, it seems to me. A 10 kg weight strapped to your chest wouldn't be as cumbersome as a 5kg weight kept 1m distant, I'm thinking.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
Then you can get a good idea of how carried packs encumber other than by weight alone.

Not least in that it changes your center of mass, and therefore your balance. That changes according to bulk as much or more than according to weight, it seems to me. A 10 kg weight strapped to your chest wouldn't be as cumbersome as a 5kg weight kept 1m distant, I'm thinking.

And that also...

I remember personally as I did a lot of hiking with the scouts when I was younger, 580 something in one year. I often joke that I just should have done an extra 80 miles so I could get the 600 mile patch.
  But also we did have a lot of specialized equipment and it was not like we were just hunting for out food.
MDC

I only got to the 500 mile patch.  But I did so much marching/hiking in the military that I think I earned the 2000 mile patch?  Don't really know.  But it could have.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
I won't claim to have the mileage to be an expert. But I'll claim to have the mileage to have noticed things that seem to act a certain way, and throw them out there for the actual experts to confirm or deny.

Most of my hiking hasn't been organized at all, it's been more "out in the woods/mountains/canyons with my buddies", and pack in and out anywhere from 5-30 miles each way. And in the military I was a fleet squid. I "hiked" from the computer room to CIC, a matter of about 50', every week or two, if that helps.

::)

But... you live in Albuquerque, right? In the Sandia foothills south of the crest, between the crest and I 40, there's a little canyon called Piedra Lisa I think, that has a rock face partway up the canyon. Not a hard climb for a veteran climber, but challenging for an ignorant newbie.

And yes, I've noticed on that very face that something as simple and minor as a pack of cigarettes in the wrong place or one shoe tied tighter than the other will make a lot more difference than I thought. I can just imagine trying it with Sam Gamgee's pack on my back, and imagining it is as far as I want to go in that direction, tyvm. Those fallen rocks at the base of that face don't look comfy to land on.

:o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »
I was thinking more of negative things that can impact skill use then positive things.
Such as a cape/cloak? Quite light but try to climb with one, as it would just catch the winds~
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
(Visions of "The Incredibles". . ."No Capes!")
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »
Such as a cape/cloak? Quite light but try to climb with one, as it would just catch the winds~

And could snag on things...

(Visions of "The Incredibles". . ."No Capes!")

None of my Champions characters ever had a cape.  They throw off all the aerodynamics of flying.

rmfr

Offline Morgian

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 02:21:41 PM »
I think I get what you mean. And if I do, you have to play it by ear, as there are no rules for it.

If you wear a heavy backpack you have problems with jumping far or fitting into tight corridors, but you have also a kind of automatic shield on your back (and nobody is going to stab right through Sam Gamgees stuff :) ). When wearing gloves to protect you from poison needles when working a lock, you lose some feeling for the lockpicking. Wearing dark and light clothes is good for sneaking and infiltrating, but chainmail would be better, if a guard actually catches you - but doesnt do much for the sneaking of course.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 07:14:23 PM »
Running with this, it might be possible to factor in modifiers in the skill descriptions. For example:

picking locks might list:

No implements = -25
Improvised implements = -15
Poor implements = -10 to -5
Lockpicks = +0

with higher bonuses for lockpicks of quality/magical nature.

Otherwise, keeping to equipment descriptions, as per older versions of ChL, have the bonus/modifier listed as per those items considered an improvised weapon.
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 08:10:10 AM »
  I also just thought of no snow shows, or poor snow equipment, etc. Thanks for that Hurricane Sandy, it was not a push that I needed. I also hope those people get the help they need until the who mess get figured out.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.