Author Topic: Did anyone ever actually put their RMSS books in binders?  (Read 6207 times)

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Did anyone ever actually put their RMSS books in binders?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 02:11:14 PM »
Yeah, page protectors just don't flip and thumb through as nicely.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 10:31:29 PM »
but they keep the pages so nice and neat.  additionally, the pages don't get the drip spots  :o  as easily  ;D

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »
but they keep the pages so nice and neat.  additionally, the pages don't get the drip spots  :o  as easily  ;D

rmfr

I agree.
 But I would have to say that if the perforating drastically increases the price I would do without it. I will just photocopy the pages I need.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 07:06:03 AM »

rmfr

Yup, just yesterday the &*%$# dog dropped his muddy, slobbery ball on one of my RM books.  Thanks to the sheet protectors, no damage was done.

Offline aarcc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 06:33:41 PM »
No. As we don't have 3 ring binders in the UK. 2 or 4 are usual here.

Offline Jinor

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »
I didn't use binders, but I took my "...and a 10' pole" and all three of the separate spell laws from FRP to an actual bookbinder. I had my 10' pole put into hard covers with black velvet finishing and the three realm books combined into one hardcover with burgundy velvet finishing. It ended up costing almost three times more than the books themselves per book, but they have lasted well for the last five years without any noticeable tear or wear.
Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
I didn't use binders, but I took my "...and a 10' pole" and all three of the separate spell laws from FRP to an actual bookbinder. I had my 10' pole put into hard covers with black velvet finishing and the three realm books combined into one hardcover with burgundy velvet finishing. It ended up costing almost three times more than the books themselves per book, but they have lasted well for the last five years without any noticeable tear or wear.
Very nice.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »
Those books sound way too nice for my game table. Spilled munchies, soda and beer are way too common. The players and me can get excited, jumping from our seats and knocking a book to the floor.

Then there's the sculpy clay, dry erase markers and chalk dust. Chalk board paint was a good idea but it can be messy when transferred to hands and eventually books.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Jinor

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
Let's just say I have instilled a healthy sense of dread to my fellow players about ever even spilling a drop on my books.  ;)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »
I'm with providence13.  I ain't gonna spend that kind of money on something that even has the slightest chance of spills getting on it regardless of dreading my players even unto death.

If I were to spend that kind of money, they'd go into my "No One Touches But Me Book Collection."  They'd NEVER see my gaming table.  Or anybody else's.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline Jinor

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 03:50:49 AM »
The books are meant to be used, so it makes a little or no difference if they are velvet covered or in a binder. Why get something nice if you leave it to collect dust? As a sidenote, we don't allow drinks on the same table and no alcohol at all during a session. I have been playing for 10+ years with the same group of friends and there has never been a spilling accident during a session. I did ruin a merp adventure module by myself once, but that was the first and (hopefully) last time. Hmm.. I probably jinxed myself now. ;D 

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 07:32:29 AM »
Why get something nice if you leave it to collect dust?
Because I am a book nerd.  :o
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »
Why get something nice if you leave it to collect dust?
Because I am a book nerd.  :o

I am also a book nerd.  But I am also a book collector.  But the "nice" books do not just sit on the shelves gathering dust.  I do pull them down off the shelves and clean the books and shelves.  Of course, not everyone does, but I do.  Besides, that is what one does with a "showcase" book.  You never let others handle it, and you only take it down to show off, but not to use.

Good example, I still have the First Edition Hardbound copies of There And Back Again (it is actually labelled that way and not "The Hobbit"), The Lord of the Rings books, and The Silmarillion.  They only get touched by me (or Elyse).  I may let me mum look at them, but that would be it.  Only I get to touch them.

As a sidenote, we don't allow drinks on the same table and no alcohol at all during a session.

And hate to say it, but I'd never play in one of your sessions.  I have always allowed snacks and drinks at my table.  Makes the session more friendly, the way it is supposed to be.  Not like a University lecture where food and drinks are not allowed.  The only exception I have is when we actually break to eat a meal.  Sometimes, at my house, I'll cook a supper for all the players.  When eating the supper, there is no role playing allowed, just a meal with friendly conversation.

And the occassional accident is easily overlooked since all paperwork is also in electronic form and can easily be reprinted.  If any notes were made, they can easily be copied from the "ruined" papers to the new printouts.  However, accidents at my tables are exceptionally rare because everyone does not want to be the one who makes the booboo.  Additionally, when at my house, we use a table with built-in cup holders.  There are some poker tables made that way.

rmfr

Offline Jinor

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
When I wrote "on the same table", I probably should have added "as the books" as we have more than one table when we play so we don't have stack everything on a single table surface no matter how big it might be.  ;) Also, there is a major difference between a Rolemaster rulebook I can replace easily and a first edition classic. If my books were signed by Coleman Charlton, Peter Fenlon and Terry Amthor with a unique cover art from Angus McBride, I would do things differently, but as neither velvet nor hardcovers are not unique in that way I just enjoy them and let others do the same.  :)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 09:43:01 AM »
Jinor,

And I officially apologize if I sounded harsh.  It was not my intention.  I just come from a time where there was so much violence when I was a kid in our backyards (60s and 70s), and my time in the USNavy (80s), that I have taken a laid-back, chill-out kind of approach on life.

I'd rather take the chance of someone accidentally spilling a drink to make my gaming environment the same say.

Besides, I'll always remember an incident when my wife and twin daughters were still alive and gaming.  One of my daughters had to sneeze, and in the process, accidentally knocked over her drink.  It spilled all over my wife's GM station and lap.  I saw she was going to explode in anger.  I then reached up and purposefully knocked over my drink onto my GM station and onto my lap.  I then stared my wife in the eye and said, "She did that by accident.  I did it on purpose.  Now what?"  My wife stared me in the eye for about 2 to 4 seconds, then literally busted out laughing and fell out of her chair, still laughing.

Moral: There is no reason to get angry over a spilled drink.  It happens.  If there is something you do not want to get spilled on, then do not put it in such a postion.

Again, I apologize if I sounded too harsh.

rmfr

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
Jinor,
 I might take a picture and submit it to the Guild Companion for others to see just what they can do with a little thought.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Jinor

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 07:44:45 AM »
arakish, no worries. I might not be as chronologically experienced as you are, but I too have shifted my attitude toward life in general and have found out that positivity always wins. Let's be happy we have books, can read and are able to enjoy them through gaming. I apologise for any bad feelings that may have risen from my words.

markc, did you mean for me to take a pic or you? Who? What?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
Jinor,
You take a picture of the books and send the file to the Guild Companion so they can show the pic to everyone.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Jinor

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 07:01:29 AM »
Oh, I think I will then. Patience though as they are figuratively on the road.  ::)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »
Oh, I think I will then. Patience though as they are figuratively on the road.  ::)

No problem and hay maybe it will start a new trend in people showing off just what they have done with their RPG books and how much they love them.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.