Author Topic: Crazy Zombie Questions  (Read 3151 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Crazy Zombie Questions
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:15:21 PM »
 Thinking about some strange Zombie things and not a big fan of the junra (sp? Google did not help) I was wondering if people could provide some answers or comments.
 1) If a Zombie loses its flesh in any way does it cease to exist? Or die? (I am going on the idea that just cutting off the flesh will not kill the Zombie and it takes more forceful ways to actually damage the Zombie)
 1a) Normally only cutting off the head of a Zombie or shooting it in the head will kill it what about fire? Acid? (In both cases I guess you would have to get the head vs the body)
 1b) Since it seems (I could be wrong) the head is the key would you model this? Only do damage on specific crit types? (ie a crit of B or higher does damage and everything less than that does nothing or no effect) Or maybe roll a location for every attack and a 80 or above on a D100 is an head hit.

Thanks
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline gamerprinter

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Gamer Printshop
Re: Crazy Zombie Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:37:38 AM »
Thinking about some strange Zombie things and not a big fan of the junra (sp? Google did not help) I was wondering if people could provide some answers or comments.
 1) If a Zombie loses its flesh in any way does it cease to exist? Or die? (I am going on the idea that just cutting off the flesh will not kill the Zombie and it takes more forceful ways to actually damage the Zombie)
 1a) Normally only cutting off the head of a Zombie or shooting it in the head will kill it what about fire? Acid? (In both cases I guess you would have to get the head vs the body)
 1b) Since it seems (I could be wrong) the head is the key would you model this? Only do damage on specific crit types? (ie a crit of B or higher does damage and everything less than that does nothing or no effect) Or maybe roll a location for every attack and a 80 or above on a D100 is an head hit.

It would depend on your zombie type I guess. Are all zombies the same? I'm thinking voodoo zombies, typical RPG zombies (D&D, HARP, RM) and the military experiment gone wrong type zombies are 3 different monsters.

That said, I don't think #1 works. #1a - only if the head takes severe damage from acid or fire (as in practically burning off). A simple splash of acid for some flesh damage in my mind is not enough to stop it/"kill it". For #1b - haven't played with hit location since D&D 1e, since I don't play ICE systems - this is outside my expertise...

I think another option is disabling a zombie, that is chopping off both its legs and/or arms wouldn't stop a zombie from biting you if you stumbled on one, but if you avoid its proximity, it's effectively no longer a threat.

GP
Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting and adventure arcs.

RPG Map Printing service

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 07:56:30 AM »
...not a big fan of the junra (sp? Google did not help)

"Genre", perhaps?

It depends on your rationale, your "game logic", for the existence of various kinds of undead. In short, is a zombie stripped of flesh an undead skeleton? What defines the difference?

I'd guess that it's a matter of how severely you damage the brain.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:24:41 AM »
The Created Undead in RMC CM get into that a bit. . .RM undead regenerate.

So, unless you de-fleshed the zombie to make it skeletal, then destroyed the flesh permanently or locked it up in a box, it'd just re-build back to rotting corpse look.

The early types just come back together, so will look like a mass of rotting burger. . .as they advance type, the flesh re-builds progressively better, until the max type look like perfect, if pale people with rings under their insane eyes. . .along the way you get progressive versions. . .like the "flesh re-builds but skin doesn't" tattered looking types that'll eventually if they keep going and taking damage, end up skinless zombie types.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:57:45 AM »
An example of defining what is meant by "zombie" under the game logic...

If the zombie is a zombie through control by a spell, presumably it would remain a zombie until the spell's integrity failed or the body was so broken the spell has nothing to "attach to" (I presume this is the idea behind the "destroy every cell" approach). Fire, ice or lightning.

If it's a disease capable of "operating" the body after it dies, it's going to be subject to the limitations inherent in the body to a greater or lesser degree. For example, sever the muscles in the upper arm, the elbow on that arm can't bend (in one direction at least) because there is no muscle to apply leverage. Break the bone and it can't do much except dangle, as there's nothing for muscles to lever against.

Those are the main two rationales, the "fantasy zombie" and the "SF zombie".
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 03:21:19 AM »
and then there's the gay zombie, that only eats Brians ;)
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/