Author Topic: Flaws in Training Packages  (Read 3289 times)

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: Flaws in Training Packages
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 03:18:58 PM »
I'd have to dig out GM Law to reproduce the chart and we're packing for a move but the more skill ranks a race has the cheaper they get.  This is similar to how Training Packages were re-done by Tim.  The old ICE actually changed the calculation used for Training Packages over time.  Originally it was 3/4 base costs but they set up a scale that made hugely expensive packages an even bigger bargain.

Do you have any source for the original price being 3/4?

The thing is that I am pretty certain that the reason old ICE changed the training package costs was because there wasn't any real system in the beginning but just assigned costs with some arbitrary adjustments of the price to make it feel right. Old ICE claimed that it was a formula they would not share to the public, and many suspected that each book used a different formula. If I recall correctly it was when Craig O'brian answered questions about RM that a official formula was released...but it did not match the published numbers.

There was a spreedsheet made with fixed costs. In the typical ICE fashion the adjusted costs existed in different spreedsheet downloads...Rasyr made it into one single official spreedsheet that had every TP around 2003 or so. Yet by then the cost formula for TPs had been around for a number of years.
/Pa Staav

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »
Is the "Official TP list" that was (is?) available for download considered RAW at this point?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 07:42:43 AM »
Is the "Official TP list" that was (is?) available for download considered RAW at this point?

As far as I know, yes it is.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.