Author Topic: Emer III  (Read 25246 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Emer III
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2013, 03:53:01 AM »
Terry; Have you ever considered writing short stories to server as introduction to the modules? I find it hard to introduce the players to a new setting and thought maybe a well written short story set in the campaigns social and political environment could be a way to go.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
Terry; Have you ever considered writing short stories to serve as introduction to the modules? I find it hard to introduce the players to a new setting and thought maybe a well written short story set in the campaigns social and political environment could be a way to go.

Well, many of the sections of my modules do have little fiction vignettes to add some flavor, and I'm just about done with the first ShadowStone novel, but I am guessing that you are suggesting something in between? Something that was sufficiently generic that you could give it to the players to read and not give away secrets but pique their interest?
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »
Terry; Have you ever considered writing short stories to serve as introduction to the modules? I find it hard to introduce the players to a new setting and thought maybe a well written short story set in the campaigns social and political environment could be a way to go.

Well, many of the sections of my modules do have little fiction vignettes to add some flavor, and I'm just about done with the first ShadowStone novel, but I am guessing that you are suggesting something in between? Something that was sufficiently generic that you could give it to the players to read and not give away secrets but pique their interest?

Yes. Introduce the setting and spark an interest. The Shadow stone novel will be too long I guess. These little vignettes I have not encountered, but I am a new fan, though. 
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »
Been a while since it went into TGC for editing.  When will Emer III drop?!?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2013, 12:30:49 PM »
I loved the little vignettes at the beginning of the Master Atlas I think it was. Those really added some flavor!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2013, 11:34:52 AM »
I confess that I am part of the holdup. Nicholas has returned the main ms with edits, and we agreed that it deserved an additional major section of adventures, which I have been wrestling with for a few weeks. I hope to get that file to him this weekend. Other than that, it only awaits the beautiful new Emer map already in progress, and layout (which I will be able to do rather swiftly). There is a ton of gorgeous art (and my—serviceable I guess—dungeon/city layouts, a la Xa-ar) already done.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »
I think I have those requests above pretty much covered. Adventure text turned in to NHMC (18 pages more!), and corrections done to the main text, so the preliminary page layout begins. Still needing some interior art, but the layouts are pretty much complete.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2013, 08:33:13 AM »
Still deciding on the art for the cover...

Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
That's neat. I am assuming it is the Khum-kaan jungle, right?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2013, 02:49:14 AM »
Greetings, first post here so go easy on me.  ;)

Long time fan of your work, Terry, as you can no doubt tell by my username. Super excited for the imminent arrival of Emer 3 but my question for yourself and others here in the know actually concerns the preceding titles in this series: Emer 1 and 2, and Halkitaine. I have an opportunity to pick these up in printed form but am I to understand they are going to be revised and rereleased in the near future? I'd like to know because if this is the case then I'd rather not spend the money on soon-to-be obsolete editions.

Any information or insight would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2013, 04:13:50 AM »
Working on layouts for Emer III adventures. For some reason, SW layouts have evolved into a dichotomy of (mostly) hand-drawn for the above-ground structures, and Adobe Illustrator for underground. I suppose it is because I like the above-ground to look more rustic, and I prefer to draw the trees, etc. And drawing is a nice break from the computer.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2013, 04:17:41 AM »
Greetings, first post here so go easy on me.  ;)

Long time fan of your work, Terry, as you can no doubt tell by my username. Super excited for the imminent arrival of Emer 3 but my question for yourself and others here in the know actually concerns the preceding titles in this series: Emer 1 and 2, and Halkitaine. I have an opportunity to pick these up in printed form but am I to understand they are going to be revised and rereleased in the near future? I'd like to know because if this is the case then I'd rather not spend the money on soon-to-be obsolete editions.

Any information or insight would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

Hi Valkrist,

Perfectly reasonable question! You are quite right that all of those books are slated for revision, expansion, and re-release. I don't how much difference the scheduling makes, but Eidolon is on track to be finished first, followed probably by Emer II, I, then Jaiman or Haalkitaine. I'd like to get Eidolon done in the next month, and Emer II by the end of the year, but we'll see. The others will be months down the road at least.

Hope that helps.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »
Thank you, yes, that is very helpful indeed. As much as I want to get into reading them, I won't buy the current editions since newer ones are indeed coming. I think Nicholas mentioned that everything from now on will be PoD, so I assume that will include these new editions as I much prefer hard copies over PDFs.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2013, 09:22:56 AM »
Sent off the layouts for the Emer III adventures (and ended up expanding the text even more...) so, it is 'complete' again! Snakes on an airship! (j/k...?)

Back to layout.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2013, 07:13:39 AM »
Spent the morning (literally: midnight till around 7; I have become a night owl) doing Emer III layout. The preliminary is done all the way up to the Adventures and Charts section, which are both out of my hands for now, but the page count now is at 147, and the Adventures/maps/charts are going to add another 30-35+ pp. easy.

Also waiting on some illustrations. I do need to do the indexing pass, so some is still on me, but overall, the beast is falling into place. While I wait, back to Eidolon/Emer II (the two are kind of linked, with interlocking timeline events of course) and then I think this week I will return to the Wuliris/Tarania/NE Jaiman module.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2013, 05:21:33 AM »
I may be getting a little carried away with Emer III. It's 5AM and I am doing a 'Dangerous Plants Encounter Table' for the rainforest.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
You should only start to worry when you get to a Dangerous Cupcakes Encounter Table for the bakeries....
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2013, 04:44:33 AM »
I think I can safely say that (with the notable exception of the gorgeous Player's Guide), that Emer III will be the prettiest SW book ever. All 200-ish pages of it.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
While I wait, back to Eidolon/Emer II (the two are kind of linked, with interlocking timeline events of course) and then I think this week I will return to the Wuliris/Tarania/NE Jaiman module.

There's a Wuliris/NE Jaiman module in the works? Awesome! I love that area... especially after a campaign we had there where my Leader popped on the Lich Crown, took on the Dragonlord and became the new king of the area. I think it's a great place to adventure, with Tanara and Urulan to the south and the brooding dragonlord to the north. Can't wait to see this!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
While I wait, back to Eidolon/Emer II (the two are kind of linked, with interlocking timeline events of course) and then I think this week I will return to the Wuliris/Tarania/NE Jaiman module.

There's a Wuliris/NE Jaiman module in the works? Awesome! I love that area... especially after a campaign we had there where my Leader popped on the Lich Crown, took on the Dragonlord and became the new king of the area. I think it's a great place to adventure, with Tanara and Urulan to the south and the brooding dragonlord to the north. Can't wait to see this!

Sounds like a great campaign! Lich Crown? I assume this was from the Sky Giants module? To be honest, I am reworking the area quite a bit for this module (at least the Sky Giants part). I'm planning to provide a little more about the Zor Wastes, and more about the region, including a new Elven sub race, and some of old Taranian tech underground, including (finally) some more about the subshuttle.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.